Old 09-22-2018, 01:57 PM   #15
17 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
Langley , British Columbia
We rent our Airstream and without doing this, we would not own one. Let me rephrase this. The company owns the Airstream and we use it whenever we want.

Old 09-23-2018, 06:39 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' International
2010 22' Interstate
Carol Stream , Illinois
Renting AI

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICKBETTY View Post
Has anyone considered, looked into renting their Interstate , when not using, to help offset cost? There are sites like RV Share that advertise and connect you with potential renters. Of course they would have to be screened and approved by owners. I know there are risk involved such as additional insurance cost, liability, etc.
I love my AI and take excellent care of it, that said I would never rent it out. I can think of times, that as a careful owner, had made costly mistakes. Even if you rent to someone who tries their best and makes mistakes, maybe not realizing it, then returns if where you may not learn of their mistakes until you take it on your next trip which may be doomed by the damage.
Even simple things like running the house batteries down to zero which basically ruined them. You may not discover that until later. Or flushing something into the toilet that damages the mercerator pump. Running an inner doulie tire so low that the tire had permanent damage, trying to start the generator and forgetting to turn the LP switch on then cooking or damaging the starter etc etc etc.
Good luck on your decision. Not to sound like a downer but there may be other ways to offset the cost of your purchase.

John Millner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:34 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

lancing , Tennessee
My car insurance wanted to know if I participated in uber or anything like uber.

I would expect it to be hard to cover the insurance increase if I had an airstream I rented out.

IT would greatly help offset costs, but I would check the insurance increase first.
biere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:08 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Thousand Oaks , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
What is the middle man's take? In every scheme in which there is a middle manager, they are typically the only ones who make money. Land-based property management companies typically demand 40%, and they get it. If your van is renting for $220/night (Gocampervans), that kind of rate would leave the owner with $132/night. Hardly seems worth it.

I haven't actually pulled the trigger on this but when I talked with Gocampervans, their take was 25%. That seemed reasonable to me based on the proportion of the hassle they managed.

I think the primary drawback for a lot of folks is the miles that renters would add to the odometer. My unit already had about 80K when I purchased it last year so the mileage is less an issue for me.
Ryoungca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 11:41 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Really!!!

What you’re saying is: I shouldn’t have bought the AS, or circumstances have changed in my life. Renting your stuff — ultimately — is a major headache. Especially, something as MOBILE as YOUR Airstream!
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 11:51 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
I would never rent ours out, nor would I even loan it to anybody. There are too many things to teach relative to the electrical and plumbing system, height, clearance (of lack there-of), etc.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 02:40 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly of Center Moriches, NY) , South Dakota
"Let me rephrase this. The company owns the Airstream"

WHAT company???? Did you form a corporation/business to monetize your Airstream?

Carefully check your insurance policy. What does it say re authorized drivers?

Bottom line; mistakes with RVs are often expensive (and sometimes dangerous). You have a valuable item worth six figures (or more?). Do you really want strangers using (abusing?) it?
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 05:11 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Never in a million years. And if my sons want to "borrow" it, they will have to attend my RV school and pass my tests! And I may still go with them! And they would probably say "forget it" at that point and I'd say ok.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 05:43 PM   #23

2019 22' Sport
estes park , Colorado
Renting your AS is a game of russian roulette. Although over time, the costs of additional maintenance probably are slightly less than the income you make, the problem is you don't know what costs will be incurred and when - just that they will be at some point. The probability of you getting 100% perfect rentals is 0. It only takes one, one afternoon rental, to trash your vehicle and then you are $000s in the hole. I rented a different vehicle (40ft Class A) that was three years old, in perfect condition, and the first user put the slide out without disengaging the slide locks despite the fact there were notices posted. Huge damage. I wouldn't do it unless you are desperate, and willing to absorb big costs at some point during the rental period, and enjoy the tension of knowing there is one bullet in the chamber.
MaggieScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:50 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , AZ to Maine
Does It Matter?

