Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2016, 10:29 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Infant seats

Looking to get AI Grand Tour and hit a road block regarding available options. The 2016/17 have the LATCH system only in the Lounge models. Anyone have a GT and incorporate an infant child seat? We love the GT layout. Thanks
xaggie95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 04:08 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Auburn , Georgia
We have only had the grand kids ride with us on a few camping trips. The side jump seat belts were to long even with a booster seat. I basically put a knot in the belts to shorten them. The belts in the rear are bolted to the floor and tighten by pulling the strap. The other thing you might not have considered is the inherent very bouncing ride in the rear of the Interstate because of the heavy springs installed. The ride can be jarring at times and probably not good for sleeping babies.
I would suggest reading through the threads on this forum to see what you are in for.
Great adventure and aggravation at times.
GETRIDAONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:18 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bradenton , Florida
I'm not sure I understand the question.. Do you not want the latch system? That is the best way to anchor a child seat..

If you do not wish to use the latch, you put the seat belt through the child seat and use the adjuster bracket to adjust the seat belt to make it tight..

You can also go to any hospital, fire station or sheriffs department and they will help in making sure the child seat is installed correctly..
Mjgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
That is a tough call. You will probably have this coach long after car seat days, but at the same time the convenience and safety of the latch system is way ahead of using belts because it is intercepted to the seat and usually has the required top anchor for when you move to forward facing.

I don't have an Interstate, but I would opt for the best seat for the infant and that would be the one with the anchors in the second row.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:02 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Thanks everyone. I was unsure that utilizing a seatbelt was an option since most vehicles have the LATCH system installed. I reached out to Britax and confirmed that their seats work with either LATCH system or seatbelts. Ignore the newbie panic.
xaggie95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 05:18 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Las vegas , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaggie95 View Post
Thanks everyone. I was unsure that utilizing a seatbelt was an option since most vehicles have the LATCH system installed. I reached out to Britax and confirmed that their seats work with either LATCH system or seatbelts. Ignore the newbie panic.

If you plan to use the lap belt to secure a forward facing car seat just make sure that the back of the vehicle seat has something you can use to secure the tether strap (which goes over the top of the seat). It seems not all AI seats have this feature.
elgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 06:34 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GETRIDAONE View Post
...The other thing you might not have considered is the inherent very bouncing ride in the rear of the Interstate because of the heavy springs installed. The ride can be jarring at times and probably not good for sleeping babies.
+1. Some kids won't mind this, but others will. Looking back to when my own daughter was car-seat-sized, I never could have taken her in an Interstate - she would have gotten horribly sick. As it is, I have to be on the alert constantly for my dog vomiting (which HAS happened).

And I absolutely would not have taken my daughter as a newborn (< 6 months) with limited neck control. I would have worried about injury, even in a newborn car seat with the head-stabilizing construction.

There was a new debut to the B-ish market this week, from a company called Maxvan. In this video, the narrator says, "We don't start [our RV conversion process] with a truck, because when you start with a truck, you end up with a truck [with all of its roughness and discomfort]." Very true, that. Not intending to promote this option, just putting it here for comparative purposes:

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:06 AM   #8
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjgman View Post
I'm not sure I understand the question.. Do you not want the latch system? That is the best way to anchor a child seat.
The problem is that the LATCH system on new-model Interstates is a second-row-seat installation. The Grand Tour doesn't have second-row seats.

As others have noted, the rear sofa and side-facing seats in back aren't equipped for LATCH.

On the plus side, there are infant/child seats made for use in airplanes that don't use LATCH; they attach by seat belt only. One of those would work in a Grand Tour. But if it was up to me, I wouldn't put it in back. I'd spin the passenger-side front seat to face the rear, and put the seat there. Much smoother ride for the little one, and the rear-facing passenger seat would protect them from going into the windshield or dashboard in the event of an accident.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:48 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2019 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Acworth , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
The problem is that the LATCH system on new-model Interstates is a second-row-seat installation. The Grand Tour doesn't have second-row seats.

As others have noted, the rear sofa and side-facing seats in back aren't equipped for LATCH.

On the plus side, there are infant/child seats made for use in airplanes that don't use LATCH; they attach by seat belt only. One of those would work in a Grand Tour. But if it was up to me, I wouldn't put it in back. I'd spin the passenger-side front seat to face the rear, and put the seat there. Much smoother ride for the little one, and the rear-facing passenger seat would protect them from going into the windshield or dashboard in the event of an accident.
Are there side airbags though? this would be problem with this set up?
Airbusmama is offline   Reply With Quote