Old 02-18-2019, 09:17 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdavitt View Post
Yeah, but Maggie, think about it. No more black tank, no more stinky slinky, and a sterile powder you can throw in the trash. Like I said, it's intriguing.

Pat
Yeah, not so much for me.

I am barely dealing with routine propane, here.

Y’all have your fun with incinerating toilets, I will watch from the sidelines.

Simple is me,

Maggie

Old 02-18-2019, 09:20 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
@Alex, exactly. That's why we need more detail to do a proper cost-benefit comparison of the OP's options. Hence my laundry list of questions.
And if he doesn’t want to participate in your engineering feats, IB, he can opt not to.

Maggie

Old 02-18-2019, 10:01 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
La Pine , Oregon
I've been looking at the Tiny John for my property. My initial concern is that it is made out of plastic and $3,350.00 seems like a pretty steep price - especially for plastic. I received an email from their customer support and was told that all of the "internals" are steel or stainless steel and they are coming out with an all steel version. Their website leaves a lot to be desired regarding detailed information. I was emailed a YouTube video that shows an actual unit installed in a home.

There was supposed to be an installation manual attached to the email but it wasn't included.

One issue is a 3 inch vent to the outside is required, which may present some challenges in the AS in addition to getting propane to the unit (the rep said the propane tank is typically located outside of the structure).

If I get the installation manual I'll upload that.
andyherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:05 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
And if he doesn’t want to participate in your engineering feats, IB, he can opt not to.

Maggie
The beauty of this is that it's a straight cost-benefit analysis, which may or may not require any engineering at all.

For instance, not to lead the OP witness, but in SOME private landownership circumstances of limited occupancy, the way to go might be a rental porta-pottie. Depending on MULTIPLE factors including (1) geographic location (2) desired frequency of servicing (3) ease of property access, etc. etc., they can be had for as little as $150/month.

And the technology has improved greatly in recent years. The better ones are well-vented and the chemical additives contain some neat stuff to control odors, bacteria, and vermin. How do I know this?? One of my industrial clients is a major developer and supplier of such systems.

I'm not saying that's the obvious choice in this OP's situation - there aren't enough details here to evaluate it. But it certainly would fit some scenarios that involve 3 months in an Interstate.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:14 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
$3000 for a toilet that sets itself on fire... I'm still not sure this isn't just an elaborate and well executed joke

The details read as a hilarious amalgamation of toilet and furnace specifications

An... Interesting... Alternative to the composting toilet, but I can see the upsides
Old 02-18-2019, 10:54 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Incinerating toilets are real.

They have been quite common in N. Carolina's Outer Banks... where there are no city utilities and the soil won't perk for a septic tank. Ones that I first saw in the 1980s had one big flaw which should jave been fixed by now.... you would ever allow anyone to use one without prior training. Flushing while still seated - YOWEE! (Tasteless humor: know what burns my a**? A flame about that high.
Well honey you'll never need another bikini wax.
I'll cancel your vasectomy surgery dear...

Do the new ones only ignite when the lid is closed?

Why install, put up a toilet tent and use it. The outhouse without a pit.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:08 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
We are getting ahead of the OP, but I'm responding to that wave rather than instigating it.

If someone is going to the trouble to put up a toilet tent, why not opt for a conventional exterior composting set-up?

Pit toilets, properly constructed, fall into the "You've come a lot way, baby" category. No sense getting into details until we hear the OP's further feedback, but I've been impressed by what I've seen. We encountered some heavy-use ones last year in the Cape Breton Highlands National Park that were remarkable. Not a whiff of any odor.

If not pit, then maybe blind tank. Not a septic tank but one that is pumped out by a contractor, similar to porta-pottie idea but without the rental fees.
Old 02-18-2019, 02:17 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bellingham , Washington
I worked for a company that built small diesel gen-sets to be used to power incinerator toilets on the North Slope during the '70s when the Alaska pipeline was being built. Used a single cylinder Lister air cooled diesel and a Lima generator.

So incinerator toilets have been around for a long time.
WillieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:30 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
St auguatine , Florida
Quote:
This thread presents a good opportunity to develop the kind of quantitative analysis that eludes so many threads.

First, a little detail. Can you tells us, without violating your own privacy:

(1) What state or province your property is in
(2) Which 3 months exactly
(3) How big your tract of land is
(4) How private your tract is
(5) Whether your property is accessed by public roads only, or combination of public and private
(6) How many people will need to use the toilet system(s) - EDIT - I now see family of four. What ages approximately? Older or younger children?
(7) How often you plan to make grocery and energy runs
(8) How far away the grocery and energy sources are (I assume you'll need propane?)
(9) How often you anticipate moving your Interstate for local trips (it wouldn't do well sitting continuously for 3 months without being moved at least a couple of times).
(10) You stated water and electricity sources - is the water potable?

That ought to be a start on scoping out the options.
NJ in the summer, one acre semi private on a public road that is traveled only by the few residents.. I am trying to avoid tearing down by renting a car. And the others using it would be camping guests including guests which is why I don’t want to “share” the current toilet—too many things could go wrong.
carpenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 02:21 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenc View Post
NJ in the summer, one acre semi private on a public road that is traveled only by the few residents.. I am trying to avoid tearing down by renting a car. And the others using it would be camping guests including guests which is why I don’t want to “share” the current toilet—too many things could go wrong.
Thanks for the details. Echoing earlier comments to rent a porta-potty, or have a toilet tent for the "campground" incinerator toilet. If needed, double the number of seats in the "rear theater" . . .

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:23 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Specific heat of water: 4.186 joule/gram °C

Does anyone know how much propane these fiery johns consume?

Propane-hauling can get old (and expensive). My off-grid neighbors have a full-sized house with a full-sized Dometic fridge. That thing eats propane like a gobble monster in a Ghostbusters movie. They are always schlepping tanks.

Part of the analysis involves the question -- how many other travel scenarios would demand that you have a fiery john instead of a regular toilet? Is this a one-time or a once-per-year deal that could be satisfied by a super-duper porta-pottie (public road access), or will you need it routinely going forward?
Old 02-19-2019, 06:31 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillieJ View Post
I worked for a company that built small diesel gen-sets to be used to power incinerator toilets on the North Slope during the '70s when the Alaska pipeline was being built. Used a single cylinder Lister air cooled diesel and a Lima generator.

So incinerator toilets have been around for a long time.
In this Alaskan scenario in the 1970s, there was little choice.

Fixed diesel gensets are, in many scenarios, functionally illegal in Texas unless they are being used for true emergencies (such as powering sewage lift stations and potable water distribution plants in the event of a loss of electricity).

Why? Because their production of pollution is fabulously high relative to their energy output. Obviously if sewage needs to keep flowing, then it is on balance in the public interest to emit those pollutants. But the cost-benefit analysis doesn't work in other scenarios.

Someone is going to jump on me and say, "Oh no, they are sold and used..." Yes, but in order to be used legally for a routine stationary purpose, they need air permits, and good luck with that. Thankfully, they've been supplanted by natural gas units.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:59 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Davis , Texas
Quote:
Does anyone know how much propane these fiery johns consume?
According to the Specs, Urine cycle = 0.07lbs., Waste cycle = 0.18lbs.

Pat
pdavitt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:01 AM   #28
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdavitt View Post
According to the Specs, Urine cycle = 0.07lbs., Waste cycle = 0.18lbs.

Pat
PAT - Is that for a different model/manufacturer? The ECOJOHN specs show the propane units use 0.14lb. (urine) / 0.35lb. (waste) per cycle. Either way, the AI propane tank (14.55 g / 61 lbs.) would empty out fairly quick with 4 people if some of the other propane appliances also get used

Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote