Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-17-2017, 07:51 AM   #1
Rivet Master
 
Tincampers's Avatar
 
2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,566
Hydro Flame 8012 II removal

Iíve been working on the furnace trying to get it to light, but no luck so far. I ordered an updated logic board and still nothing. After taking it apart a bit, I discovered mud dauber nests in the combustion chamber and also blocking the fresh air intake. I pulled the igniter out and found the probes connected to each other with another nest. The wire connector broke off, so had to order another igniter. Rudimentary testing shows that the igniter will spark and I can smell propane when I do a sniff test outside the exhaust vent.

After all this, I am wondering if I should just remove this furnace and go with something else. These things are inefficient and use about 2amps when running.

Anyone ever try to get one of these out? Seems to be stuck in place.

John
__________________

Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
Tincampers's Avatar
 
2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,566
Finally got the heater going. After ordering a new logic board with no change, I started taking the furnace apart. Thatís when I found the mud dauberís nests inside the combustion chamber, the fresh air intake and on the igniter. Cleaned all that out but broke the wire connector off the igniter. Ordered a new one, put it all back together and just like magic, I have heat. The new digital thermostat is light years ahead of the original POC.

The biggest challenge here is doing all this work while standing on your head. Tools that are nice to have would be a circuit tester or multimeter, magnetic screwdriver and a 1/4Ē nut driver.
__________________

Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:56 PM   #3
Prof. of Pending Projects
 
wachuko's Avatar

 
2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 1,708
You are enjoying this. I can tell

Thank you for sharing the updates.
__________________
Safe travels!
Wachuko
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
Tincampers's Avatar
 
2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
You are enjoying this. I can tell

Thank you for sharing the updates.
Yes, itís good to get these things fixed properly. Now we can go somewhere!
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 07:18 AM   #5
Rivet Master
 
InterBlog's Avatar

 
2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 3,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincampers View Post
... The new digital thermostat is light years ahead of the original POC.....
Did that come with the replacement parts you ordered, or did you buy it separately?

We replaced our thermostat with a stick-and-brick grade Honeywell, for lack of better option at the time. It works better than the original, but (a) it is subject to the common subtropical problem of death-by-battery-leakage (to the extent that we are on our second one), and (b) it can only display up to 99 degrees which is occasionally inconvenient, such as when I'm testing heat countermeasures.

Here's a comparison pic of old and new. The new one is pegged at 99 because it was hotter than that when the pic was taken. The old one held beside it is all fouled up and displaying an erroneous reading because the battery leakage affected its circuitry.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:50 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member
 
sthrngary's Avatar
 
2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Birmingham , Alabama
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 159
There is a bigger lesson here. When I bought my first Trailer, the Aftersales person told me I should put on additional Mud-dobber screens on all intake items. I never thought of that and we have a Mud-dobber issue on the wall of my home in Florida. So I said YES. I am so glad you told use your story. This may be the ONLY thing I did right on my first RV years ago. Be well.
__________________
Gary and Tami T., The ďRV AdvocateĒ

Proud new owner of a 2018 Airstream Interstate Grand Tour Tommy Bahama
Previously owned a 2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 25 ft.
sthrngary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:16 AM   #7
Rivet Master
 
Tincampers's Avatar
 
2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Did that come with the replacement parts you ordered, or did you buy it separately?

We replaced our thermostat with a stick-and-brick grade Honeywell, for lack of better option at the time. It works better than the original, but (a) it is subject to the common subtropical problem of death-by-battery-leakage (to the extent that we are on our second one), and (b) it can only display up to 99 degrees which is occasionally inconvenient, such as when I'm testing heat countermeasures.

Here's a comparison pic of old and new. The new one is pegged at 99 because it was hotter than that when the pic was taken. The old one held beside it is all fouled up and displaying an erroneous reading because the battery leakage affected its circuitry.

I am following you! Bought that same one. 99 degrees is ok by me, I have no intentions of being anywhere that hot ever again...😐
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:18 AM   #8
Rivet Master
 
Tincampers's Avatar
 
2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthrngary View Post
There is a bigger lesson here. When I bought my first Trailer, the Aftersales person told me I should put on additional Mud-dobber screens on all intake items. I never thought of that and we have a Mud-dobber issue on the wall of my home in Florida. So I said YES. I am so glad you told use your story. This may be the ONLY thing I did right on my first RV years ago. Be well.
I had one on my trailer as well. I donít think you can get one for the Interstate. Way different setup. Exhaust and fresh air from the same piece outside which is bonded to the inside piece at the time of installation.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 12:01 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member
 
sthrngary's Avatar
 
2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Birmingham , Alabama
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 159
You may be right

They are easy in stalls using a spring. There has to be a third party vender out there. My 2018 was no problem but vents are different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincampers View Post
I had one on my trailer as well. I donít think you can get one for the Interstate. Way different setup. Exhaust and fresh air from the same piece outside which is bonded to the inside piece at the time of installation.
__________________
Gary and Tami T., The ďRV AdvocateĒ

Proud new owner of a 2018 Airstream Interstate Grand Tour Tommy Bahama
Previously owned a 2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 25 ft.
sthrngary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 12:50 PM   #10
Rivet Master
 
Tincampers's Avatar
 
2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthrngary View Post
They are easy in stalls using a spring. There has to be a third party vender out there. My 2018 was no problem but vents are different.
Does it install without removing the outside cover?
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:32 PM   #11
Contributing Member
 
Pahaska's Avatar
 
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 6,335
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincampers View Post
Does it install without removing the outside cover?
Yes. They come with a probe to push through the mesh and hook the spring(s) on the existing grid. I have them on the furnace and water heater.

Check Amazon. There are all sorts of shapes and there should be one that works for any size/shape vent.
__________________

__________________
John W. Irwin
2014.5 Touring Coach, "Sabre-Dog IV"
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'65 Caravel Hydro Flame valve control unit teeraniti 1965 Caravel 7 01-09-2016 09:59 AM
Hydro Flame Furnace Removal siox Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning 4 03-22-2015 09:09 PM
hydro flame won't flame 123f5 Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning 2 11-12-2010 10:05 PM
OK, Atwood Hydro Flame 8012 12K just got expensive ronstory Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning 0 07-13-2009 11:50 AM
Hydro Flame butchncandy General Motorhome Topics 1 01-12-2009 07:20 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.