Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-22-2015, 06:15 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Great Falls , Virginia
How can I set a truck route on the AI GPS

On my way through Connecticut this weekend, the GPS sent me nervously through a couple of parkways that had VERY low overpasses. I'm talking 8'8"!!! Luckily, I was able to get off the road and take a side street without overpasses but Id like to avoid this time suck in the future. Is there a way to set a "truck route" so I only go on roads without restrictions?

AI Facebook Group

k9jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 06:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Check out the Rand McNally RV GPS. Software designed for RVs and travel trailers. Including height restrictions. Always have to remember that GPS is only as accurate as the updates. I always keep track of my routes using a commercial paper atlas as back up.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:05 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9jackie View Post
On my way through Connecticut this weekend, the GPS sent me nervously through a couple of parkways that had VERY low overpasses. I'm talking 8'8"!!! Luckily, I was able to get off the road and take a side street without overpasses but Id like to avoid this time suck in the future. Is there a way to set a "truck route" so I only go on roads without restrictions?
There is no way to set a truck route on your built-in Kenwood/Garmin unit.

The way to avoid that predicament in the future is buy a separate GPS that does have that feature, as AWCHIEF suggested. I won't do that, because the map updates come from Magellan and I am boycotting Magellan for the rest of my life after a particularly bad experience with their customer service department. So what I do is this…

Since I have a smartphone and a tablet (both Android in my case), I got the Allstays Low Clearance app for the phone and tablet. I plot a route using Google Maps, cross-check with the Allstays low clearance app to see if that route offers any restrictions, and if it does, I simply click-and-drag the Google Maps route to a safer alternative.

Then I make a note of highway intersections along the route I chose, and when I program my route in the Kenwood/Garmin unit, I don't just enter the destination, I enter the key highway intersections as waypoints as well. That way the Garmin routes me exactly where I want to go, as opposed to where its program wants me to go.

I tried using Google Maps directly from my phone for trip routing during my last trip instead of programming the Kenwood/Garmin with half a dozen waypoints. It worked well enough, but I could barely hear the directions my phone gave me (can't put Google Maps on speakerphone, darn it!), which forced me to look down at the map every time I heard the phone mumbling at me, and that was kind of dangerous. My phone is a lot newer than the Kenwood/Garmin unit and the two don't pair via Bluetooth very well. I have a Bluetooth earpiece that I've never used with this phone that may pair up better, that I'll try on my next trip. If that works, then I'll give up using the Garmin and just use my phone for trip routing.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:17 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
melrose , Massachusetts
We use good sam's trip planner to map out our routes
It flags all restrictions including overpass heights and tunnel propane restrictions.
jennian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:40 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Hilliard , Ohio
All parkways in New York, MA, CT mostly New England are truck restricted. There are signs posted at entry ways warning low clearance . Be safe do not use any parkways in New England.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Rats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:45 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
The new 2016 commercial motor carriers atlas is out. One of the best features is the over head heights are clearly labeled.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/052...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:38 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Great Falls , Virginia
Thanks for the tips... I'm still kind of mad at airstream though. You'd think they'd equip our spaceships with the appropriate GPS systems for 150k!

AI Facebook Group

k9jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 12:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
How can I set a truck route on the AI GPS

I agree that the Garmin Nav in our Kenwood is not great. It's way too slow at recalculating an alternate route if you make a wrong turn in a large city like Chicago. As a backup I use the Copilot App on my iPhone. It recalculated very fast and has saved me more than once. Copilot does have an RV mode that takes height restrictions into account. However they are only set table to 12'-6" or 13'; that's plenty safe for our Interstates.

AWCHIEF - thanks for the tip on motor carrier atlas. I'm adding that to my paper backup strategy in place of the regular atlas I use now.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 12:13 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
My Rand McNally 7710RVND has tried to get me on NY parkways more than once. NY parkway overpasses can be LESS than 8'. My new Dynamax DX3 had Rand McNally 720 software pre-installed and, has tried to get me on NY parkways too. While there is NO "perfect" GPS software, in my opinion, Rand McNally is at the bottom of the pack.

I am having better luck with CoPilot software. It can be purchased for iOS, Android or Win OS computers (it's NOT available for Mac OS computers even though it runs great on iOS).
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 12:53 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Most Smartphone maps are reliant on having a data connection, as the maps are not stored locally in the phone. In areas with bad reception, you could be out of luck. Plus you are burning through your data plan.

I use the Garmin RV 760 which has a means to program in your RV information and it then routes accordingly. It also supports a wireless rear view camera, which I currently have peering out my back window.

The nice thing about the Garmin is that it works in conjunction with PC based software; BaseCamp. You can do all your planning and routing from the comfort of your computer (large screen, mouse, keyboard) and then transfer all waypoints and routes to the GPS. After your trip, you can also transfer your tracks from the GPS to BaseCamp to see where you have been and assist in future planning. I don't believe any Smartphone apps have this capability.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 01:13 PM   #11
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by greghoro View Post
Most Smartphone maps are reliant on having a data connection, as the maps are not stored locally in the phone. In areas with bad reception, you could be out of luck. Plus you are burning through your data plan.
In a five-hour trip using Google Maps from my smartphone for trip routing, my phone only used a tiny fraction of my 3GB monthly plan. If I was using the phone for trip routing every day, then I might be concerned, but for one trip a week or less, no worries.
Old 08-23-2015, 03:56 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:

I use the Garmin RV 760 which has a means to program in your RV information and it then routes accordingly. It also supports a wireless rear view camera, which I currently have peering out my back window.

The nice thing about the Garmin is that it works in conjunction with PC based software; BaseCamp. You can do all your planning and routing from the comfort of your computer (large screen, mouse, keyboard) and then transfer all waypoints and routes to the GPS. After your trip, you can also transfer your tracks from the GPS to BaseCamp to see where you have been and assist in future planning. I don't believe any Smartphone apps have this capability.

Greg

The Copilot App for smartphones does not require a data connection - that's why I bought it. For the current price of $10 you get maps of North America, which is about 2.5 GB on my iPhone. It worked great on my Alaska trip last summer and all the Canadian trips we've made over the past few years.

That Garmin RV 760 sounds great if it interfaces with PC software. I have been using Microsoft Streets &Trips for my planning. But Microsoft dropped this product so you can't get updated versions with good POI data.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:58 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Tega Cay , South Carolina
The good Sam's Rand mcNally GPS works great when it works. It too quit working (along with my refregerator, step, black tank pump) on this trip to the Michigan UP. It keeps saying battery not charged. We called Rand McNally and they told us to return it when we get home. Meanwhile I use my Ipad, phone and the sprinter GPS. Not much fun
gghayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:11 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Greg

I just returned from a trip to the UK, and using the free Waze app installed on my Verizon iPhone, I was able to navigate around with the iPhone in Airplane Mode so it wouldn't roam to any unwanted signals. It has a GPS chip.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote