Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2015, 08:39 PM   #41
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
La Center , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynefel View Post
We just picked up our 2016 AS GT yesterday (Albany RV in NY) and drove it back to New Hampshire. We asked the dealer to ensure it was winterized, and indeed it does have a sticker that says it is winterized. However, we are novice enough RV'ers (just in 'pretirement ;-)' that I want to make sure it's ready for a NH winter. Note: It is going into modestly heated indoor storage with charging capacity.

Plus, does anyone have 'Master Checklist' for startup or shutdown coming out of or going into storage? I'm filling up a Microsoft OneNote Notebook with all the hints I'm getting here. A profound thanks for sharing your collective knowledge!

I'll be spending much of my free time trying to ingest all the information in the briefcase full of manuals!

Best,
-Robert

Welcome..
I have been doing pretty much the same thing (tracking all the relevant sites and articles I find with useful information) and would be willing to share with everyone. I like the idea of One Note too, I use it at work a lot
Old 11-19-2015, 08:54 PM   #42
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Euless , Texas
Well, just got my first and only started reading the library that came with it. In Texas and this weekend it will get to 30 degrees. I stay in it full time and very concerned about something is going to break.
I will keep it nice inside and the sticker on the door stated it has been winterized. Can some one tell me what to do? I will start reading again but, now I don't know what to do.

Shaking in Texas / 25 cloud 2015 5 months old
Beaerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:48 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaerman View Post
Well, just got my first and only started reading the library that came with it. In Texas and this weekend it will get to 30 degrees. I stay in it full time and very concerned about something is going to break.
I will keep it nice inside and the sticker on the door stated it has been winterized. Can some one tell me what to do? I will start reading again but, now I don't know what to do.

Shaking in Texas / 25 cloud 2015 5 months old
FWIW, you are in the Interstate section. Your profile suggests trailer.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 12:22 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
I went through the winterization for the first time this weekend and found the opearators manual helpful, but not well organized. So I made a cheat sheet after opimizing the steps for my purposes. Hope this is helpful for others.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Winterization Cheat Sheet.pdf (45.2 KB, 211 views)
Mcrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:23 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Good check sheet. I'm surprised that only two quarts were enuf to both prime the pump and fill the hose. It took me about two gallons.

What purpose does pouring antifreeze down the drains serve? There are no P-traps.

Maybe I missed it but did you either blow out the black tank flush line or introduce antifreeze in it?

Old 12-07-2015, 10:16 AM   #46
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
What purpose does pouring antifreeze down the drains serve? There are no P-traps.
The black tank and gray tank are never completely empty even after dumping, so pouring antifreeze down ONE drain and the toilet gets antifreeze into the waste tanks. But since the antifreeze is diluted by whatever was left over in the tank, it can be less effective. The final pre-winterization black and gray tank dump will be more effective if you elevate the passenger side of the van before and during dumping.

Fair warning, RV antifreeze mixed with some black tank treatments can form a thick, viscous goop (with a consistency similar to snot, ew!) that will not do your macerator pump any favors. Strongly advise flushing the black tank thoroughly to remove any trace of black tank treatment before adding antifreeze.
Old 12-14-2015, 04:58 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Here's another take on winterizing.

Old 10-17-2019, 11:08 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
The Winnebago Era winterizing video strongly suggests NOT replacing the plastic drain plug with a copper plug because if pressure builds and needs to blow, the plastic plug allows for this where a copper plug will not blow. This could pressurize your water heater system making it blow somewhere else, which may be inside the coach. It might not seem like a big deal now, but it is made out of plastic for safety reasons.

Thank you for the pictures as they are helpful!
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:23 AM   #49
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
In the thirty years I've been winterizing RVs, I've learned to abandon the "blow the lines out" step completely. It's a waste of time, and could still lead to the freezing and cracking of your toilet flush valve, water pump housing, and/or water pump strainer as it's difficult if not impossible to clear those of water by using compressed air.

Draining and bypassing the water heater, draining the tanks, and pumping the non-toxic pink antifreeze through ALL of the water lines, pump, and valves takes about ten minutes, completely clears the system of water that can freeze, and assures that your system is truly winterized. Further, it can be done "on the road" in about the same amount of time with no special equipment except the intake hose, when necessary.
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 02:27 PM   #50
MJAI

2019 ​Interstate Nineteen
north Prince George , Virginia
I have a 2020 interstate 19, I have question, after winterization , I should still be able to use the heat pump? As long as I do not use the plumbing system I should be able to use the shore power and use the heating system?
Am I correct? Apologize if it’s a little off topic but still in the winterization. This is our first motor home and don’t really want to mess it up.
MJAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 06:39 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Can someone explain in more detail the valve behind the toilet?

We blew out the lines and ran RV antifreeze through the lines, but didn't touch that valve. What/why/???? Uh...huh?
Old 10-27-2019, 07:32 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
The valve behind the toilet is a shut-off for the fresh water used to flush the toilet. I start my winterizing by opening the two sets of drain valves and draining the hot water heater tank and draining the fresh water tank. I then apply ~40 psi of air to the fresh water fill fitting and then open all faucets and the outside shower and hold down on the toilet flush valve. I do this one valve at a time to maximize the air flow through each line. Leave each valve open until only air comes out. Don't forget to do the faucets in both the hot and cold position. I cycle through each valve a couple of ties in case draining one line puts water back into another line. Also apply air to the black tank flush fitting near the macerator hose reel. I then end by opening the low point drain valves again removing the hot water tank plug again - in case the air pressure has forced some water back into the hot water heater and low point drains. After getting water out of everything best as I can with air pressure I then put RV antifreeze in the tanks, macerator, and fresh water pump. I am sure that the above 2 hour process each year is overkill but beats having to spend far greater than 2 hours fixing a leak due to freezing.

I also drilled a 3/4" hole in the hard plastic pipe that is after the black and grey tank valves and before the macerator. This allows me to drain about 2 gallons of water that is otherwise trapped in that section of plumbing. I use a 3/4" rubber sink drain plug held in by a large hose clamp around the pipe.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 08:30 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Titus, that is a good explanation and what I pieced together to do after reading most of the posts on winterizing. The manual version is not written well in my opinion. I questioned opening all the points for the water/air to go out basically at once as the manual seems to state, as it doesn't push the water and air to the points it needs to drain out of. As most of you have said, do one point after the other basically. That makes way more sense than the manual's explanation.

The only things I feel a bit unsure of is having gotten all the water beyond the lounge low points/water heater as I don't think I found the instructions to do one after the other as I was blowing it out. I think I followed the manual instructions to blow out the lines which wouldn't seem to push the water past the lounge low point drain valves in my estimation. I did use RV antifreeze though so I'm hoping that compensates for that possible oversight.

Did you have problems with the macerator freezing? When I was reading the manual instructions, I felt they were very light on protecting that system so I might do what you suggest and drill a hole in the line to make sure nothing is left to chance.
Ours will be stored inside a heated facility, but would like to use it yet on days below 32 degrees and if we happen to be lucky enough to head south for a trip yet this winter. Always better safe than sorry.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:57 AM   #54
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
Winterization Check List

FWIW, Got this from another contributor here on the forum.

Let the snow begin!!!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Winterization Cheat Sheet.pdf (45.2 KB, 42 views)
Old 10-28-2019, 07:07 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
To protect the macerator:

I pull the macerator hose all the way out and clamp it to the top of a stepladder. I then pour some RV antifreeze into the hose from the discharge end. I then turn the pump backwards with the screwdriver slot until I see pink liquid coming out the 3/4" hole that I drilled. I then put the rubber stopped back in the hole and secure it with the large hose clamp.

To protect the fresh water pump I put about 1 qt of pink stuff in the fresh water tank. I then disconnect the hose at the outlet of the pump and screw on a 18" section that I run into a bucket. I turn on the pump until I see pink stuff. This was I get antifreeze in the pump but nowhere else in the fresh water system. I leave my cheater hose in place over the winter. In the spring I drain the antifreeze out of the fresh water tank and put in fresh water. I then turn on the pump until I see clear water, remove the cheater line and reconnect the discharge line.

As stated above some of this is probably overkill but I can do it all in < 2 hours.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 02:36 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Very through explanation and I bet you wouldn’t have much chance of having any damage with your procedure. Thanks for sharing, I’ll be following your lead! A couple dollars worth of RV antifreeze and a couple hours are certainly better than hundreds of dollars of damage and the time it would take to fix it.

This very early snowfall puts an emphasis on being prepared....
Old 11-18-2021, 06:29 PM   #57

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Cohasset , Massachusetts
A few questions from a newbie

Hi All,
We bought our 2017 lounge in May and the family has loved traveling around Northern New England from our home base in MA. Its now time to get ready to button things up for the winter. I tried winterizing based on the manual but it wasn't a complete success. I drained the fresh water tank, turned the bypass valve on the water heater, drained the water heater. Question #1: Do I leave the plugs off the fresh water tank and water heater for the winter? I don't see a reason to put them back on.

I then opened the low point valves below the cupholder and under sink. I opened all the faucets including the outdoor shower with hose attached and connected air @60psi to city water. Nothing happened. Question #2: Should I try opening only one faucet at a time and close the low point valves?

I dumped the black and gray water tanks and added antifreeze and pumped again until pink discharge so I think I'm good there. I did not blow out black tank flush so I'll go back and do that. Question #3: Do I use 60psi for that too?

I am trying not to add antifreeze to the freshwater tank or water pump. Question #4: What is the best way to protect the water pump without using antifreeze?

Question #5: For the toilet valve. I can't seem to locate it. Anyone have a pic?
Do you close the valve after blowing out the toilet? I'm not sure I'm understanding what to do with that.

Question #6: I will have it connected to shore power with the main disconnect on to charge the batteries and will take it for a 30min drive every few weeks. Would it be Ok to leave the batteries in it?
NE Campervan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 06:59 PM   #58
New to RV world

2022 Interstate 24GT
Great Bend , Pennsylvania
2022 AI 24GT Winterizing attempt…left with a few questions

So, I’m now onto day 3 of attempting to winterize our new 2022 AI 24GT.

I followed the steps in the manual, which seem to be incomplete and are not especially helpful for those of us with zero experience with these things. My manual says to use no more than 30 psi to blow out, then says up to 50 psi is okay if water heater is bypassed. The video on Airstream’s web page is clearly a few years old and says to use 60 psi. So, which should I believe??

The manual also still neglects to tell you that you have to leave the outside hose attached. It actually tells you to remove it before the blow-out stage

I’ve attached a pdf of the winterizing instructions in the 2022 AI 24GT manual.

After reading through this thread, I’ve found a few more mistakes I’ve made that are not addressed adequately (or at all) in the manual and that I need to correct.
Mistakes I made:
-didn’t leave shower hose attached
-didn’t leave water heater drain valve open. It took me a few minutes to realize the “service panel” mentioned in the manual was on the actual water heater and not the service panel on the box that was built around the water heater (which also needs to be removed).
-left all of the drain valves and faucets open at the same time…
-disconnected the water line from the toilet (said to do so in manual), which led to a giant puddle of water in the wet bath.
-did pump antifreeze through macerator, but didn’t pull hose out all the way and didn’t open the gray valve.

I was planning on just blowing out the lines and adding RV antifreeze to the traps, black and gray tanks, & macerator, but I wasn’t confident I got all of the water out, so I was then going to fill the lines with RV antifreeze. At that point I realized I don’t have the right tools for this. I bought an RV antifreeze pump kit, but it connects to the city water connection and there is no way to connect it to the flojet pump which has weird quick connects. Airstream implies that adding antifreeze through the lines is “optional”, but I’ve seen many comments about getting antifreeze into the water pump and macerator. So, I’m a bit uncertain what do here.

FWIW, I second the poster who recommended the blow-out plug with the quick connect rather than the tire stem style (which is the one I bought unfortunately). I can see value in having both if you only have access to a stations air hose.

So a few embarrassing questions:

Do I need a separate adapter (mentioned in one of the posts on this thread) to connect to the input on the pump or can I just stick a piece of hose in the inlet hole on the pump (with no connector to make a seal) to use the pump to put antifreeze in the lines?

I went back out and reinstalled the outdoor hose and ran more air through but could feel no air coming out of the hose end. I’m not sure if have the valves and faucets in the right positions.

Give I have no water in my tanks, I can’t test it, so:
-which direction do I turn the outdoor faucet handles to open them: clockwise or counterclockwise?
-what should be the position of the valves located near the pump (under the fridge) see pick below. I can’t tell what these are going to but
Airstream refers to them as low point drain valves, unless there’s another set of valves hidden in this compartment.
Typically, having the handle parallel to the pipe is the open position. Is this true here? Are the valves in the pic open or closed?

And here’s a pic of the valves accessed by removing passenger side cup holder between ottoman and rear lounge. are these open or closed?

If I have an air output gage on the compressor, do I need another pressure gauge before the blowout plug?

Finally, do I need to (or should I) run antifreeze through the water heater (tankless). Manual says to drain it and that RV antifreeze can be added if desired, but no idea how to do that unless it’s just a matter of closing the bypass valve and running the pump.

Thanks in advance. I’m disappointed in the quality of the Airstream manual. It feels like a copy and paste with a few minor updates from previous years and I’m left wondering whether I can trust it or not.

The manual also recommends removing the house batteries, but doesn’t tell you how to do that. That’s for another day I guess…

Frustrated,
Kristin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8BDFBA22-EB44-4F77-A928-531A484022FE.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	378.4 KB
ID:	408577   Click image for larger version

Name:	6E8569BE-C50A-43CC-9D08-D637318C143B.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	252.5 KB
ID:	408582  

GeoExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 09:24 PM   #59
Amg
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
I was also confused about running antifreeze through the tankless water heater. Manual says optional. I called Airstream today and he said absolutely don’t run antifreeze through water heater. He said the procedure is to open drain of water heater by turning knob. Then turn bypass switch and close drain. Both drain knob and bypass switch are located in front of water heater which is under rear driver side seat. You have to remove cover first.
Amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 06:54 AM   #60
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wawina , Minnesota
Has anyone removed the lithium batteries on a Interstate 19? We live in northern Minnesota and battleborn told me to remove them if the temp gets to be -10F for any length of time. It can be -30F or colder. I can see the battery boxes from below the vehicle under the stairwell on the driver and passenger side. It’s a 2022. Thanks
jamm19 is offline   Reply With Quote