Old 01-19-2018, 01:16 PM   #1
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Question How do you provide feedback to Airstream?

Having modified, replaced, added a few things to my new Airstream Interstate... I wanted future owners to not have to go through what I did. So I have been sending emails to Airstream via their Contact Us option in their website.

And I need to repeat it, thank you all for your suggestions. All the recommendations of things to improve (or gadgets to get) made our first trip a non-eventful trip when it came to what was needed to have a great stay. It was always a situation of "I need this because... Oh yeah, I got that here..." Down to the check list before departing... Being able to say, "yeah, that was easy" thanks to all the threads/posts I read before the trip. So thank you again!!

Back to the communication to Airstream

My recent email:

Quote:
Owner of a 2018 Airstream Interstate Lounge TB with delivery on Dec 16, 2017

First to vent: When we bought ours, we asked for 4x4 and Air Ride suspension. We were told that it was not possible. Now I see that you are providing both options and to top it off, you are also providing the E&P leveling system... argggghhhhhhh!!!! I wanted all those things.... okay, out of my system... moving on Maybe in a few years (when the new Sprinter comes out) we trade this in for one with everything we wanted.

Current problem: Magnetic switch on rear cabinet is acting up. Need a replacement magnetic switch to fix this. Light is not coming on unless I tap the heck out of the brown box.

Future suggestions:
  1. On the Tommy Bahama Lounge - just add the counter top extension. Just add it. I know you gave me the justification that because of the lights it was not included. I was glad you were able to sell me the counter top and I did the install... it works well with the lights, so just add it. There is no counter top space in the Lounge, that little bit of counter top is really needed.
  2. Add a light on the side where we have to do all the connections/hook ups (driver side). One just like what you have on the passenger side. LED patio light on the driver side that you turn on separately for when you have to deal with the hook ups or dumping in the middle of the night...
  3. Add a light at the top of the wood in the back doors area... when you have the trunk full of stuff, the side lights are useless in these situations. A light (similar to the patio light) at the top of the door jam (on the inside)... …on the wood panel above the screen...will light the area and the back perfectly even if the trunk is full.
  4. 12 volt power source in the trunk (inside back) for plugging an electric cooler. I added one in the wood panel that surrounds the water heater...
  5. Please change the BIM for a Blue Sea ACR and avoid the many issues owners are having with dead batteries.
  6. Please change solar controller for a Victron unit.
  7. Inverter should be a 2000 watts unit… some folks need their espresso machines to survive…would be nice to make my espresso without having to fire up the generator in the morning.
  8. Folding beds for the front seats (looking forward to seeing what you came up with)... I had to make a folding board to be able to sleep 4 (two teenagers) during our trip. Well, made one, making another one in a few weeks. For the first trip, three slept on the bed and one on the folding board with a memory foam pad (and these can be stored behind passenger seats when not in use).

I have a thread with all this and the modifications I have had to make to my 2018 Airstream Interstate to avoid some of the common complaints and issues other owners have gone through. Hope you have the time and take a quick look.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...173135-33.html

Very happy with our purchase. But those suggestions will make future owners be even more satisfied with your product.

Cheers!
Are there other methods for getting this information to them that is more effective? Or just keep sending them those messages?

WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 06:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Alumapalooza

We are signed up for Alumapalooza this year. It is camping in the field behind the Airstream factory with water and 3A of AC. This will be my 5th or 6th time there over the last dozen years. There is enough power to run the fridge, TV, and lights. It is a lot of fun and AC is not really needed that time of year.

What is now Alumapalooza, started out as the "Airstream Homecoming."
When Airstream decided it was taking too much of their employees time, it was farmed out to Rich Luhrs, the owner of Airstream Life magazine.

At the rally, Airstream has two meetings; one for the men and one for the women, asking for owner input. They get quite different viewpoints from the two sexes. They are seriously looking for input, whether it be gripes or product suggestions. Several times, they have followed me out to my trailer with cameras to document some of the changes I have made. We have had feedback from them on product changes they made as a result of these meetings.

The recent plant expansion has taken up a portion of the camping field and this year, the rally will be smaller. I'm afraid it may go away if any more real estate is taken.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 01:47 PM   #3
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Hi wachuko,

Congratulations on your new 2018 Interstate and we are sorry to learn about some of the issues you mentioned in your post.

Please feel free to contact our customer service and technical support team at*1 (877) 596-6111, option 2 if you need additional assistance.
AirstreamInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:04 PM   #4
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post
Hi wachuko,

Congratulations on your new 2018 Interstate and we are sorry to learn about some of the issues you mentioned in your post.

Please feel free to contact our customer service and technical support team at*1 (877) 596-6111, option 2 if you need additional assistance.

It was more of getting recommendations to your team for product improvements. I will continue to send those via email to the Contact Us option in your website.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:54 PM   #5
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Nothing else at this moment. I replied to Jeremy M. Allen's email with the Serial number for the AI and my address. Your team is sending me the magnetic switch to replace it.

It was more of getting recommendations to your team for product improvements. I will continue to send those via email to the Contact Us option in your website.
wachuko, that works as well. Information shared here and other places online are also shared regularly with Airstream's product development and engineering teams.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:30 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
The title of the thread is "How do you provide feedback to Airstream?"

I've generally perceived such communication to be limited to those with warranty-related claims, isn't it?

To say the same thing another way, if Airstream has a continuous improvement process where it takes and evaluates all suggestions from all comers, I haven't heard about it.

There are plenty of undesirable build practices that Airstream did with older Interstates that it is still doing today, about which we could communicate. But without a formal process in place, I think it would be falling on deaf ears.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:07 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Sautee , Georgia
My input for Airstream to consider would be more about construction flaws than suggested improvements. Both my 2014 and 2017 models had significant problems with the installation of the added fiberglass body parts which separated from the body leaving gaps between the body and the parts mounted around the wheel wells etc. Also, both units were delivered with broken plastic pieces on one or more of the seats where the seat belts exit. These type of flaws repeated in multiple units years apart makes it pretty clear that Airstream needs a serious effort to improve their quality control and delivery process.