Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-10-2015, 04:25 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Rochester , Michigan
How to prevent flat spots on interstate tires?

Hello everyone, I have a question...does anyone have good advice on how to prevent flat spots on interstate tires when being stored over winter or long term storage? These flat spots can happen when vehicle is not moving. This will cause vibration when driving. I'm trying to prevent this problem with my interstate. Any good advice to prevent that in the future?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Interstate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Not to worry, they are only flat on the bottom. You can put it up on jacks stands if it us an issue.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:39 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstate1 View Post
Hello everyone, I have a question...does anyone have good advice on how to prevent flat spots on interstate tires when being stored over winter or long term storage? These flat spots can happen when vehicle is not moving. This will cause vibration when driving. I'm trying to prevent this problem with my interstate. Any good advice to prevent that in the future?

Flat spots generally aren't permanent; they work themselves out after you've driven for a while.

But if you're concerned about it, these just might be what you need…Flat-Free Tire Ramps, Set of 4 - Griot's Garage
But don't forget you'll need six, not four; they're not wide enough for duals so you'll have to put two side-by-side at each rear corner.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
But don't forget you'll need six, not originallyfour; they're not wide enough for duals so you'll have to put two side-by-side at each rear corner.

Perhaps you only need two since you'll feel most of the vibration on the front wheels!

UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I remember (quite a feat in itself) reading that when parked for extended periods, one should inflate to the max pressure listed on the sidewall. I'm guessing that would minimize flat spotting.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
How to prevent flat spots on interstate tires?

1inch styrofoam 12 inch x12 inch squares placed under the tires will prevent flat spots or plywood tiles.Concrete floors are tough on tires when the vehicle sits for a extended period.

Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 04:38 AM   #7
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
I am going to disagree that flat spots aren't permanent. If allowed to sit long enough, it will be very very difficult to work some flatspots out - for practical purposes, they are permanent.

How to prevent?

1) Get the load off the tire.

2) Rotate the tires from time to time - that is move the trailer forward or backwards a foot. You'll get a series of small flat spots, instead of one big one!

3) Over inflate. A static tire can take a lot more pressure than the max written on the sidewall. 10 psi more is not a big deal. No, do NOT operate your tire at that pressure. This is just for stationary usage.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:46 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have never had a problem with flat spots on our tires....on set #3, if I remember correctly.

Maggie
Old 06-11-2015, 05:19 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Flat spots used to be common with nylon reinforced tires. They always worked out after a short travel. I'm surprised that polyester takes a set. My guess is the tire pressure is too low in storage. I park my TV all winter and never have a problem. We keep the tire pressure max in rear and 35 in front.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
The OP never said they had flat spots on their tires. They were just asking for preventive information.
Has anyone with a late model Interstate experienced flat spots. I haven't - but then mine never sits in one spot for more than a week. 😀

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:19 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Mine sits in my driveway for months at a time (w/ tire covers) and never noticed any flat spotting and I was initially worried about it.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 04:14 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rochester , Michigan
Thank you, I really appreciate the feedback. I was just asking the question because the winters can to long in Michigan. Everything is good now just thinking ahead.

Interstate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:27 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Odenton , Maryland
How long do flat spots take to form? During the summer we move the Airstream monthly but during the winter it does not move from late Oct until mid April. It is not on concrete but a blacktop/gravel/parking lot like surface.

- WBCCI #3750;; CMU #166, 2nd Region
- 2015 Airstream Interstate Grand Tour EXT
- 2016Airstream 22FB Sport
Tadashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 05:06 AM   #14
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadashi View Post
How long do flat spots take to form? During the summer we move the Airstream monthly but during the winter it does not move from late Oct until mid April. It is not on concrete but a blacktop/gravel/parking lot like surface.
Flatspots form immediately, but the longer the vehicle sits, the slower the tire returns to its original shape.

Another factor is temperature. High heat helps them form, but also helps them return to normal shape. The worst situation is to put a hot vehicle away in the summer and not touch it until winter.

Then there is the issue of material. Nylon is most prone to flatspotting, but other tire fabrics do as well.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote