Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2014, 06:32 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
How much depreciation on an Interstate can one expect?

Trying to get a handle on a fair price for a used unit versus a new one. Will likely trade in my Safari, and its definitely taken a greater than 50% hit in 5 years (we bought new but a model year old). Seems Thor is overpricing the options like the safety package with its incremental jumps in MSRP, and I don't want to get burned again. I may wait a few years for the 14.5 model to come down. Anecdotal information is welcome, and please include age, mileage and condition when quoting your purchase (or sale) prices. Thanks!
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:56 PM   #2
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
The sticker price on new Interstates includes a 30% markup from invoice. You could try booking out some used units on Nadaguides.com/RVs. When using the Nada guide be sure to only add options that are not included in the base price of the unit or you will get an unrealistically high value. You might also try looking at asking prices on some of the used rv sites like rvtrader.com or sellyourrv.com. If you find recent sales for a model and year you are interested in you might try contacting the seller to see what the unit actually sold for. Good luck.
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
The 2014.5s had about a 7% increase from the previous model.

I will have to respectfully disagree with c21bill on markup though. I saw invoice and it is not 30% below MSRP.
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:29 PM   #4
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
No it's not 30% below MSRP Ron, it is marked up 30% from MSRP. (big difference) This figure is computed directly from an actual invoice on a 14 AI. To calculate invoice, subtract the delivery charge, divide the remainder by 1.3 then add the delivery charge back in. It is not exact because some options (color) are not marked up exactly 30% but it will be damn close. On a side note, the majority of rv's are marked up 40%.
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Well then I will have to respectfully agree

If you want to calculate from MSRP, invoice is around 22.8% lower.

We won't even get into holdback
Old 04-12-2014, 09:11 PM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
It's axiomatic that any motor vehicle is worth about 10% less than you paid for it, as soon as you drive it off the lot. That's actually more-or-less true, although the percentage may be different for an RV. What you paid includes dealer profit, and the value of the vehicle doesn't include dealer profit. So approximately that much is lost as soon as you drive it off the lot.

Depreciation for can be computed in several different ways. Probably the most accurate for an Airstream Interstate is this:
1 - Subtract dealer profit at year 0 to find what it's worth.
2 - The value each year after that is 90% of the previous year's value. So in the first year, 0.9×invoice. In the second year, 0.9×0.9×dealer invoice. And so on. The price never will drop all the way to zero no matter how old it is.
3 - As soon as it's old enough to be a classic, the value stops depreciating.
4 - As soon as it's old enough to be vintage, the value starts going back up.

Of course, supply and demand will enter into play; a vehicle that's very much in demand will high for more than its depreciated value simply because there's more competition for the few that are available for sale. Likewise, one that's common as dirt will sell for less than the depreciated value simply because there are so many on the market that any buyer can pick and choose.

The buyer has a lot of control in the used RV market and can walk away from a perceived bad deal. The buyer can buy any RV he wants; the seller can only sell the RV he has.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:48 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Thanks for the info guys. Just to be clear, I am looking mostly for anecdotal data from real world experiences. Just a bit of feedback. The NADA guides are great for dealers and others wanting to ballpark values, but fail to capture option bundles or real condition assessments. These factors can affect used values widely. That is why I like anecdotal data.

I am very familiar with depreciation calculation having a masters in statistics and economics, so to stay on topic all I really am asking for folks to contribute is their numbers to put together a sample. I could use the used inventory asking prices from sites like Colonial but as we all know they do not publish actual sale prices. Still, feel free to suggest alternatives to my methodology because I am always open to new ideas. Cheers!
Old 04-13-2014, 03:25 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Mine is a 2011 that was originally titled in Nov. 2010 and MSRP was $126,038 and the prior owner paid $110,199. I bought it in Aug 2011 w/ 4K miles for $90,000.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:43 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Thanks to all that responded. Shark, you got a great deal. I am most interested in reducing my risk should I have to unload a unit prematurely due to health or other reasons. I am comparison shopping brands to try to get a feel for resale values.

I should say I am partial to the RT CS-Adventurous, primarily because it is a Camping model (larger fridge, fewer seats etc.) some of the things I've commented about before in other threads.... additionally I like the MB head unit and the USB port and full functionality of the Steering Wheel controls. I am hoping to hear from a dealer with advance knowledge of the 2015 Airstreams so I can decide on whether to wait if there is a Camping model of the Interstate forthcoming.

I am traveling to NJ this weekend to visit family, so I may cruise by Colonial to see what they know. They have both RTs and ASI's as you all know. Just curious as to how they handle sales tax. Currently, NJ is 1% higher than FL

Thanks again.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:49 PM   #10
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
You would pay sales tax based on where you will register it. 1% is a pretty big hit on $1xx,xxx+

All the info will be out on the 2015 AI very very soon. My order is in and completion date is set for 5/5/2014.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:44 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Austin , Texas
I was looking and trying to decide to buy used or new. I was going to buy something at least newer than 2012. From over a year looking at prices and talking with people, I estimated that depreciation was roughly $1,000/month at least for the first few years. Eventually, it will steady and depreciation will slow. It's not linear in the long run. I know it's over simplified, but that was my rule of thumb when I was looking and it seems to hold out OK.
migriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:55 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Yes, I wish I could convince myself to buy used which I KNOW is the prudent thing to do, particularly when it is not hard to pick up a year or two old vehicle with relatively low miles. Been looking for a couple of years and waiting for certain enhancements to come along. The biggie for me was the side airbags, but now its the Blind Spot Assist. I have it in my car and once you get used to it, its a must have.

