Old 12-12-2016, 11:48 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Lake Oswego , Oregon
house battery seem dead/ shore power dead

Drove to a golf outing, parked for 3 days (I thought, everything was shut off)
Get ready to return, no lights in interstate, and no kenwood radio, house batteries seem dead. (The Sprinter, has been rock solid, airstream, not so much) Get home, hook up shore power... no difference, everthing seems dead. except for the • No Comm - Remote is not receiving any information from the inverter. that is lit up. I disconnected, the inverter remote switch and reconnected it, per instructions, with no change. reads....NO Comm.
I have an 2016 extended lounge. Any Ideas?? anyone know where the actual "inverter" is located on this version? The Magnum booklet say that I should reset the inverter. no sure where that is.

any help is appreciated. seems like it's something, every time out.

joe rv guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
IIRC, it's under the street side rear side facing seat. could be wrong tho.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe rv guy View Post
Drove to a golf outing, parked for 3 days (I thought, everything was shut off)
Get ready to return, no lights in interstate, and no kenwood radio, house batteries seem dead. (The Sprinter, has been rock solid, airstream, not so much) Get home, hook up shore power... no difference, everthing seems dead. except for the • No Comm - Remote is not receiving any information from the inverter. that is lit up. I disconnected, the inverter remote switch and reconnected it, per instructions, with no change. reads....NO Comm.
I have an 2016 extended lounge. Any Ideas?? anyone know where the actual "inverter" is located on this version? The Magnum booklet say that I should reset the inverter. no sure where that is.

any help is appreciated. seems like it's something, every time out.
Inverter/Charger is under the read lounge seat. Easiest way to get to it is by removing the four screws that hold the back panel of the compartment under the lounge seat, also need to remove two screws that hold top to back panel. Get to them via rear doors, remove the black fuzzy covering and you should see the rear panel. The inverter is bolted to this back panel, but you can just drop it down with inverter attached as there is enough wire to allow access to the inverter.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 03:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Inverter/Charger is under the read lounge seat. Easiest way to get to it is by removing the four screws that hold the back panel of the compartment under the lounge seat, also need to remove two screws that hold top to back panel. Get to them via rear doors, remove the black fuzzy covering and you should see the rear panel. The inverter is bolted to this back panel, but you can just drop it down with inverter attached as there is enough wire to allow access to the inverter.
I may be mistaken, but I think the latest Lounge model may now have the same configuration as the Grand Tour, i.e. the Magnum under the driver's side jump seat. In which case it could be a lot easier to access.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
I may be mistaken, but I think the latest Lounge model may now have the same configuration as the Grand Tour, i.e. the Magnum under the driver's side jump seat. In which case it could be a lot easier to access.
That was my recollection too.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
My Bad, you and 73shark are correct. I've attached clip from the 110-Volt Location Route diagram in 2016 owners manual (page 9-31) showing location of inverter (INV1).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	276626  
Old 12-12-2016, 11:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
If I remember correctly from my walkthrough, the reset button is on the top of the Magnum and can be accessed through the mesh on the top of the metal box that it sits in. Just lift the driver-side rear seat and use something like a screwdriver to press the button until the status LED starts to blink, then let go. It's a 30 second process and should restore COMs. If it doesn't, yours may be suffering from a faulty cable that others on this site have reported.
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:37 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Lake Oswego , Oregon
house-battery-seem-dead-shore-power-dead

thank you all for your help in locating the inverter. wonder how one gains access.??

here's what airstream asked me to do......It sounds like the relay for the battery disconnect is unable to get enough power to kick over and is therefore not allowing a charge to go through to the house batteries when plugged into shore power. Try running the engine for about 25 minutes and see if the fault NO COMM goes away. If it does, plug the unit back into shore power with the engine still running, and set the battery disconnect to the use position. Let it run for another 5 minutes or so and then shut the engine off. If that doesn’t do the trick, then we’ll need to take a look at the vehicle as the relay solenoid may have failed.

I'll be trying this, and let you know how it goes.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:46 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
This very same thing happens to me with my 2009 classic TT. After looking at disconnect relay (what a mess getting to it) I decided to charge the batter with a aux battery charger. After about an hour charging at 20 amps I tried the disconnect switch. All was back to normal. I would have thought that you would be able to charge the batteries through the shore power, but with the batteries disconnected the internal battery charger is also disabled. Now I know why I carry this 1952 batter charger weighing around 15 pounds around with me in my emergency pack. It's old, but like me, still work better than the younger ones. Once you get the batteries over 9 VDC you should be okay to reconnect the batteries with the switch and finish charging with the shore power. I think I am going to add a couple of 10 ga lead off the battery so I can charge the battery without removing the battery from its housing.

Hope this helps. Happy streaming....
gr.austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 04:57 PM   #10

2011 Interstate Coach
San Jose , California
We have a 2016 Interstate Grand Tour Extended and a similar thing happened to us when we were on the road. Turns out it was a bad inverter solenoid. Replaced it and we were back on the road the same day.
pleight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 05:53 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Lake Oswego , Oregon
house-battery-seem-dead-shore-power-dead

I've got an appointment set with Airstream and they seem to think it's the solenoid as well. I'm not going in, until Friday as our weather here stinks for the next couple days.

I'll keep you posted, and thank for all the input, appreciate it!
Old 12-14-2016, 07:37 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bozeman , Montana
Had the same problem with 2016 Grand Tour Ext. Ran the engine about 20 minutes and Comm was re-established, did not need to reset the inverter. Might be worth a try.
ArcherTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 02:57 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Lake Oswego , Oregon
house-battery-seem-dead-shore-power-dead-

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr.austin View Post
This very same thing happens to me with my 2009 classic TT. After looking at disconnect relay (what a mess getting to it) I decided to charge the batter with a aux battery charger. After about an hour charging at 20 amps I tried the disconnect switch. All was back to normal. I would have thought that you would be able to charge the batteries through the shore power, but with the batteries disconnected the internal battery charger is also disabled. Now I know why I carry this 1952 batter charger weighing around 15 pounds around with me in my emergency pack. It's old, but like me, still work better than the younger ones. Once you get the batteries over 9 VDC you should be okay to reconnect the batteries with the switch and finish charging with the shore power. I think I am going to add a couple of 10 ga lead off the battery so I can charge the battery without removing the battery from its housing.

Hope this helps. Happy streaming....
I hooked up a Battery Charger to the house batteries and wow it must have triggered that disconnect relay solenoid, and it's charging and getting back to normal. Should I still have that disconnect relay replaced?
Old 12-14-2016, 03:13 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe rv guy View Post
I hooked up a Battery Charger to the house batteries and wow it must have triggered that disconnect relay solenoid, and it's charging and getting back to normal. Should I still have that disconnect relay replaced?
That solenoid creates nothing but grief with no value. I would ask them to bypass it or look for a thread here on SB160 and do it yourself.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 08:47 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post
That solenoid creates nothing but grief with no value. I would ask them to bypass it or look for a thread here on SB160 and do it yourself.
Correction - search for SB164, not SB 160, to find info on this solenoid. Here is link to first main thread that discussed it.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...aw-144101.html
Old 12-15-2016, 07:42 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Vienna , Virginia
Here is another thread on the topic. I followed Lewster's advice and bypassed the solenoid. I've had no problems since.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...mm-145217.html

Dennis

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
bigfishdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 01:52 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfishdog View Post
Here is another thread on the topic. I followed Lewster's advice and bypassed the solenoid. I've had no problems since.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...mm-145217.html

Dennis

Just just to recap for myself and others, if you bypass this solenoid, you end up with the Magnum drawing 0.5A per hour just sitting there, even with nothing on (Main Disconnect is OFF, i.e. red LED off, no power to house), correct? So people like myself who maintain their coach via the stock 100W solar panel would need to recover an additional 12A per 24hrs, correct? If so, this wouldn't work, at least for me. The 100W solar panel just barely keeps my batteries healthy as is. An additional 0.5A per hour draw would kill my batteries, slowly but surely......

@Amirm, I presume you installed a manual disconnect for your inverter in your new Lithium build, or don't you care given your 400W solar setup? Or maybe your new inverter doesn't have this parasitic draw when "off" so it's moot? Just trying to figure out what my future looks like.....
Old 12-15-2016, 04:14 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Vienna , Virginia
The problem I was solving was the NO COMM caused by the poor quality solenoid that AS used for the service bulletin. The 0.5A draw hadn't been a problem for me but I can see that it could be for others. I think one of the threads recommended a better quality solenoid.

Dennis

bigfishdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:32 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfishdog View Post
The problem I was solving was the NO COMM caused by the poor quality solenoid that AS used for the service bulletin. The 0.5A draw hadn't been a problem for me but I can see that it could be for others. I think one of the threads recommended a better quality solenoid.

Dennis

If you're plugged into shore power, you're right, the 0.5A draw makes no difference, so you should be fine if you decide to bypass it and eliminate that worry.

As for a replacement for the solenoid, something with a 200A capacity seems to be the popular choice so far, so I'll probably look into that at some point just for peace of mind. Since I currently maintain my rig via solar, I really don't need to address it any time soon.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:42 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
@Amirm, I presume you installed a manual disconnect for your inverter in your new Lithium build, or don't you care given your 400W solar setup? Or maybe your new inverter doesn't have this parasitic draw when "off" so it's moot? Just trying to figure out what my future looks like.....
I only have a 100 watt solar and it doesn't do much this time of year in pacific northwest.

But yes, I redesigned the system so that the current motorized disconnect is a true master disconnect. It shuts off everything including the inverter power.

I leave it plugged in all the time though so it is not a concern in my situation.

amirm is offline   Reply With Quote