Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-19-2016, 05:11 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Great Falls , Virginia
How do I get behind the fridge?

On my first trip this year...A drawer broke, cabinet hinge broke, the towel holder broke and Now my blood pressure meds have fallen behind the refrigerator... Not my lucky day. What is the best way to get behind the fridge?

AI Facebook Group

k9jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 06:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

I don't know about the Interstate

Most trailers have an exterior access door for the fridge
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 07:44 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9jackie View Post
On my first trip this year...A drawer broke, cabinet hinge broke, the towel holder broke and Now my blood pressure meds have fallen behind the refrigerator... Not my lucky day. What is the best way to get behind the fridge?
There's no exterior door behind the fridge. Dismounting the fridge just to reach behind it is a lot of work for a very small gain. And the process won't do your blood pressure any favors.

I'd recommend just writing off those pills as a lost cause and contacting your medical insurance provider to explain that you lost the pill bottle, get them to approve an early refill, and then contact your pharmacy.

Then, when you've done that, get a piece of wire screen material and use it to close off the area where the pill bottle fell so nothing else can fall back there ever again. Using wire screen for this will let you keep the opening for ventilation purposes.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:

Removing the refrigerator is possible but difficult.

On my last trip I had a spatula from the drawer under stove fall behind the refrigerator. I removed the lower drawer next to refrigerator, then used a mirror and flashlight to locate the item. Once located I then reached behind the refrigerator and pulled out the spatula and a second one that I didn't even realize fell behind the frig. 😎

It helps to have long arms and you have to lay on floor all chunked up to get back there.

New project - add something behind drawer above refrigerator to prevent things from falling into that dead space.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 02:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I know nothing about Interstates, but I totally agree with Protagonist. I would not pull the refridg on our 30' unless it was broken and needed to be replaced.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 07:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
IIRC, someone here (probably jerhofer or LB3) diagrammed how they put a backstop on the drawer to prevent items from falling behind the frig.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 08:33 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
IIRC, someone here (probably jerhofer or LB3) diagrammed how they put a backstop on the drawer to prevent items from falling behind the frig.
It was me. Here is the link.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...-92862-45.html

Also, pulling out the refrigerator is pretty easy. There are four plastic caps on the front of the refrigerator. Pry these off and you will find a screw behind each one. Remove the screws and pull the refrigerator out. This is how I was able to retrieve my level that had fallen back there. I tried removing the lower drawer but my arm needed to be about a foot longer to reach far enough behind the refer.
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:17 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhofer View Post
It was me. Here is the link.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...-92862-45.html

Also, pulling out the refrigerator is pretty easy. There are four plastic caps on the front of the refrigerator. Pry these off and you will find a screw behind each one. Remove the screws and pull the refrigerator out. This is how I was able to retrieve my level that had fallen back there. I tried removing the lower drawer but my arm needed to be about a foot longer to reach far enough behind the refer.

Thanks for posting the link - I remember seeing it before.

- - Mike
Old 03-20-2016, 12:18 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Great Falls , Virginia
Thanks! I ended up calling in my RX but it bothers me that my box of meds is back there loose

AI Facebook Group

k9jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 03:25 AM   #10
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Thanks! I ended up calling in my RX but it bothers me that my box of meds is back there loose
But now that you have your blood pressure medication refilled, you can go spelunking behind the fridge at your leisure instead of having to hurry. So much better for your blood pressure that way…
Old 03-20-2016, 05:12 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Salem , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhofer View Post
It was me. <snip>
Also, pulling out the refrigerator is pretty easy. There are four plastic caps on the front of the refrigerator...<snip>
Jerhofer:

Now this is a very useful bit of arcane knowledge, not found in the manual. How did you come across this? Trial & error? Thanks!

-Robert
Ynefel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 05:45 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynefel View Post
Jerhofer:

Now this is a very useful bit of arcane knowledge, not found in the manual. How did you come across this? Trial & error? Thanks!

-Robert
I read it somewhere on this forum.
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 04:59 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Monticello , Florida
Boater is correct

Pull out bottom draw buy a grabber at Walmart like you might use to reach stuff.
07007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 06:47 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
General comment, not sure if this would solve the OP's issue -

I sometimes snake a vacuum hose with a narrow end attachment into various nooks and crannies to retrieve items that have somehow, through some magical force, managed to make their way back there / into there. Suction power!! If the hole is large enough for the item to get back into the space, the hole might be large enough for the hose as well.

I retrieved two high-quality pairs of hiking sock liners this way yesterday. I didn't even know anything was back there, behind the water heater. But if a hole exists, chances are good that something has made its way into it.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:01 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
General comment, not sure if this would solve the OP's issue -

I sometimes snake a vacuum hose with a narrow end attachment into various nooks and crannies to retrieve items that have somehow, through some magical force, managed to make their way back there / into there. Suction power!! If the hole is large enough for the item to get back into the space, the hole might be large enough for the hose as well.

I retrieved two high-quality pairs of hiking sock liners this way yesterday. I didn't even know anything was back there, behind the water heater. But if a hole exists, chances are good that something has made its way into it.

Great idea - never thought about using a vacuum. Next time I'll try it.

- - Mike