Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-18-2018, 09:04 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boulder , Colorado
How to fix the SWC/Ascot shade in the AI

I've had two instances where a shade in my Airstream Interstate broke and I was able to fix it. One was a rear shade, one was side. This is probably pretty basic stuff for most of the folks here but I thought I'd share it anyway.

The way the shade broke was that it would just flop at the bottom and would no longer stay up if you pulled it into a raised position. Something had broken. In fact, the string had broken off the plastic fitting at the bottom.

The pictures show the broken plastic fittings, both in the rear and on the side. One pic shows the old broken fitting next to a new one.

I emailed Specialty Window Coverings, a Division of Ascot Enterprises at "repair -at- ascotent dotcom" with pictures of what went wrong and they kindly mailed a few new plastic fittings. (Thank you Mindi at Ascot!)

The steps to repair are:
1. Unscrew the broken plastic fitting. (see pic)
2. Find the loose end of string coming out the bottom of the shade at the side.
3. Untie the knot at the end of the string (see pic) and hold onto the two ends (very important!).
4. Thread one string through each of the two holes in the new fitting. Tie them together in a knot.
5. Then screw the new plastic fitting, now with strings attached, back into the screw hole.

Voila! You should be back in business.

I'm an RV repair newbie, truth be told, and this was totally doable for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rear shade broken.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	320273   Click image for larger version

Name:	Side shade broken.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	413.9 KB
ID:	320274  

Click image for larger version

Name:	old vs new fixture.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	691.4 KB
ID:	320275   Click image for larger version

Name:	side shade string.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	320276  

valleyview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:55 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyview View Post
I've had two instances where a shade in my Airstream Interstate broke and I was able to fix it. One was a rear shade, one was side. This is probably pretty basic stuff for most of the folks here but I thought I'd share it anyway.

The way the shade broke was that it would just flop at the bottom and would no longer stay up if you pulled it into a raised position. Something had broken. In fact, the string had broken off the plastic fitting at the bottom.

The pictures show the broken plastic fittings, both in the rear and on the side. One pic shows the old broken fitting next to a new one.

I emailed Specialty Window Coverings, a Division of Ascot Enterprises at "repair -at- ascotent dotcom" with pictures of what went wrong and they kindly mailed a few new plastic fittings. (Thank you Mindi at Ascot!)

The steps to repair are:
1. Unscrew the broken plastic fitting. (see pic)
2. Find the loose end of string coming out the bottom of the shade at the side.
3. Untie the knot at the end of the string (see pic) and hold onto the two ends (very important!).
4. Thread one string through each of the two holes in the new fitting. Tie them together in a knot.
5. Then screw the new plastic fitting, now with strings attached, back into the screw hole.

Voila! You should be back in business.

I'm an RV repair newbie, truth be told, and this was totally doable for me.

The customer service email is: repair@ascotent.com
Old 08-20-2018, 02:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyview View Post
VALLEYVIEW - great info to have. I guess manual or power shade, no one is immune from shade issues. The only diff is from your procedures, it is much simpler process to fix manual shades.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 02:52 PM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I had to restring one of my blinds after my 13# cat climbed behind it and used it for a hammock. The cord broke

Best way is to buy a kit with the cord and some small parts. An internet search will locate the kits.

The kit I bought had good instructions. You need a fairly large table or some open floor for the restring. Keep track of the disassembly and it is easy to put in the new cord following the instructions. The whole process took about 30 minutes. I have enough cord left over for another blind.

Afterward, I found a video of the process, but I did not need it.

Instead of the plastic fittings shown in the original post, I use cheap sewing-machine bobbins from the dollar store. They work like a charm and will never break like the plastic ones do.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 03:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
I had to restring one of my blinds after my 13# cat climbed behind it and used it for a hammock. The cord broke

Instead of the plastic fittings shown in the original post, I use cheap sewing-machine bobbins from the dollar store.
JOHN - when I first read your post rather quickly, my brain interpreted 13 CATS instead of 13 LBS. Big diff.

The sewing machine bobbin is a genius repurpose of a much better material.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 03:39 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post

Best way is to buy a kit with the cord and some small parts. An internet search will locate the kits.

The kit I bought had good instructions. You need a fairly large table or some open floor for the restring. Keep track of the disassembly and it is easy to put in the new cord following the instructions. The whole process took about 30 minutes. I have enough cord left over for another blind.

Afterward, I found a video of the process, but I did not need it.

Instead of the plastic fittings shown in the original post, I use cheap sewing-machine bobbins from the dollar store. They work like a charm and will never break like the plastic ones do.

Thanks for sharing, great idea on the bobbins!