Old 11-16-2014, 07:57 PM   #29
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Yep. No short cuts. This will save me from putting 2-3 gallons in freshwater tank like I did three times last year. Still haven't gotten the taste out of lines.

Will still dump 1/2 - 1 gal in black tank (and use it to flush with while limited use of toilet on return trip.

Mike

Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:17 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
I ordered the Quad Port fitting last week...used a hand pump to get the city water connection and the black tank flush port. Will use the new fitting to get the rest of the system next time I winterize. Now that it has been worked out, with a lot of help from this forum, I will have no qualms about winter camping.
I'll keep the lines below the coach filled with antifreeze, between dumps, and purge the rest when time comes. Combination of that and tank heaters, while camping, should keep me in business.....I hope.

Old 11-14-2015, 05:26 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Southaven , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
The basics of winterizing should be covered in Section G of your Airstream Interstate Owner's Manual, under the heading "Storage and Winterizing."
In step 6, "apply at least 60psi of air pressure at the city water inlet" you'll need a blowout plug for that....you should reclose the low-point drains and leave both faucets open halfway between hot and cold so that you can blow out the whole system, and not just the part of the system between the city inlet and the low point drains.
This is my first time to winterize and I tried to follow the manual for the compressor but need to go back and follow step 6 that Protagonist has listed.
However, I have a question, I think I got confused and turned the heater valve to the bypass position should I not have done that for the compressor method?

Appreciate any insight.
Old 11-14-2015, 05:38 PM   #32
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalwyn View Post
This is my first time to winterize and I tried to follow the manual for the compressor but need to go back and follow step 6 that Protagonist has listed.
However, I have a question, I think I got confused and turned the heater valve to the bypass position should I not have done that for the compressor method?
You did just fine. With the valve in the bypass position compressed air doesn't pass through the water heater, but the water heater drains just fine by itself if you open both the drain plug and the pressure relief valve. There won't be enough water left in the heater to cause any damage.

And besides, the shape of the water heater means that even if you do try to blow it out, a small amount of water will still be trapped anyway. Six of one, half dozen of the other.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 05:06 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Salem , New Hampshire
We just picked up our 2016 AS GT yesterday (Albany RV in NY) and drove it back to New Hampshire. We asked the dealer to ensure it was winterized, and indeed it does have a sticker that says it is winterized. However, we are novice enough RV'ers (just in 'pretirement ;-)' that I want to make sure it's ready for a NH winter. Note: It is going into modestly heated indoor storage with charging capacity.

Plus, does anyone have 'Master Checklist' for startup or shutdown coming out of or going into storage? I'm filling up a Microsoft OneNote Notebook with all the hints I'm getting here. A profound thanks for sharing your collective knowledge!

I'll be spending much of my free time trying to ingest all the information in the briefcase full of manuals!

Best,
-Robert
Old 11-15-2015, 03:17 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Welcome to the Air Forums. This thread contains probably the closest thing to a checklist for winterizing as anything you'll find. You can also check your Airstream owner's manual for some information regarding winterizing.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 08:52 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Welcome! From neighbors over in Mont Vernon NH
Old 11-16-2015, 07:03 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalwyn View Post

Appreciate any insight.
Welcome to AirForums and Interstate ownership.

I have deep Mississippi roots, going back over 200 years.

A beautiful state.

Maggie
Old 11-16-2015, 06:07 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Sitting deep in the woods in deep East Texas, outside temp 75, inside the Interstate is 77, doors open, screens up, just hiked 5 miles, sweating like a dog and reading a winterizing thread.
:-)

Looking forward to seeing an instructional append for the T1N, or, maybe I will write one if hell ever decides to freeze over here. We never winterized last year, didn't even come close. One of the Gulf Coast's short list of benefits.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:35 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Yarnell , Arizona
Forgotten valve

Our 2013 AI Ext come from cold country and the previous owner forgot the valve on the back of the commode.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:58 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaqstuff View Post
Our 2013 AI Ext come from cold country and the previous owner forgot the valve on the back of the commode.

Yes - that one is a "got ya" item. It got me last winter so this year I'll be more diligent. I winterize about twice each season. Once now as the temps start to get below freezing here in Maryland. Then again after we return from our winter trip to Florida.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 04:43 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Southaven , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
In step 6, "apply at least 60psi of air pressure at the city water inlet" you'll need a blowout plug for that. I use a Camco 36153 brass blowout plug. But you should reclose the low-point drains and leave both faucets open halfway between hot and cold so that you can blow out the whole system, and not just the part of the system between the city inlet and the low point drains.
I want to thank Protagonist for this step. I had first followed all the steps in the manual and was concerned when I did not get any water out of the sink faucet, but that was what the steps said to do. I went back after I read Protagonist's steps and was amazed at the water that came out of the sink faucet.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:39 PM   #41
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
La Center , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynefel View Post
We just picked up our 2016 AS GT yesterday (Albany RV in NY) and drove it back to New Hampshire. We asked the dealer to ensure it was winterized, and indeed it does have a sticker that says it is winterized. However, we are novice enough RV'ers (just in 'pretirement ;-)' that I want to make sure it's ready for a NH winter. Note: It is going into modestly heated indoor storage with charging capacity.

Plus, does anyone have 'Master Checklist' for startup or shutdown coming out of or going into storage? I'm filling up a Microsoft OneNote Notebook with all the hints I'm getting here. A profound thanks for sharing your collective knowledge!

I'll be spending much of my free time trying to ingest all the information in the briefcase full of manuals!

Best,
-Robert

Welcome..
I have been doing pretty much the same thing (tracking all the relevant sites and articles I find with useful information) and would be willing to share with everyone. I like the idea of One Note too, I use it at work a lot
Old 11-19-2015, 09:54 PM   #42
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Euless , Texas
Well, just got my first and only started reading the library that came with it. In Texas and this weekend it will get to 30 degrees. I stay in it full time and very concerned about something is going to break.
I will keep it nice inside and the sticker on the door stated it has been winterized. Can some one tell me what to do? I will start reading again but, now I don't know what to do.

Shaking in Texas / 25 cloud 2015 5 months old