That said, I do believe the Sprinters depreciate percentage-wise slower than the trailers for whatever reason. One I suppose is it is a Vehicle and has multiple uses. I learned that trade-in on my Safari was not the way to go, and while I am confident I could get a fair price on the Air Forum Classified, its still worth more to me to keep it and do like I have all my vehicles, pass it down to my daughter and her family in California along with the tow vehicle. We will keep it registered in our names for the time being and will retain our membership in the various AS clubs including WBCCI. I really look forward to occasionally taking it out to some California rallies and up and down the West coast!

By now you may be guessing that we have settled on a Sprinter based RV, but alas, it will not be an Airstream. We close tomorrow on a RT CS-Adventurous with the updated chassis and a few other extras. Not going E-Trek as I don't want to carry all that weight. But I do appreciate all those of you who have contributed to my knowledge about the Sprinter vans, and I will continue to follow and contribute on the trailer forums. I am also going to be on the Sprinter Source forums as TomzSprinter, but we all know its no substitute for the Air Forums!

Thanks again!
Old 04-24-2014, 02:50 PM   #13
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Tom congrats on your Roadtrek, we will see you on the road.
Old 07-30-2020, 06:57 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
wavily Hall , Georgia
I am trying to estimate a fair value for a 2015 interstate. I really do not want to offer an insult price. They are asking $95,000 and it seems to me by the above calculations that is too much. It has the four captains chairs. I will see it this coming weekend. I don't really know much more about it. It has 45,000 miles on it.
St1853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:21 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I doubt if 2014 prices are applicable now.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:58 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
As you may be aware, it's currently a sellers market so prices may be higher because of supply and demand.

A question I'd ask is how many upgrades does this 15 have?

If you've been a follower of this forum, you probably already know that many stock components from Airstream should be replaced. Minimally IMO
it should be the solar controller, BIM, additional solar and 6V batteries for more amp hours! W/o these upgrades you'll have the additional expense & time to have those installed.

Mileage on a diesel shouldn't be an issue as long as it's been properly maintained (check service records). The tires with 45k on them will probably need replacing soon.(age + mileage combined)

For comparison, if we were to list our 2015 ext lounge now, I'd start at @$95k!

In saying that, we have made several upgrades to it;
300 W Renogy solar panels with MPPT controller
200 W portable solar suitcase
New Michelin tires
224 amp hour 6 V batteries
Upgraded BIM - blue sea ACR 7622
Tire pressure monitoring system
Cell phone signal booster
3M cabin window tinting
Insulated curtain between cab and living area
Insulated quilted rear window blackout shades
Teak bath mat
Awning sun shade 12’ x 6’
Propane gas grill
GZ 1400 lithium power station
Tire covers
Remote control maxxair fan
Slider door magnetic screen & Rear door bug screen

IMO, the 2015 is a good model to own. It has all of Mercedes safety features w/o the problematic Airstream power window shades and fusion entertainment system of newer models.

Happy Hunting!

Mark
Old 07-30-2020, 09:18 AM   #17
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomzstream View Post
Trying to get a handle on a fair price for a used unit versus a new one. Will likely trade in my Safari, and its definitely taken a greater than 50% hit in 5 years (we bought new but a model year old). Seems Thor is overpricing the options like the safety package with its incremental jumps in MSRP, and I don't want to get burned again. I may wait a few years for the 14.5 model to come down. Anecdotal information is welcome, and please include age, mileage and condition when quoting your purchase (or sale) prices. Thanks!
The best way to get a handle on depreciation generally, is to look at the new MSRP on units of the year you're interested in, and then the average asking price for the same unit today. But the average depreciation over five years seems to be between $50k and $80k from MSRP, or about 40%-50% in rough numbers. There are literally dozens of five-to-seven year old coaches out there for sale in the $80k neighborhood.

I suspect that at that price point it's a buyer's market.

Older than that, depreciation begins to slow... my '04 T1N with 116k is apparently worth at least $30k according to comps. It was $87k new in 2004.

And good luck with your new-to-you Roadtrek!
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 12:11 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Lakewood Ranch , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by St1853 View Post
I am trying to estimate a fair value for a 2015 interstate. I really do not want to offer an insult price. They are asking $95,000 and it seems to me by the above calculations that is too much. It has the four captains chairs. I will see it this coming weekend. I don't really know much more about it. It has 45,000 miles on it.

Well I just got a trade-in value on my 2019 lounge of $95,000.00 from an RV dealer which I totally declined. I know it's a sellers market but in a year that will change.
Brezzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 02:57 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Loma Mar , California
I think we all know the RV market generally is very hot right now.

Last fall we looked at trading-in our 2016 AI Ext with 15k miles. We were offered $84,000. We declined.

We just old it this past week to a local buyer for $118,000.

Haasman
Haasman is offline   Reply With Quote