Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2012, 09:05 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
I3500 Slider Door Window Leak

Our 2011 slider door window started leaking during the last big rain we had. The leak started coming in above the door-lock pull knob and ran down the interior of the door and down the interior door panel. It puddled in the step-well. Reliable RV in Springfield, MO. is our closest dealer from Tulsa. I called John the service manager and told him the situation. He got us right in. The warranty is going to cover the insulation, window and seal and interior door panel. The parts are on order and we will redeliver the coach in a week or so for repairs. Another fellow I3500 owner in Muskogee is have a similar leak. There have been posts from other owners that are experiencing leaks on the other openable windows in their coaches also. It seems Airstream is aware of these window leak issues and is handling them on a custom-need basis. I would like to make one comment, I would have appreciated a 'heads-up' from Airstream for us to keep on the look-out for this leak potential rather than coming out to see a large amount of water running down the door panel. I am happy with the way the warranty is being handled to this point. I will post up how the actual repair goes as soon as the parts come in.
Road Jager
Old 04-07-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
So they will be replacing the entire window assembly AND the interior door panel? Why does the door panel need replacing?

Re. the origin of the leak; can you post a photo that shows where the leak appears?

Do post results of the repair process.
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:38 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
The size of the leak required the interior door panel to be replaced. Kind of a collateral damage issue. Also, I did not want any mold forming. The insulation also got wet enough to replace. Apparently, certain VIN's require just the seal, others require both seal and window. The leak was running down from the lower window frame, just above the interior lock-pull knob. I will post up when the fix is completed.
Road Jager
Old 04-08-2012, 11:13 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Appreciate the heads-up. I'll keep an eye on my own Interstate's openable window on the sliding side door for leaks. Given how much it rains in South Louisiana, it's definitely something to be concerned about.

I don't typically open that particular window, except just to verify that the seals aren't sticking. Considering that my Interstate was burglarized the day after I bought it, before I had a chance to install an alarm system, it seems foolish for me to leave open a window that provides easy access to a door lock knob just by punching out a flimsy screen. That means the window is tightly closed whenever I open and close the door, which puts less of a strain on the hardware. I still use all of the other openable windows to provide ventilation, just not that one.

On the plus side, if water was puddling in your step well, that means your door weatherstripping is still sealing tightly!
Old 04-09-2012, 05:43 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Hey Protagonist,
The leak was not at the frame to glass seal. It was at the window frame seal to window opening on the door.
Road Jager
Old 04-09-2012, 07:35 AM   #6

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadJager View Post
Hey Protagonist,
The leak was not at the frame to glass seal. It was at the window frame seal to window opening on the door.
Road Jager
Thanks for the clarification. I misunderstood.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Sorry about the late 'fix-post'. Reliable RV got the parts in and we drove up to Springfield,Mo. and in less than 2 hours it was repaired.....no BS, just good service. No waiting as they were anticipating our visit.
Now we are ready for our summer trip to the Grand Canyon and the Grand Circle. I am so ready to get GT, (Grand Tripster, our name for the I3500) out on the road again after a few small trips this spring.
Jager
Old 09-25-2012, 04:03 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
Vincennes , Indiana
I had a leak on the interior step after a rain last night. I thought it was from the door seal. I'll check further.
aa9zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:10 AM   #9

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa9zz View Post
I had a leak on the interior step after a rain last night. I thought it was from the door seal. I'll check further.
I noticed a slight leak there after Hurricane Isaac, too, but since it was a hurricane, I didn't expect things to remain bone dry. Lesser rainstorms haven't caused any leaks. I'm more concerned about the puddle of soapy water that appeared around the base of my refrigerator after taking my Interstate through the Blue Beacon truck wash. Where could that water have come in? My best guess is that water got sprayed into the furnace exhaust.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:42 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
Vincennes , Indiana
The reason I want to check now is that I have three months warranty left. I'd rather check now than wait till spring.
aa9zz is offline   Reply With Quote