Old 07-09-2018, 03:56 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Outside Phoenix Arizona in early August (125 degrees +)

In my driveway at 8000 feet in Durango, CO in January (-40 degrees)

RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:07 AM   #16
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDreamer View Post
Outside Phoenix Arizona in early August (125 degrees +)

In my driveway at 8000 feet in Durango, CO in January (-40 degrees)
RVDREAMER - Yes, I have friends with rv's whose main residences are in Palm Springs, Indio, & Yuma. I think they are the only ones that could come close to your 125 degrees but they don't stay there in summers (smart) so they don't count

But boy, oh boy. (-40 degrees) is St. Paul MN type cold. Didn't realize it can get that cold in Durango. I assume you were not using the AI in that cold. Coz obviously you can't have any water in the plumbing system. I don't think I plan to venture anywhere remotely close to that cold.

You probably get the prize for largest temp differential = 165 degrees!

Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:04 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Sebastopol , California
We've been in the 120's in Palm Springs and Death Valley. Fortunately density altitude doesn't affect the AI as we are still on the ground, even at altitude! We still "take off" early while the air is cooler.
Sebtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebtown View Post
We've been in the 120's in Palm Springs and Death Valley. Fortunately density altitude really doesn't affect the AI but we still "take off" early while the air is cooler.
SEBTOWN - Since Death Valley is only 2-hrs. from LV, we go there a lot but only from Nov to Mar. Almost same with Palm Springs. Both areas are wonderful in late fall, winter, & early spring. But soooo hot in summer. Las Vegas heat does not bother me much anymore. But DV & PS is at a different level all together.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:58 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
I drove through part of the Majave after leaving Hualapai Mt park (World Observed moto trial) in August. It was late afternoon and around 120 I think. I stopped at a rest area and about colapsed when I got out of the van. At least it stayed fairly comfy inside and no engine overheating issues in the slightest.

Back when I was a Helicopter manager (dealing directly with Heli contractors for specific work), I had to do load calculations for the worst conditions we would see that day. Always needed to consider air density.
For the crashes we had to learn about- it seemed along with mechanical failures, ĎHot and Heavyí was the biggest issue. Mostly they talked about the hot heavy ones, since mechanical failures are mostly out of our control. Except shutting the operation down if anything at all has an issue.

The coldest may have been wintertime right on the ocean here in Washington state. Yeah, temps were really not that cold (maybe 25-28ļf) but with the damp, cold wind off the ocean in the thinly insulated AI... Of course, a bad house battery didnít help. Iíd have to run the generator or engine to charge it up enough to run the propane furnace.

Iím a wimp, it is 75ļ with 50% humidity right now, and seem too hot. (Might be ok outside in the shade, sipping on a bitter)

Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus54 View Post
I drove through part of the Majave after leaving Hualapai Mt park (World Observed moto trial) in August. It was late afternoon and around 120 I think. I stopped at a rest area and about colapsed when I got out of the van.

Iím a wimp, it is 75ļ with 50% humidity right now, and seem too hot. (Might be ok outside in the shade, sipping on a bitter)

Mark
MARK - Yep, know that desert area well, 120 but it's dry heat it's my team's training grounds. We have also ridden up Hualapai (not on moto, but on road racing bikes, we spend many winters riding/training around Kingman, Oatman). Hard climb up that mtn. but screamin' downhill.

I could only dream of a beautiful 75ļ with 50% humidity right now as we shake & bake in LV
Old 07-13-2018, 04:37 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Itís not much cooler in Barstow either!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:13 PM   #22
Contributing Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Itís not much cooler in Barstow either!
We were marooned in Barstow once in the summer, back in the days when I owned a Scamp. I had tow vehicle trouble. It hit 120 and there is absolutely nothing to do. Believe it or not, the 11,000 BTU AC in the Scamp kept it nice and cool. The only shell insulation was Reflectix covered with thick mouse-fuzz cloth.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:47 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
AC load is not all that much, but the AC heat exchanger is located in front of the radiator/intercooler and heats the air even more before the radiator gets it. Coolant temp drops about 10-15 degrees when I do that.

If you switch your AC to "MAX" or "RECIRC" you will drop the condenser temp quite a bit since it will not be extracting as much heat from the already cooled air. I do this on my Chevy Express 3500 when it is really hot and it keeps the temp a good 8-10 degrees cooler. On a hill I switch it to "VENT" and I get a bit of residual coolish air for about a minute. When parking I run the heat full blast for a minute or two before shutting down to bring the temp down to avoid heat soak and coolant bubbling into the overflow.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:56 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
On the Texas Coast we get hot, but rarely above mid 90s thanks to sea breeze. But humidity adds 5-7 degrees to the "feels like" temperature. Plenty hot, but not extreme like some have mentioned here.

