Old 10-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Rochester , Michigan
Update...I had the sound checked out and it is the diesel turbo working. It's perfectly normal!

Interstate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:01 PM   #16
Baltimore , Maryland
Originally Posted by Interstate1 View Post
I just wanted to see if anyone else heard the same sound? Like I said, it is subtle sound and you have to listen for it... Once you hear it you can't help not hear it. I read online that sprinter vans do make a whistle sound do to the diesel turbo
I have the same noise on the same vehicle...I haven't gotten to~ fixing it yet....but here is what I recommend & I will do as can be either 2 things...#1 Rear Brakes....#2 Rear Differential....

For #1~ Get some brake/oil spray cleaner and hose down the rotor and pads....get all the dust out...I plan on taking the calipers out and thoroughly cleaning the rotors...on both sides.....My guess is's coming from the read brakes and NOT front....My van has only 45K miles and is a 2006 model....Not much mileage....My observation is that~ the dust got caked on the pads and is making solid contacts on the rotors...This causes whining noise from the upper part of the pads..where it usually collects....

Because the van is empty all of the time...the sound is 10x greater with the echo inside.....Drive it around to duplicate the noise..This may correct the problem..

For#2~ There are a lot of talk regarding differential issues.... I think it is NON-FOUND....the sound would be very harsh....For the sake~I will be replacing the fluid on my to isolate the sound...

It's hard NOT to get emotions involved when it comes to vehicles.....cuz of the cost....but to be rational...Think everything you can do first...which that is cheap....Diagnose it that way...If all fails, you and I hae a lot to talk about...

FYI~...I am NOT a professional but a person who loves to work on cars.
Been doing it since my teens and I am hitting 50s... cheers..fill me in on the results...thx

MiMo is offline   Reply With Quote