Old 11-12-2014, 08:10 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Ideas for larger-scale meal transport in an Interstate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
My thought about freezing in glass, then removing and transferring to vacuum sealed bags for travel, included lining the glass pan with something, for ease of removal. The question is......what to line with?

Waxed paper will disintegrate some in freezing and any defrosting, perhaps leaving bits in your food to be discovered later,

Parchment paper? Press n Seal? Both of these hold up well in the freezer.

Freezing directly in glass and then removing to a bag would work, but would require a small bit of defrosting to get it to release.

May take some practice to get it right for you.

Maggie

I have had success with freezing in 8 x 8 inch Pyrex bake pans with lining the glass pan with lightweight clean dish cloth prior to lining with Glad/Saran wrap. Pour or assemble "cooled" food into Pyrex lined dish. Freeze 24 hrs. and then using the towel, lift the frozen food and now ready for sealing in vacuum bag or slip into gallon size ziplock freezer bag.

Note to Airstresmers: Measure your Dometic freezer for optimal storage capacity.
Alternatively, if you have a pan or glass casserole dish which is perfect storage size for your freezer, just put cooled food into ziploc freezer bag and arrange flat in container remove air and seal. Place in freezer and then remove when frozen and repeat with whatever you plan to take along frozen.

Containers add weight and use more space, however consider "perfect portions" to avoid leftovers. Storing leftovers in ziploc bags can be messy!

Old 12-28-2014, 02:15 PM   #30
Tom and Phyllis

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Tuscaloosa , Alabama
Receiver torque is a term I have not seen in this thread. Perhaps this can be valuable reading for some. My first discovery of how increasing the distance from rear axle with different length drawbars reduces hitch rating. So take a look. The "effective" weight of the platform that has been mentioned by some can be calculated by determining where center of mass is in relation to distance from receiver. An easy way to demonstrate this is to insert a four foot long 2 x 2 square tube into the receiver and place a 100 lb weight at various points along the 2 x 2 while observing the amount of drop. If you are a student of fulcrum points in leverage science it all makes sense.

Effect of a hitch extension on the maximum allowable tongue weight for standard receivers:
Note: Does not apply to Torklift Superhitch or Reese Titan. Offered for info only. Always refer to manufacturers recommendations and specifications.

LD Valley w/ 800 lb trunion bars
Honda eu3000is generator
Lucky Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 05:33 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
[QUOTE=
The idea of removing from Pyrex prior to travel is attractive because it means that the resulting void space in the cooler could be used for other things on the return trip.[/QUOTE]

I would try to work it like this: put a freezer bag into the empty Pyrex, pour in the contents, close the bag and freeze. I would think it would be easier to get the food out of the Pyrex and perhaps make a better vacuum seal. Also, you wouldn't have to partially thaw the food to get it out of the Pyrex.

Just a thought...
Old 02-14-2016, 05:50 PM   #32
Site Team

, Minnesota
If you plan to go the dry ice route, be sure you have good ventilation. It can be hazardous in enclosed spaces.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:04 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
If you plan to go the dry ice route, be sure you have good ventilation. It can be hazardous in enclosed spaces.
That's why I was so interested in a hitch carrier system around the time that I initiated this thread. To me, it kills two problem birds with one stone - it solves my space problem and it also eliminates any concerns about oxygen displacement in certain conditions.

There's a pic of a black EXT on Instagram in which long-term travel supplies (or big-group supplies) are piled up to the ceiling in the rear. And holding up that massive stack - a Yeti cooler just a little larger than mine. When I saw that, I had momentary EXT lust - oh, it would be soooo easy if I could just open the rear doors and place my Yeti there!

But then I remembered... I'm not prepared to sleep next to chunks of sublimating dry ice - that prospect just creeps me out. Mine is going outside on the hitch where ventilation is a non-issue.

Haven't gotten that hitch system yet, but it's moving up the priority list. Since the time of this initial thread, we've added a new fridge, a new propane tank, a butt-kicker of a solar system, a back-up and side camera system, and a bunch of other stuff. Hitch carrier is now closer to execution.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:27 AM   #34
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoors4me View Post
I would try to work it like this: put a freezer bag into the empty Pyrex, pour in the contents, close the bag and freeze. I would think it would be easier to get the food out of the Pyrex and perhaps make a better vacuum seal. Also, you wouldn't have to partially thaw the food to get it out of the Pyrex.