Phunny, as a riff raff Airstreamer, I would never consider allowing someone to deposit their bugs into my bed or drool onto my pillow.
The idea of someone's foot fungus oozing, spawning or mutating into my cheap carpet repulses me.
Not going to mention my toilet.
That is why I no longer use motels, hotels or B&B's.
If you have some time I will tell you how I really feel about lending out my Love Shack.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:55 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanologist View Post
What you’re saying is: I shouldn’t have bought the AS, or circumstances have changed in my life. Renting your stuff — ultimately — is a major headache. Especially, something as MOBILE as YOUR Airstream!
It could be looked at as a major headache. Or it could be looked at as a part-time job. I wouldn't do it myself, but there are plenty of people and companies out there that rent pretty much everything you can name, and turn a profit doing so. I have a good friend who became wealthy by developing what I initially thought would be a rental suicide mission.

There are plenty of people and companies out there that rent pretty much everything you can name, except legal-sized scanners. I'm decluttering and downsizing and I don't want to have to buy a new scanner just to scan one big batch of legal-sized hard copy documents (real estate paperwork, certain contractual paperwork, etc.). Nobody rents legal-sized document scanners. I checked.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 02:38 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Alexandria , Kentucky
Rental not for me

I quit enjoying rented motel and hotel rooms when I started to look around the bed before checking in. Piled up insects around the margins of the bed, a suspicious smear in the bathroom, a tissue stuffed down the bed, etc. It just all began to feel...dingy.

My 23' AS doesnt feel that way because I wont let it get that way. Having other people inhabit my AS would result in dingy...over time. Nope...this is MY indulgence.and I worked hard for it. Good luck if you rent, but in my experience, anything ive ever rented has never sparkled the way my AS sparkled.

Good luck if you decide to rent it out.
istdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:32 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitte View Post
I rented an AI via Outdoorsy and the funny thing was that I knew way more about the rig from my internet research than the owner. ...
I was hoping that the whole Outdoorsy scene would quietly disappear for lack of viability, but it is NOT going to go quietly, if at all:

https://techcrunch.com/2019/01/15/ri...fresh-funding/

It's one thing to Airbnb a living quarters. There's little if any learning curve with a house or a room. The same business model with complex rigs is another thing entirely.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:29 PM   #28
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I was hoping that the whole Outdoorsy scene would quietly disappear for lack of viability, but it is NOT going to go quietly, if at all:

The same business model with complex rigs is another thing entirely.
INTERBLOG - I can not go that far. There is a big market for high-end rentals of anything. In Las Vegas, you could rent a million-dollar F1 McLaren race car, jewelry, any machinery, military tanks, you can even rent high-end <persons>. But you pay an arm & a leg for doing so. Same thing with multi-million dollar house boats and yachts and power boats. Same with private jets. A very rich local friend (but not rich enough to own his private lear jet) had partial ownership (like timesharing). And he isn't a good person to rent anything to because he (or his kids would trash it). But still, he paid a fortune for that to be worth it to whoever owned it. That was the only time I had ever experienced flying in a private jet. WOW! Call me shallow but people who say money isn't everything, yes it ain't but it sure beats the heck out of being poor.

I had rented house boats, power boats, and LUX rv (rental company). That's how I was able to decide/settle on which poison to spend my money on. Without those rentals, I may not know I liked the rv better than a house boat. I am sure given the right incentives and protection clauses in the rental agreements, there will always be people willing to take the risk to rent their rv, boat, yacht, planes, space shuttles, skylabs, etc.

So personally, I would not want it to quietly disappear. Sometimes, that might be a bucket-list dream for someone, just to experience the lifestyle for a few days. When that time comes and you are ready for a PREVOST or EARTH ROAMER, hopefully you have a choice of renting one for $2,000 a day -vs- putting down a $200,000 deposit on an order only to find out after delivery it ain't what you thought it would be. AFAIK, one can even rent an ARV nowadays. Those I would not mind renting. But no way I am getting inside one of those Cruise America rentals

OK, having said all that, still no way I am renting mine out EVEN to my own family until/unless I am no longer physically able to drive it anymore.

Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote