Old 08-20-2014, 09:30 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
Importance of having protection for electrical devices

Just having come back from almost a month long trip, covering around 6850 miles from Oklahoma to Nova Scotia and points between, and staying in a variety of national parks, state parks, provincial parks and private campgrounds, my Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C protected my Interstate (and me) twice. The first was a reversed wired 30 amp plug in one of Canada's National Parks, and the second was an open ground in a 30 amp plug in a private campground (one of the worst we stayed at-it was more a refugee camp). In both instances, the 20 amp was wired correctly so we just used that instead. On the open neutral site, a lady came up the next morning and wondered how I got the plug to work, because she had been given the site first and moved after telling the manager about the problem using the same protection device-who then promptly assigned it to me when I arrived (like I said, it was a really crummy campground).

On the way back, I stopped at Jackson Center for a couple of minor issues for them to fix.

Barring some other major issue, my days at Jackson Center are hopefully behind me. I think I know my Interstate better than they do, having replaced my old Tripplite with the Magnum unit with a new remote. I also got a good explanation and view of how everything comes apart inside. After spending a week plus one day there, I got to know them (and them me) pretty well. I have come to the conclusion that Airstream is probably not much better, and probably not any worse, than any of the RV manufacturer's. I wish I could say quality was as important as pushing product out the door, but that's not the case, probably with any of the manufacturer's, except maybe Prevost.

In any event, I highly recommend the EMS-PT30C. With a lifetime guarantee, it sure can't be beat. Don't leave home without it.

Old 08-20-2014, 10:06 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post
In both instances, the 20 amp was wired correctly so we just used that instead.
I carry a 50-to-30 adapter as well as a 15-to-30 adapter. If there is a 50-amp socket as well as a 30amp and there's a problem with the 30amp, I'll go up to the 50 instead. I've had to do that twice, where the 30amp socket was badly worn. So far I haven't been forced to use my 15-to-30 adapter at a campground.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
I also have a Progressive Industries EMS hard-wired. At one campground in Chicken, Alaska it protected me from very low voltage conditions. The campground was powered by a diesel generator that had been giving them trouble. I found several campgrounds in Alaska and northern Canada that only had 15v service so the adapter stayed on my power cord for several stops.

- - Mike
2013 AS Interstate on 2012 MB Sprinter
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:57 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Livingston , Texas
I also have the RMS hRd wired in. Lucky so far I did not experienced any problems but seeing the condition of the electrical connectors I wonder that there are not more problems.
I had the same impression of the service in Jackson Center and it is disappointing to see that with a nice looking product like the interstate. I only can hope they are better with the trailers.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 08-21-2014, 06:02 PM   #5
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post
my Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C protected my Interstate (and me) twice. The first was a reversed wired 30 amp plug in one of Canada's National Parks, and the second was an open ground in a 30 amp plug in
A $3 outlet tester would have done the same thing.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:12 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
An outlet tester would have shown there was a problem in both cases, doubtful you can buy one for $3 though. What an outlet tester would not have done is protect in the case of a power surge or an unsafe rise or fall in voltage.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:18 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Livingston , Texas
Yes that exact what I was thinking even if it was only $1 how good is it if you have to check every 5 minutes not much fun doing this all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 08-22-2014, 11:54 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Since an outlet checker just verifies that the wiring is correct, wouldn't be any need to check more than once. But that's all it does. No surge or lo/hi voltage protection.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote