Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-14-2016, 04:55 PM   #21
A man, a van & a can

2016 23' Flying Cloud
2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Delray Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadUSMC View Post
I'm soooo curious about how this turns out. It's so strange to me that Airstream didn't conceptualize a better approach to transporting 7 people, but only sleeping 2. SMH.

I'll let you know this weekend. I'm traveling with a buddy to pick up a new trailer and I'm trying the bed out for the first time (we just can't imagine sharing the king bed together after seeing Steve Martin and John Candy in Planes,Trains and Automobiles).
BocaDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 06:43 PM   #22
A man, a van & a can

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Delray Beach , Florida
Hi again! Just wanted to let everyone know that I will be at the Canopener 2017 weekend from 1/2 to 1/8. I'm in site 53 then 58 starting on the 6th. Hopefully I'll get a chance to meet some of you.
BocaDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:22 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Remember they are called interstates, which should imply their usage. Not meant for family sized camping, more for transporting several people on the main highways but only sleeping two. At least that was what I was told when I bought an interstate in 06.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:08 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Remember they are called interstates, which should imply their usage. Not meant for family sized camping, more for transporting several people on the main highways but only sleeping two. At least that was what I was told when I bought an interstate in 06.

That and remember Airstream calls them "Touring Coaches".

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:34 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
Winston-Salem , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by BocaDad View Post
I watched all the videos. Thank you. Very informative. Regarding your AI, I it based on the EXT version of the Sprinter chassis? Also, have you ever weighed your Svereign when fully loaded? How much did it weigh? Just curious.

On another note, I posted another thread regarding an experience
I just had reserving a site for our summer vacation. I was told that since I am towing an RV with an RV, I would have to reserve two adjacent sites. Could you please share your experience reserving sites when towing your sovereign with your AI. Please post your response in the new thread. Thanks.
BocaDad,
I had an experience at an NC state park (Bent Creek) last year. I, too, was looking for a trailer to tow an "extra bedroom" for me/gear(I got the short stick, wife and daughter cheated!). and saw another class B towing a Sylvan Go trailer. I was curious if he had any resistance.

I talked to the gentleman and he said he was told he could not have (2) wheeled campers on one site. He had to get another site (not available, park full). He was upset. His solution was to remove the wheels. Then it would be a "tent". Not sure how it ended. We were leaving that day.

Be careful and do your research. May work where you are. I did not want to chance it.
kurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:18 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BocaDad View Post
Hi again! Just wanted to let everyone know that I will be at the Canopener 2017 weekend from 1/2 to 1/8. I'm in site 53 then 58 starting on the 6th. Hopefully I'll get a chance to meet some of you.
Very interested to hear how everything worked out. I purchased the same model front "bed" that you did but haven't done a "fit test" yet.
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:48 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurl View Post
BocaDad,

I had an experience at an NC state park (Bent Creek) last year. I, too, was looking for a trailer to tow an "extra bedroom" for me/gear(I got the short stick, wife and daughter cheated!). and saw another class B towing a Sylvan Go trailer. I was curious if he had any resistance.

I talked to the gentleman and he said he was told he could not have (2) wheeled campers on one site. He had to get another site (not available, park full). He was upset. His solution was to remove the wheels. Then it would be a "tent". Not sure how it ended. We were leaving that day.

Be careful and do your research. May work where you are. I did not want to chance it.

Interesting - the Sylvan Go is literally a tent with wheels. 😎

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Old 01-25-2017, 05:38 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Just as a follow up, I did a "fit test" today of the inflatable mattress that BocaDad ordered and am sad to report that it isn't any better than the Twin size air mattress I already have. I had high hopes that the support chamber under one side would keep the mattress from tipping, but it's not tall enough to account for the high(ish) seats in the Interstate.

