Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-13-2014, 07:07 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
How Does The Turning Radius Compare?

The 170" wheelbase sprinter based Interstate seems to have a really good turning radius. How does it compare to, say a small class C on a Ford chassis?
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:36 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Turning radius is almost identical to a long-bed crew-cab Chevy Silverado pickup. Which makes sense, because the long-bed crew-cab pickup has almost the same wheelbase length, too.

If you specifically want comparisons to Class Cs, I can't really help you with that, except to note that even the smallest Class C has a longer rear overhang than even an extended Sprinter, and so will have a greater tail-swing even if the class C could turn tighter.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Thanks. I couldn't find the actual Turning radius by doing a search. Makes sense that the two would be close with the same wheelbase. I just wasn't sure if the actual steering dynamics allowed the front wheels to be turned more on one vs the other thus allowing for tighter turns.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:30 PM   #4

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_CA View Post
Thanks. I couldn't find the actual Turning radius by doing a search. Makes sense that the two would be close with the same wheelbase. I just wasn't sure if the actual steering dynamics allowed the front wheels to be turned more on one vs the other thus allowing for tighter turns.
Mercedes Benz uses a "turning circle" rather than a turning radius. The turning circle is 54.6 feet, so turning radius would be half that, or 27.3 feet. Which sounds like a lot until you consider that's for a vehicle that's either 22'9" long or 24'3" long depending on regular or extended. That's pretty much in proportion. My regular Sprinter's turn radius is 120% of its overall length. An extended Sprinter's turn radius is a mere 113% of its own length.

Sprinter Cargo Van 2500 High Roof 170" WB EXT Specifications

For comparison purposes, my Honda Fit is 13.5 feet long, and has a turning radius of 17.2 feet, so its turning radius is 127% of its overall length. Making both long-wheelbase Sprinters proportionally more agile than a subcompact car.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
That is definitely a good turning circle. Probably still wouldn't want to try a Uturn in an intersection though
Old 03-14-2014, 03:43 AM   #6

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_CA View Post
That is definitely a good turning circle. Probably still wouldn't want to try a Uturn in an intersection though
You can U-turn in a 4-lane intersection. I've done it in Gulfport on the way to Foley RV, where I bought mine. The highway is 3 lanes in each direction, plus a turn lane. U-turning from the turn lane, I use all three oncoming lanes to crank her around, but I can easily manage it every time without going onto the shoulder. I even manage it while towing; since the car has a tighter turning radius than the van, it is very well-behaved in turns as long as I don't try to turn too tight for the towbar's knuckles.

Traffic lanes are 10-12 feet wide depending on the volume of traffic the street was designed for, and how old the street is.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:01 PM   #7

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
I am famous for making U turns at or near intersections. So much so my wife has named them after me. There are several places I go where a U turn is the only practical way to get to a particular destination, like the Starbucks I didn't notice until after I had passed it. I can easily negotiate the U turn on the equivalent of 4 lanes (my AI in starting in one, the median a second, and two oncoming lanes) or even 3½ with a careful approach. The hardest part for me to learn was how far to go past the median for the rear wheels to clear the curb during the turn. A bigger challenge for me is getting in and out of a slot in the parking lot.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:33 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
I have 163 inch wheelbase F150 and turning circle is 54 feet.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:03 PM   #9
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Three point turn around on city two lane road is no problem

The big issue comes when you try to pull in/out of steep drive. The rail drags hard!
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote