Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-21-2018, 06:09 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
House battery suggestion w/o any mods

Hi y’all

Look to replace our

(2) Lifeline gpl-24t.

They are from our 2014 AI and original equipment. Just not holding charge anymore.

Wander if Lifeline warranties them?

No modifications just want to put the best and most reliable ones back in factory place.
Teamaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I don't know what the Lifeline warranty period is, but would guess that 3-4 years is beyond that period. My first batteries were toast thanks to ignorant dealership. During the demo the sales rep did not understand what the battery cut-off switch did and did not control, which should have been my first clue. I replaced the batteries soon after I got it home.

I have had the 'new' batteries for 4 years and they are still in 'new' condition. I seldom taken them below 25% discharge (75% SOC), and usually bring them back up to 100% during the next day. I pull them every winter when they are fully charged and store them in the basement. They are at 13.2 V after sitting for a day and they have dropped to about 12.9 V by the time I re-install them 5 months later. The first winter they sat in the basement I monitored the voltage often and was prepared to do a booster charge after a couple of months. It was not needed, and now I just leave them be.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:49 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Too bad you are not closer to MD, I have two Lifeline gpl-24t which are lightly used...it's a boring story about my mistake.
They are VERY resilient batteries and I may well recycle them into a solar project to teach me how to build small solar arrays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamaron View Post
Hi y’all

Look to replace our

(2) Lifeline gpl-24t.

They are from our 2014 AI and original equipment. Just not holding charge anymore.

No modifications just want to put the best and most reliable ones back in factory place.
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:38 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boca Raton , Florida
Should I just go back with the same lifelines?
Old 02-21-2018, 10:12 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
tarzana , California
Sorry to be so chatty today. But, we’re keaving for Sadona, AZ next week and need to make solar decision. Any information on Zamp portable solar would be helpful. Thank you for your wisdom.
frank nordyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 11:14 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Annandale , New Jersey
Frank,
Suggest you enter "Zamp" in the search box at the top of the page.
Fred L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 11:17 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
The Lifelines seem to get unanimous praise here so I would go with the same.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 11:35 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post
The Lifelines seem to get unanimous praise here so I would go with the same.

I have four 6V Lifelines in my upgraded system. I think Lifeline batteries are a good choice for the cost. They reportedly stand behind their warranty. But there are other choices. If you are a fan of "HandyBob", he thinks Crown makes the best batteries and reported in 2016 that their new Crown 1 AGM batteries would be the best on the market.
https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/2016-the-good-guys/

From my research the Rolls AGM are likely the best, are harder to find and expensive. Rolls is a Canadian company with a great reputation.
http://rollsbattery.com/about-us/

Their batteries are popular for large stationary solar installations.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:01 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
I was able to fit 2-6 V deep cycle batteries with 224 amp hours into my interstate lounge battery box. I will post a separate thread on how I did that here shortly!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4356.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	304668  
Old 02-21-2018, 12:10 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank nordyk View Post
Sorry to be so chatty today. But, we’re keaving for Sadona, AZ next week and need to make solar decision. Any information on Zamp portable solar would be helpful. Thank you for your wisdom.
I just bought a 200 W Zamp portable solar unit and wired it through my battery box vent.
It works great!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4354.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	246.0 KB
ID:	304671  
Old 02-21-2018, 01:15 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Hi y’all

Look to replace our

(2) Lifeline gpl-24t.

Check out what Mister B has done. For about the same money, if you can fit 2 6V 220Ahr deep cycle AGM batteries into your coach, you're better off. The 6V batteries are more robust due to their greater plate thickness (i.e. they can generally take more abuse), and at 220Ahr vs. a total of 160Ahr for 2 of the 12v model, you get 30% more capacity. It's a win any way you look at it. Not sure how much brand matters in this scenario, but certainly Lifeline has a great reputation, both in the RV and marine industries.
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:58 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Birmingham , Alabama
A little story I call, "better to inquire before I break something." I try to read all the post here for Sprinter/Interstates here on Airforums. The ones I like the best are folks like me that have an issue and folks with experience give feedback.