As a result, I think my solution of using a Twin size mattress and wedging it into the space between the dash and the front seat backs is what will work best for my needs (I need to keep the second row area clear for midnight "daddy I gotta go out and pee" runs with the dogs..... ).
Old 01-25-2017, 06:58 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1984 27' Sovereign
Central , Oklahoma
Couple by us tailgating have a small enclosed cargo trailer. Back has drop down ramp, side has a door. They have a full size double decker blow up beds kids sleep on inside. Even have a TV, lighting and fan vents inside. Use at night, deflate bed during the day and have bean bag chairs for daytime hang out to watch tv or play video games. This would also allow for cargo and bicycles while on the road.
Hiwheel Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:40 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiwheel Joe View Post
Couple by us tailgating have a small enclosed cargo trailer. Back has drop down ramp, side has a door. They have a full size double decker blow up beds kids sleep on inside. Even have a TV, lighting and fan vents inside. Use at night, deflate bed during the day and have bean bag chairs for daytime hang out to watch tv or play video games. This would also allow for cargo and bicycles while on the road.
Sounds like a neat setup. What do they pull this with, and where do the adults sleep if the kids are in the trailer?
Old 01-26-2017, 04:37 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1984 27' Sovereign
Central , Oklahoma
They just pull with a pickup. Adults sleep in a large motor home belonging to their parents that are there also.
Hiwheel Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 11:59 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiwheel Joe View Post
Two things.

First, I have a 7yr old child that sleeps across the front seats. I used a(2X3) plastic shelf (like the ones at the big box stores). The width is perfect and I cut the legs to length so it is level. I numbered all parts so it is quick to put together. I use it with a self inflating mattress. Remember to cover the emergency flashers so the button is not accidently hit in the middle of the night! I got a knock at 4am asking if everything was ok.

Second, I was looking for a small trailer for extra storage (kayaks, bikes and extra stuff) on long vacations. I stumbled upon a used "tailgate trailer" for sale in SC. I never heard of it before and for the price of a new one without any options, I could get all these goodies in a used one!

It has :
Satellite tv
We have not used satellite yet, just the camping cable connection. My daughter loves it because we do not have cable at home so it is a luxury while camping.

DVD player. It can connect with the internet for Netflix etc.

Bluetooth speakers
Its really nice to just flip the door and instantly connect music with my phone. Respectful to other campers of course.

120ac/12v dc system w/battery and inverter. I can use the battery, ac or the generator to power the trailer.

Refrigerator (kegerator). I tried the kegerator once. It works well. I just don't drink THAT much beer. Besides, the beer lines have to be cleaned each time and the beer is not less expensive by the keg suprisingly. I LOVE the extra refrigerator space for food. We have not had to bring a large cooler. You cant see the door on the other side for easy access.

Sink w/ 9 gal. tank. We wash our dishes here. It keeps the inside of the AI clean.

Extra propane tank. I attach the grill to this tank. I know I can use the propane from the rv but its nice when I want to take off and not have to unhook everything.

2" Hitch for bike rack. A grill was originally there. I added an extension so I could open the doors without hitting the bike rack. It has worked out very well. No worries about the bikes bouncing. I have not had a problem.

In addition it has LED lights inside and out and a power exhaust vent.

I set up an instant canopy and it has turned into a great gathering space. The only trouble I have had has been at a campground that would not let me set up an external shelter unless it was attached to the vehicle....and of course, it poured all weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170127_123100.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	455.9 KB
ID:	278816   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170127_122814.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	252.5 KB
ID:	278817  

Old 01-27-2017, 01:39 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
kurl - nice solution for child sleeping up front. I did something similar when we first traveled with my granddaughter a few years ago. Now she has grown to be taller than my wife so we have switched to a tent.

That is one neat tailgater trailer. That "water" tap looks like it could be tied to a keg of beer. ... and you wash dishes in that sink. Sure.

Here are a couple links if others are interested. Looks like a whole market segment I hadn't considered.

http://towabletailgates.com/tailgate...ior-tailgater/

http://www.tailgatetrailers.com/index.cfm

http://www.fanatictailgatetrailers.com/

http://www.tailgatingexpress.com/Tai...xpress_LLC.php
Old 01-28-2017, 08:05 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
Boxter1971, I know, I know, it looks like the only thing coming out of that "water tap" is liquid gold, but behind the sink (hidden by the tv) is actually a small faucet. If I remove the tap it leaves a big hole in the pressboard countertop that I would have to cover some how. It splashes. When I replaced the h20 pump, I should have used a variable speed pump.

I think I will keep it. I enjoy ACC football and it will come in handy using the trailer for its stated purpose. As soon as I remove it, I would probably regret it. GO DEAMON DEACONS!
Old 02-04-2017, 11:57 PM   #35
1 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Antioch , California
Regarding front seat bed. If you have the 4 captain chair model. I tried some of the suggestions on this thread. Using the airstream table as a bridge between the front seats and placing a 5/8 inch thick yoga mat over it, seems to work except for the fear that my daughter will kick the components around the steering wheel in her sleep.
Another option was to turn around the driver front seat to face the driver side back seat and bridge that. We had a collapsible dog house that fit the exact height in- between the two chairs and you adjust the distance between the chairs. Place the yoga mat over the setup and the dog sleeps under the bed in her doghouse and the daughter sleeps on her own bed/cot above the dot and the walkway or access to the front of the vehicle is not blocked. It seems like a good option
2452bayliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 02:26 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2452bayliner View Post
Another option was to turn around the driver front seat to face the driver side back seat and bridge that. We had a collapsible dog house that fit the exact height in- between the two chairs and you adjust the distance between the chairs. Place the yoga mat over the setup and the dog sleeps under the bed in her doghouse and the daughter sleeps on her own bed/cot above the dot and the walkway or access to the front of the vehicle is not blocked. It seems like a good option
That's the idea behind the folding mattress/bed that you can buy for RoadTreks, but will likely work with any 4-front-seat B-van. You just have to figure out a way to deal with the rear seat if it doesn't recline all the way.

The only problem I have with this setup is the folding mattress is quite large and would take up a lot of room when not in use......
Old 02-05-2017, 04:23 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Idea for front seat beds and help deciding on a trailer.

You can't use that Roadtrek bed in an AI. If you look closely at the picture you posted the seat behind the diver is reversed and folded flat to support bed. The seats in an AI will not do that. You could get a shorted bed in the location but it would only be enough for a small child.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:18 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
You can't use that Roadtrek bed in an AI. If you look closely at the picture you posted the seat behind the diver is reversed and folded flat to support bed. The seats in an AI will not do that. You could get a shorted bed in the location but it would only be enough for a small child.
Yep, I noted that in my original post.

I have seen 2 different beds. One requires the seat to recline as it does in the photo I posted above, the other just needs the seat to face the same direction as the driver's seat, which is towards the curb side of the van. The bed has 2 folding legs for stability. In both cases however, the beds are big and take up a bunch of space (I checked them out when I went and looked at a RoadTrek that happened to have 2 folding beds stuffed into the lounge area). You can see it in the following photo. You can buy just the left half if you only need one bed, or both halves for 2 beds which can lash together to make a queen(ish):

I still think the Hymer has a great setup, with a double-wide seat behind the driver's seat and a fold-down table. To make it into a bed, just spin the driver's seat around and push the table down like you would do in a class B dinette and use the double-seat seat back as the cushion that rests on the table top. Easy peasy.....as long as you only want to sleep 3.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:07 AM   #39
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Just FYI, here's a picture of the Hymer Aktiv which is the only model that's sold in the US, for now anyway. It looks like they've changed it a bit from the Euro Hymer's and they leave the seat back in place:

Since Hymer purchased RoadTrek, I've heard there is an all-electric option now for the Aktiv using the tech from the E-Trek. Airstream better up their game or they could find themselves losing ground to these guys in the US market. This is very likely why they are testing the water with their questionnaire re. how much people might be willing to pay for an all-electric Interstate......

FWIW, the reason this particular setup is so attractive to me is I only have 1 child, but 2 large dogs that need access to the side door for those midnight "Daddy I gotta go potty!!!" walks. This fits the bill perfectly, but then so does my solution of putting my daughter in her "nest" up front using the table top and air mattress combo.

No matter which way you go, the flexibility of B vans just can't be beat!