Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Thanks for the quick responses guys! I have turned off everything I can find that is "turn-off-able". I took delivery three weeks ago, and know from what the tech said, that the batteries were "flat" twice I know of. Once when I was visiting the lot, and again on the morning we picked it up. Tech thought the refrig and been left on...... I have been putting it on shorepower at home for at least three days, and then shutting down for storage. My first try did not flip the 12v disconnect off, and my only extra step was to turn of the solenoid on the LP tank feed. That ended (2 wks later) with a very low batteries. Live and learn.....I read more of these forum posts and am trying more aggressive steps to ensure minimal drain. If this doesn't work, I will talk to the tech about "equalization" steps.....if that isn't the correct option I may need to check the battery condition. Trying to learn what I can before I start whining to the dealer.
Going to watch the batteries over the next week, with the current configuration....see how that goes.
toskeysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:36 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruffid View Post
So the roof rack from front to rear would be 14' x 6'?

Yes14 feet long, but probably only about 5 feet wide. I don't have exact width. You'll have to contact vendor for exact dimensions.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by toskeysam View Post
Thanks for the quick responses guys! I have turned off everything I can find that is "turn-off-able". I took delivery three weeks ago, and know from what the tech said, that the batteries were "flat" twice I know of. Once when I was visiting the lot, and again on the morning we picked it up. Tech thought the refrig and been left on...... I have been putting it on shorepower at home for at least three days, and then shutting down for storage. My first try did not flip the 12v disconnect off, and my only extra step was to turn of the solenoid on the LP tank feed. That ended (2 wks later) with a very low batteries. Live and learn.....I read more of these forum posts and am trying more aggressive steps to ensure minimal drain. If this doesn't work, I will talk to the tech about "equalization" steps.....if that isn't the correct option I may need to check the battery condition. Trying to learn what I can before I start whining to the dealer.
Going to watch the batteries over the next week, with the current configuration....see how that goes.
Not sure what you meant by "flat lining" the batteries but if they went near or below 50 percent, you should probably have them tested to see if they've been permanently degraded.

You can also turn off all of the circuit breakers just to eliminate any possible drains.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:18 AM   #64
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Not sure what you meant by "flat lining" the batteries…
Probably dropping below 0% charge (11.89v). Happened to me twice. Once my fault, in the first two weeks I owned my Interstate, before I developed my "turn off" checklist (dropped to about 10.5vDC). Pulled the batteries— which was an adventure in itself with no power to the sofa motor— and bench-charged them with a 3-stage charger to restore them to some semblance of life.

Once when the dealer's service technician parked it in their yard after they were finished doing some work on it, and left stuff turned on (dropped to 9.7vDC) for nearly a week before I could get over there to pick it up. When confronted about it, the service department foreman said that the batteries were probably already bad, and his man leaving everything turned on for a week had nothing to do with it, oh, and by the way, the warranty on the batteries was only one year so if you want new ones, it's at your expense. I borrowed one of their shore power pedestals and used the Tripplite to semi-ressurrect the batteries (at least enough for the solar panel charge controller to start working again), with the intention of buying replacement batteries elsewhere.

Still using those twice-dead zombie batteries, but no telling how much longer they'll last before they have to be replaced. But my next few camping trips are all to places with electric hookups, so I suppose there's no major hurry to get it done during the holiday season. When I do replace them, the replacements will be 6v Lifeline batteries in series, to give me about 50% more amp-hours, a 5-year warranty, and a lower self-discharge rate.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:12 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
By "Flat-lining" I meant..no status on the battery condition check. I did not try operating anything, just saw no reading for the coach battery condition. That is why I am paying more attention to details from this point forward.

BTW...according to the info for the Magnum inverter/charger...there is a power button on the unit itself. The problem is that the unit is buried inside the cabinet below the couch. I can see the status LED's but just can't reach it, without removing the back panel.

Took it off shorepower yesterday. Flipped the 12v disconnect. Going to check conditions this afternoon. IF it has gone down again, I will snap an ammeter on the battery lead to see what, if any, load it is seeing (after recharging). Crossing fingers, toes, eyes, and legs in hopes it stays charged.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:58 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
You can also turn off all of the circuit breakers just to eliminate any possible drains.
Actually I did just that; then plugged in shore power and was away for 3 weeks. When I returned the batteries were again totally flat.
I concluded that turning off all circuit breakers also turned off the Magnum charger.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:54 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Even with the TrippLite turned off the solar panel continues to charge the house batteries and the chassis battery on mine.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:05 AM   #68
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Even with the TrippLite turned off the solar panel continues to charge the house batteries and the chassis battery on mine.
The problem was, the charge controller is powered by the house batteries— not directly from the solar panel— and when the house batteries drain too far, the charge controller quits working and so the solar panel quits charging the batteries. Can you say, Catch-22?

So I had to charge the batteries enough for the solar charge controller to work, before the solar panel could finish the job.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:35 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Update on battery life for me.... Second day in storage battery shows 60% The first day was sunny and battery was at 100-95%. Spent a little more time searching out the threads related to battery life, and it looks like I am in good company in wondering WTH is going on....and learning to deal with it. After Christmas I will most likely look at the equalization (or conditioning) charge steps in the Lifeline manual. We wanted to take it on the Christmas trip, but since that would be the maiden voyage, and there is one heck-of-a storm rolling across the plains, discretion will be the better part of valor for us. When I get back I will have a chance to put it on shorepower for several days to get the charge up first. These batteries were on the dealer's lot for a long time, so Heaven only knows what state they are in now.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:12 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Returned fom our Christmas trip and the batteries were still 55-60%. The solar panel was still operating and showed a number of amp-hrs supplied. There were not that many sunny days, but it did seem to hold its own while we were gone. That makes me feel better about their state. I am keeping the van in our driveway, plugged into shorepower, for the next week. The trials continue, but it is looking like I am gaining ground (or at least experience) in battery capacity. I will have the batteries load tested later, but at least it isn't as urgent now.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:57 PM   #71
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Update on battery life for me.... Second day in storage battery shows 60% The first day was sunny and battery was at 100-95%. Spent a little more time searching out the threads related to battery life, and it looks like I am in good company in wondering WTH is going on....and learning to deal with it. After Christmas I will most likely look at the equalization (or conditioning) charge steps in the Lifeline manual. We wanted to take it on the Christmas trip, but since that would be the maiden voyage, and there is one heck-of-a storm rolling across the plains, discretion will be the better part of valor for us. When I get back I will have a chance to put it on shorepower for several days to get the charge up first. These batteries were on the dealer's lot for a long time, so Heaven only knows what state they are in now.
CAUTION!!

Conditioning Lifelines is a very exact and tricky process that should not be done without proper equipment! Be sure to talk to Lifeline tech support for the correct method of conditioning, or you could easily ruin them from overcharging or thermal runaway!.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:52 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Thank you for the warning lewster. My caution is exactly why I haven't already jumped in and tried "conditioning". If I get to that point, after I have gone as far as I can otherwise....I will definitely be in touch with the "techs". I have read the instructions from Lifeline, but experience has taught me to get the guidance from someone with hands-on experience before moving ahead. The manuals (Magnum and Lifeline) are pretty clear, but I definitely want the tech to be on the phone with me when I push "start" on the conditioning. Frankly, I am not convinced I need to take that step just yet. I am getting some positive results with better power management and extended shorepower charges. Working on a 7 day charge right now.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:32 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Returned fom our Christmas trip and the batteries were still 55-60%. The solar panel was still operating and showed a number of amp-hrs supplied. There were not that many sunny days, but it did seem to hold its own while we were gone. That makes me feel better about their state. I am keeping the van in our driveway, plugged into shorepower, for the next week. The trials continue, but it is looking like I am gaining ground (or at least experience) in battery capacity. I will have the batteries load tested later, but at least it isn't as urgent now.
If everything was turned off and the solar panel only kept them at 50%, then I'd suspect something in the system. I'm in the KCMO area and we had several cloudy days in a row and it stayed @ 100%.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:40 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
@73shark....I do think something is wrong somewhere. I was just happy that they did not drop further in that week I was away. I have been unable to spend much time trying to figure it out.....that time of year. Now that holiday travel is over I can spend some serious time checking things out. and no I did not take the van on the trip. We went into snow country and I did not want to risk getting that "first dent" with less than 200 miles on it. When it stops raining here, I plan to attack with my ammeter first, to see if I do have an unidentified load somewhere. If not, then its off to have the batteries load tested. The journey continues.....just one step at a time.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:56 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
and another observation....... I have had my 2013 Interstate EXT on shorepower for 5 days now. I have the Magnum Inverter/Charger. Unless I am mistaken, I should see "Full Charge" sometime....... I have seen only "Float" since the evening of Day 1. Did I miss something somewhere? Conditions are: temp ranging from 25 at night to uppe 30's in the day time. Minimal direct sunlight. Nothing turned on in the coach, in fact the 12v disconnect has been in "discnnect" for last 2 days. Still learning folks.....
Old 01-02-2014, 07:23 PM   #76
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Your batteries ARE FULL if your Magnum is reading 'float'.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:11 PM   #77
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Your batteries ARE FULL if your Magnum is reading 'float'.
Yes - it has taken me 6 months to understand the way the Magnum works and I now trust it and keep it plugged into a shore line when it's garaged at home.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:27 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
Yes - it has taken me 6 months to understand the way the Magnum works and I now trust it and keep it plugged into a shore line when it's garaged at home.
Seems like in Arizona, the solar panel would keep them charged unless you have stuff turned on.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:57 PM   #79
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Seems like in Arizona, the solar panel would keep them charged unless you have stuff turned on.
You're right - it does when parked outside. But like everyone else there's a drain that I have to contend with, and the shoreline copes with it, whereas the solar panel doesn't always.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:04 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Guess I was blessed w/ a high performance solar panel.