Old 12-17-2013, 10:17 AM   #57
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Back on the house battery thread. I have a 2013 Interstate Lounge EXT. I am trying to isolate the parasitic drains when I go into storage (even for a short period). I confirmed the TV antenna amp shuts down with the 12v disconnect, along with the LP detector. The LP valve was switched off earlier. How do I shut down the panel for the inverter/charger? I crawled into the back of the van but cannot see a switch anywhere (under the couch). I have not pulled any panels yet, but I can see an LED glowing in there, in a place I can barely get to (so far). Any thoughts are welcome.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:41 AM   #58
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by toskeysam View Post
Back on the house battery thread. I have a 2013 Interstate Lounge EXT. I am trying to isolate the parasitic drains when I go into storage (even for a short period). I confirmed the TV antenna amp shuts down with the 12v disconnect, along with the LP detector. The LP valve was switched off earlier. How do I shut down the panel for the inverter/charger? I crawled into the back of the van but cannot see a switch anywhere (under the couch). I have not pulled any panels yet, but I can see an LED glowing in there, in a place I can barely get to (so far). Any thoughts are welcome.
Tripplites have a small unlit three-position switch near the top right corner of the inverter/charger. Center position is off.

Don't know about the magnum inverter/charger.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
I have a 2014 Interstate with the Magnum inverter/charger and when it was new brought up this topic with the dealer and with Airstream support. Bottom line is you cannot turn off power to absolutely everything, and that includes the capacity display panel, the electric couch, even the tank heater switch, and some others.
I have learnt to live with it and charge the batteries when I know they are getting down a bit.
The only way to completely stop the discharge would be to disconnect the batteries altogether. Which is a bit of a pain.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #60

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
Bottom line is you cannot turn off power to absolutely everything
But you can turn off everything that is turn-off-able, to at least extend the time between recharges.

Inverter - If the Magnum inverter/charger doesn't have an actual "off" switch you can access, then the next best thing is manually putting it in "charge" mode while there's no incoming 120vAC, so even though it's still turned on it's not doing anything.

Tank heater switch - A bit of tape to hold it in the "off" position guards against accidentally switching it on. When getting up in the wee hours to, well, wee, I have been known to reach around the corner and fumble for the bathroom light switch, rather than taking that one extra step to see around the corner and make sure I hit the right one, so the tape is just a precaution against my own inattention.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 12-17-2013, 12:42 PM   #61
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Thanks for the quick responses guys! I have turned off everything I can find that is "turn-off-able". I took delivery three weeks ago, and know from what the tech said, that the batteries were "flat" twice I know of. Once when I was visiting the lot, and again on the morning we picked it up. Tech thought the refrig and been left on...... I have been putting it on shorepower at home for at least three days, and then shutting down for storage. My first try did not flip the 12v disconnect off, and my only extra step was to turn of the solenoid on the LP tank feed. That ended (2 wks later) with a very low batteries. Live and learn.....I read more of these forum posts and am trying more aggressive steps to ensure minimal drain. If this doesn't work, I will talk to the tech about "equalization" steps.....if that isn't the correct option I may need to check the battery condition. Trying to learn what I can before I start whining to the dealer.
Going to watch the batteries over the next week, with the current configuration....see how that goes.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:36 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruffid View Post
So the roof rack from front to rear would be 14' x 6'?

Yes14 feet long, but probably only about 5 feet wide. I don't have exact width. You'll have to contact vendor for exact dimensions.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:59 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Thanks for the quick responses guys! I have turned off everything I can find that is "turn-off-able". I took delivery three weeks ago, and know from what the tech said, that the batteries were "flat" twice I know of. Once when I was visiting the lot, and again on the morning we picked it up. Tech thought the refrig and been left on...... I have been putting it on shorepower at home for at least three days, and then shutting down for storage. My first try did not flip the 12v disconnect off, and my only extra step was to turn of the solenoid on the LP tank feed. That ended (2 wks later) with a very low batteries. Live and learn.....I read more of these forum posts and am trying more aggressive steps to ensure minimal drain. If this doesn't work, I will talk to the tech about "equalization" steps.....if that isn't the correct option I may need to check the battery condition. Trying to learn what I can before I start whining to the dealer.
Going to watch the batteries over the next week, with the current configuration....see how that goes.
Not sure what you meant by "flat lining" the batteries but if they went near or below 50 percent, you should probably have them tested to see if they've been permanently degraded.