One of the topics I like the most is posted and re-posted every month or so. That topics is house batteries not lasting long enough. So here is what you all have taught me:

When the solar panel seem to not charge the battery, it is because to many items are using the batteries. So if boon-docking, or not hooked up to shore power, turn the house battery switch off.
Turn off the Ref/Freezer when not in use.
Test your batteries length of charge before boon docking. Study it so your lessons come during your initial education not when you are trying to enjoy yourself.
In my 2018 AI, you HAVE to turn the Fusion system OFF completely or it will play. Hold your finger on the power button until the sound goes off.
Per Airstream Tech support, I can use my home 30 amp shore power most of the time but no all of the time. So I turn off shore power once a week for a day or two.
The tank warmers suck battery power.
Turn on your water pump only when you need it.
Turn on your water heater just prior to needing to use it.
When boon docking, if you turn on, use it and turn it off.

I don't boon dock much but I sure knew how to destroy my 2017 Airstream Flying cloud batteries fast. So when I got my 2018 Interstate, lets just say, I asked a lot of questions. So far, so good.

Proud new owner of a 2018 Airstream Interstate Grand Tour Tommy Bahama
Previously owned a 2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 25 ft.
sthrngary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:31 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boca Raton , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister B View Post
I was able to fit 2-6 V deep cycle batteries with 224 amp hours into my interstate lounge battery box. I will post a separate thread on how I did that here shortly!

What size and type are the 6v?

If I can squeeze them in and not have to make any mods, sounds good
Old 02-21-2018, 02:44 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Quote:

Do you have the Lounge version or the Grand Tour?

Mister B is lucky in that his batteries are inside with the Lounge version. But if you have a Grand Tour like me... well, you're lucky for one reason: the batteries are underneath so more trunk space. But you're unlucky for two reasons: 1) the Lifeline 4CT 6V batts won't fit the GT holders and you have to cut and enlarge them... and 2) your refer/freezer combo suck a lot more juice in the GT and even 220Ah or 224Ah (110Ah usable) will barely be enough for one long overnight and you'll still want to execute most of those power saving moves you described.
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:50 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boca Raton , Florida
Lounge version
The slide in under right rear bench
Old 02-21-2018, 03:23 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boca Raton , Florida
When they are 6v how do you run them?
Old 02-21-2018, 03:39 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
Quote:

I was able to fit 2 Fullriver DC224-6, group GC2 batteries into my '15' ext lounge battery box.

The length of the 6 v is about the same as the original 12v but the width and height is a bit more.

To accommodate for the differences and make the 6 V batteries fit, the tray and strap was discarded as well as an extra set of jumper cables that was on the 12v.

To prevent the top terminals from contacting the metal battery box and shorting out, a piece of wood was glued to the inside of the top.

With this upgrade, we now have 224 amp hours on board and can easily make it overnight without discharging the batteries below 12.8v!

And that's with the refrigerator running, using some lighting and the furnace last night!
Old 02-21-2018, 05:10 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
House battery suggestion w/o any mods

While on a trip to Oregon a couple of years ago I had Lew Farber replace the old 12V 24Ts with 2 6V 6CTs; that’s a total of 300 Amps. To do this he removed the old battery box with sliding tray, and used some angle aluminium screwed to the floor to anchor the batteries. Vent is not required and was blanked off from the inside.
He also installed a true battery cutoff switch on the inside of the lower sofa panel.
I’m very happy with the result and even with my meager 50amp solar panel, I’ve never seen the battery level go below 65%, and that’s with dry camping for 3-4 days in the sun.
Regardless of the batteries you choose, it’s absolutely necessary to baby the batteries. My old 12V Lifelines we’re effectively killed by the dealer when they kept my RV for a couple of weeks while waiting for a new microwave. They cannot do that now thanks to the cutoff switch.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:43 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
When they are 6v how do you run them?
You wire the 2 6v batteries in series to get 12v.

FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:34 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Also should be same date code and manufacturer so the two batteries match as close as possible.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote