Old 05-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Rochester , New York
How to turn off Kenwood in Dash Display, hot water?

Hello, we just picked our used 2012 Interstate. Several questions the previous owner did not go over with us.

Display
I do not know how the kenwood gps/cd/dvd display gets turned off. Last night I shut off the engine removed the key and this am the display was still on. I am worried it will kill the batteries over time.

Water heater
How do I turn the water heater off? I opened the side panel on the exterior of it but I do not see a "off" switch?

Thanks for the help.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I seem to remember pushing and holding the source button until the display goes off.
You should have a switch to turn the water heater on and off, I remember it being in an odd location, like at the end of the counter.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Kaneohe , Hawaii
Our WH switch is in the rear passenger cabinet with gen start and other elerical items. The white thing on the top left. Should be one switch for gas and one for electricity.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
On my 2013 Interstate the Kenwood unit is powered off by pressing and holding the menu button on RH side under screen. Mine is wired such that the Sprinter key controls power to the Kenwood unit when the coach battery power is shut off by the disconnect switch. So when coach battery is switched off the radio works like most vehicles and is powered off and on by the key switch.

- - Mike
Old 05-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug454 View Post
I do not know how the kenwood gps/cd/dvd display gets turned off. Last night I shut off the engine removed the key and this am the display was still on. I am worried it will kill the batteries over time.
If I remember correctly from the Kenwood owner's manual— and I may not remember correctly, someone back me up on this, please— the Kenwood unit will go off by itself in about 30 minutes if you shut off the engine and remove the key. Like a sleep timer on a TV, except you can't set the duration.

Boxster1971, I think the 2013's have a different Kenwood than the DNX7160 that came with the 2012's, so yours may work differently.

Don't know exactly why it's set up that way. It may have something to do with the Kenwood remote control, so that if you use the remote control to select a radio station or a CD, or an iPod, it will continue to play, but if you don't use the remote control in that half-hour, it figures you're done and shuts off.

I make a point of manually turning mine off when I park, but that's more due to force of habit in all of my vehicles, to shut off everything before shutting off the engine. That stems from a situation in an old Dodge Caravan I used to own, when I left stuff on and relied upon the key to shut it all off. One day, when I went to start the engine, everything that was left on the night before— headlights, radio, AC— all died a painful death at the same time, but things that weren't left switched on the night before— such as wipers, electric windows, and fog lights— were fine. By the way, the engine did start even though all that other stuff was fried. So ever since, I shut off everything manually, just to be sure.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:29 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Rochester , New York
It worked

Thank you all. It turns Off by pressing and holding the SRC button at the bottom. Mine is a Kenwood DNX7160.