You can also turn off all of the circuit breakers just to eliminate any possible drains.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:18 AM   #64

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Not sure what you meant by "flat lining" the batteries…
Probably dropping below 0% charge (11.89v). Happened to me twice. Once my fault, in the first two weeks I owned my Interstate, before I developed my "turn off" checklist (dropped to about 10.5vDC). Pulled the batteries— which was an adventure in itself with no power to the sofa motor— and bench-charged them with a 3-stage charger to restore them to some semblance of life.

Once when the dealer's service technician parked it in their yard after they were finished doing some work on it, and left stuff turned on (dropped to 9.7vDC) for nearly a week before I could get over there to pick it up. When confronted about it, the service department foreman said that the batteries were probably already bad, and his man leaving everything turned on for a week had nothing to do with it, oh, and by the way, the warranty on the batteries was only one year so if you want new ones, it's at your expense. I borrowed one of their shore power pedestals and used the Tripplite to semi-ressurrect the batteries (at least enough for the solar panel charge controller to start working again), with the intention of buying replacement batteries elsewhere.

Still using those twice-dead zombie batteries, but no telling how much longer they'll last before they have to be replaced. But my next few camping trips are all to places with electric hookups, so I suppose there's no major hurry to get it done during the holiday season. When I do replace them, the replacements will be 6v Lifeline batteries in series, to give me about 50% more amp-hours, a 5-year warranty, and a lower self-discharge rate.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 12-18-2013, 08:12 AM   #65
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
By "Flat-lining" I meant..no status on the battery condition check. I did not try operating anything, just saw no reading for the coach battery condition. That is why I am paying more attention to details from this point forward.

BTW...according to the info for the Magnum inverter/charger...there is a power button on the unit itself. The problem is that the unit is buried inside the cabinet below the couch. I can see the status LED's but just can't reach it, without removing the back panel.

Took it off shorepower yesterday. Flipped the 12v disconnect. Going to check conditions this afternoon. IF it has gone down again, I will snap an ammeter on the battery lead to see what, if any, load it is seeing (after recharging). Crossing fingers, toes, eyes, and legs in hopes it stays charged.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
You can also turn off all of the circuit breakers just to eliminate any possible drains.
Actually I did just that; then plugged in shore power and was away for 3 weeks. When I returned the batteries were again totally flat.
I concluded that turning off all circuit breakers also turned off the Magnum charger.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:54 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Even with the TrippLite turned off the solar panel continues to charge the house batteries and the chassis battery on mine.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #68

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Even with the TrippLite turned off the solar panel continues to charge the house batteries and the chassis battery on mine.
The problem was, the charge controller is powered by the house batteries— not directly from the solar panel— and when the house batteries drain too far, the charge controller quits working and so the solar panel quits charging the batteries. Can you say, Catch-22?

So I had to charge the batteries enough for the solar charge controller to work, before the solar panel could finish the job.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 12-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #69
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Update on battery life for me.... Second day in storage battery shows 60% The first day was sunny and battery was at 100-95%. Spent a little more time searching out the threads related to battery life, and it looks like I am in good company in wondering WTH is going on....and learning to deal with it. After Christmas I will most likely look at the equalization (or conditioning) charge steps in the Lifeline manual. We wanted to take it on the Christmas trip, but since that would be the maiden voyage, and there is one heck-of-a storm rolling across the plains, discretion will be the better part of valor for us. When I get back I will have a chance to put it on shorepower for several days to get the charge up first. These batteries were on the dealer's lot for a long time, so Heaven only knows what state they are in now.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:12 PM   #70
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Returned fom our Christmas trip and the batteries were still 55-60%. The solar panel was still operating and showed a number of amp-hrs supplied. There were not that many sunny days, but it did seem to hold its own while we were gone. That makes me feel better about their state. I am keeping the van in our driveway, plugged into shorepower, for the next week. The trials continue, but it is looking like I am gaining ground (or at least experience) in battery capacity. I will have the batteries load tested later, but at least it isn't as urgent now.