Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-29-2015, 03:21 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
House battery access

Has anyone accessed or removed the house batteries on an Interstate Grand Tour? I have been told by AS Support that they are located on the Port (roadside) side of the vehicle just forward of the rear wheels. I am having new batteries installed next week by a local auto shop (the existing ones are sulfated). If there is any "local knowledge" with respect to this job I would appreciate hearing about it. Thanks
Old 08-29-2015, 04:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Aren't they covered by the warranty?

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:57 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

House battery access

Interesting question. I called Lifeline to ask about my charging problems. The rep with whom I spoke immediately diagnosed my problem as defective (sulfated) batteries, and told me that he would contact AS and get back to me. He called back to advise me that AS would not cover the battery replacement but that Lifeline would. Thank you Lifeline!
Old 08-30-2015, 02:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
WRT your original question, Protag described in a thread how to remove the bottom of the lounge to access the batteries. But then didn't AS move them to where both are on the floor in back?

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 03:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
WRT your original question, Protag described in a thread how to remove the bottom of the lounge to access the batteries. But then didn't AS move them to where both are on the floor in back?

In a Grand Tour they are somewhere under the left rear wheel arch. We're not sure precisely!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:12 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Chicago , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
In a Grand Tour they are somewhere under the left rear wheel arch. We're not sure precisely!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
oh no, now I"m really lost. Up until this point I thought everyone was saying curbside underneath the lounge
Marks71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
House battery access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks71 View Post
oh no, now I"m really lost. Up until this point I thought everyone was saying curbside underneath the lounge

No, the Grand Tour is different from the other models. When I took a look at a Grand Tour, the weather prevented me from crawling underneath to verify!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:44 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Chicago , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
No, the Grand Tour is different from the other models. When I took a look at a Grand Tour, the weather prevented me from crawling underneath to verify!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Ok thanks. I'll find them and then re post
Old 08-31-2015, 01:00 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Batteries on the Grand Tour models are located under the van behind the rear wheels on the drivers side. The are exposed and on there side with terminals inward, just outboard from the generator. If you look real close at the Colonial Airstream video of the GT model you get a glimpse of the batteries when they show the generator under van.

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:11 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Chicago , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Batteries on the Grand Tour models are located under the van behind the rear wheels on the drivers side. The are exposed and on there side with terminals inward, just outboard from the generator. If you look real close at the Colonial Airstream video of the GT model you get a glimpse of the batteries when they show the generator under van.

- - Mike
Thanks Mike
Old 08-31-2015, 08:14 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

House battery access

How right you are! I just looked under our 2015 Grand Tour, and the batteries are indeed under the vehicle BEHIND the rear wheels on the driver side. In addition, they appear to be reasonably accessible for service. I'll know better this week when I have mine replaced. Thanks for checking into this. It's surprising that this information seemingly has not been available from AS Support.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:57 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
House battery access

Airstream's manuals are terrible. Even the new 2015 Part Manual does not show the battery mounts for the new GT location. I researched this location closely because I'm putting my new battery upgrade in the same place. I'll be installing four Lifeline GPL-4CT, 6V batteries, two on each side, for total capacity of 440 AH. Also adding a Magnum MS 2000 inverter so I can run the microwave off batteries. This will be the last major upgrade I plan to add to my Interstate. Anything more and I'll just have to buy a new van. 😉

- - Mike
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:43 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Chicago , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Airstream's manuals are terrible. Even the new 2015 Part Manual does not show the battery mounts for the new GT location. I researched this location closely because I'm putting my new battery upgrade in the same place. I'll be installing four Lifeline GPL-4CT, 6V batteries, two on each side, for total capacity of 440 AH. Also adding a Magnum MS 2000 inverter so I can run the microwave off batteries. This will be the last major upgrade I plan to add to my Interstate. Anything more and I'll just have to buy a new van. 😉

- - Mike
The manuals are terrible. I generally look through the 2015 manual AND the 2016, AND that book that I bought about AI's, before I ask a question in the forum because I don't want to take up people's time for easy-to-find info. But really ... the manuals are hit and miss, usually miss. Plus so much changes from year-to-year.

Thanks again
Old 08-31-2015, 12:37 PM   #14
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks71 View Post
The manuals are terrible. I generally look through the 2015 manual AND the 2016, AND that book that I bought about AI's, before I ask a question in the forum because I don't want to take up people's time for easy-to-find info. But really ... the manuals are hit and miss, usually miss. Plus so much changes from year-to-year.
I used to write technical specifications for a living, and for me, reading the Airstream Interstate manual is positively painful.

I'd be more than happy to write GOOD Airstream Interstate manuals for them, if they'd agree to compensate me commensurate with my efforts.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:39 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Chicago , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I used to write technical specifications for a living, and for me, reading the Airstream Interstate manual is positively painful.

I'd be more than happy to write GOOD Airstream Interstate manuals for them, if they'd agree to compensate me commensurate with my efforts.
I was actually daydreaming earlier today about a "Wiki" style effort by you, and Lew and several other of the obviously knowledgable and generous contributors to this forum.

I'm sure Airstream would have trouble coming up with a compensation plan. I wonder if there would be a payment-in-kind opportunity (e.g. discount on accessories, service (LOL! funny) ) or something?

After just several months of ownership, I think I can imagine how the manuals get written. One part-time employee (or full-time who devotes a % of his/her overall job to it); starts with the .pdf of last year's manual; routes it around various departments and asks for changes; which takes a month or two; and then some committee approves the final version, which as we all know has lots of inaccuracies and missing info.