Just a thought...
I think that if you lined a baking dish with foil or parchment paper, the contents would come out easily once frozen.

Then put in a plastic bag or otherwise wrap for transport, return to the baking dish when ready to cook, and bake with the liner still in place. Easy clean-up.

My experience with freezing any food that is wet in plastic bags, is that they tend to develop holes or cracks, then leak as food thaws.

Bags made for such purposes, like seal-a-meal, don't do that.

Maggie
Old 02-15-2016, 10:57 AM   #35
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Haven't gotten that hitch system yet, but it's moving up the priority list. Since the time of this initial thread, we've added a new fridge, a new propane tank, a butt-kicker of a solar system, a back-up and side camera system, and a bunch of other stuff. Hitch carrier is now closer to execution.
Does your 2006 have an on-board generator? And if so, how often do you use it? If the answers are "Yes," and "Never" consider removing it. The weight you save can be used to relocate your single house battery from under the passenger seat, and add one or two or three more in parallel, by placing a battery tray where the generator used to be. That would give you admirable amp-hours to go along with your admirable solar panel wattage.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 12:31 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Does your 2006 have an on-board generator? And if so, how often do you use it? If the answers are "Yes," and "Never" consider removing it. The weight you save can be used to relocate your single house battery from under the passenger seat, and add one or two or three more in parallel, by placing a battery tray where the generator used to be. That would give you admirable amp-hours to go along with your admirable solar panel wattage.
Yes.

Rarely.

We very well might.

It's a step-wise process and it's also a temporal process: make a change, see how it works out, add another change, see how that works. Plus in 6 more months my child goes off to university, so my needs/wants may evolve significantly following that. Right now I hobble around making short trips because I am needed at home. A year from now I will still be working, but I might be living a different life.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:55 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Cross-posting... my apologies to anyone who may be reading this entry twice, but this is my original thread on the issue of how to safely and securely carry a Yeti cooler packed with dry ice, and so I wanted to finally close the loop on this topic.

We are almost finished with our custom solution which is shown below (we still have to put a non-slip coating on that big step and edge it in DOT C2 reflective tape). I could not be happier. My husband designed and executed this fabrication and the details are given in the blog post.

Smiling dog mirrors her owner's mood. We finally got 'er done.

CUSTOM HITCH CARRIER FOR THE AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160703_HITCH_FAB.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	401.6 KB
ID:	265923  
Old 07-04-2016, 09:49 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
Electric cooler

We have had an electric cooler with us for many years. It is great for all the extras you need, you do not have to worry about it as everything stays cool. It will also freeze if I need to keep everything frozen. This particular on plugs into a cigarette lighter type outlet. There are other options available.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:55 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
IB it looks fantastic and a good write up.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:29 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Sometimes I read things that make me say to myself, "Yup - that right there." That right there is the reason why I/we went to such obsessive trouble to get a project done. Such was the case last night when I read a post by well-known former full-time Airstreamers Bold and Adventurous, a post called We Bought A House.

It was written with refreshing candor by the husband, who admitted to having gained 45 pounds of excess weight during their 18 months on the road (!).

That right there is the reason why we built a customer hitch carrier - because that would be me, too, if I didn't take steps to avert such an outcome. I'm an organic gardener and a cooking enthusiast and I just couldn't produce a proper diet in the small space of an Interstate over a long or even an intermediate term - I admit this to myself, no denial. Perhaps if I were a woman of total leisure with no other responsibilities in life, such that I had the time to fiddle-fart around for much of my days with shopping (assuming I'm in an area where shopping is even possible, which is not true 80% of the time) and meal preparation tasks, I could do it in a small space. But not when I'm employed and my husband is employed and we are always pressed for time, yada yada. If someone were to add child-rearing into that mix (as Bold does), I have a hard time envisioning the healthy diet thing working out well. The efficient meal management infrastructure just isn't present in a very small space.

So now we have a hitch carrier and a dry ice cooler and I will continue to spend many days in advance of major trips preparing many pounds of frozen food that I can take with, preparing it all in my stick house, in response to this challenge. It's the workaround that works for us, and it's even more important now that I'm making plans to strike out for many weeks at a stretch.