Winters are mild with most cold fronts not making it down this far. A couple light freezes are about the worst. This past December 8th, however, brought temps around freezing and an extremely rare weather event for us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6466.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	365.7 KB
ID:	316843  
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:16 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
It hit 120 and there is absolutely nothing to do. .
RMKRUM, JOHN - we always stop at Barstow on way to So Cal or coming back home. The only thing to do there is eat at the McD at Barstow Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
If you switch your AC to "MAX" or "RECIRC" you will drop the condenser temp quite a bit since it will not be extracting as much heat from the already cooled air. I do this on my Chevy Express 3500 when it is really hot and it keeps the temp a good 8-10 degrees cooler. On a hill I switch it to "VENT" and I get a bit of residual coolish air for about a minute. When parking I run the heat full blast for a minute or two before shutting down to bring the temp down to avoid heat soak and coolant bubbling into the overflow.
ITSNO60 - I will remember this tip. I knew about the RECIRCULATED mode but did not realize it's effect on condenser temp. Did not not know anything about coolant bubbling. Good tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
This past December 8th, however, brought temps around freezing and an extremely rare weather event for us.
ROWIEBOWIE - snow in Texas? That is rare. It may snow once a year in Las Vegas. But it rarely gets below freezing. So I am hoping I can skate by forever without having to winterize the rv That prospect scares me that I will forget something really critical and freeze a water line
Old 07-15-2018, 09:55 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post

ROWIEBOWIE - snow in Texas? That is rare. It may snow once a year in Las Vegas. But it rarely gets below freezing. So I am hoping I can skate by forever without having to winterize the rv That prospect scares me that I will forget something really critical and freeze a water line
Snow in Texas is not rare. Snow in South Texas is very rare.

In my 64 yrs., I've only known 4 snows that actually stayed on the ground and the best two have been in recent times. Christmas Eve '2004 and last December 8th were both 5 inches that stayed for several days. The worst freeze was back in 1983 when temps stayed in the teens & low 20s for three days and even froze the top inch of salt water in the bay.

Outside of those aberrations, I too do not plan to winterize. Just drain pipes and tanks. At most, I may add antifreeze to gray & black tank/macerator if they predict something unusual. But antifreeze in the fresh water tank? Yuck! I'll probably just take my chances and run the furnace & tank heaters for a night.

As far as heat goes, on full sun days recently with highs in the low 90's, the inside of the Avenue only reaches 107 degrees at galley counter top level. This is completely closed up, with reflectix and cab shades in place. Cooler than your outside temperatures. So while we've got significantly less heat to deal with than you, as Interblog points out, it's plenty hot.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:29 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
But antifreeze in the fresh water tank? Yuck! I'll probably just take my chances and run the furnace & tank heaters for a night.

ROWIEBOWIE - I read that certain type rv antifreeze is made for fresh water tank. But like you, I don't find the idea appealing, kinda like the idea that certain amount of lead is deemed safe because EPA says so. Not very appealing

On subject of less heat, you Gulf Coast folks can appreciate this - first some background. I have lived in Las Vegas almost 20yrs. Temps here are brutal this time of year. We usually don't go below 105, and on worst days it gets close to 115. But the normal humidity levels are below 10%. This week, a front dropped temps below 100 but humidity shot up to 35-45%. We even had thunderstorms everyday & last night. Flash flooding was happening in certain areas.

I was doing mods inside AI and it was inside garage. I had it plugged in and A/C was running all day. When I exited AI after being in it for 6 hrs. I saw a horrifying image that set me into panic - a STREAM of water flowing from R/S rear panel near shore power plug. My first thought was "Oh no! The water heater line sprung a leak". As I hurried back to turn off everything & expecting the worst, I happen to see out of corner of my eye that the source of stream was from the roof. It took a few seconds for the little light bulb to turn on. Then realized it was that much condensation the A/C was producing, it literally looked like a garden hose that was left slightly open, enough to have steady stream.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:18 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post

I was doing mods inside AI and it was inside garage. I had it plugged in and A/C was running all day. When I exited AI after being in it for 6 hrs. I saw a horrifying image that set me into panic - a STREAM of water flowing from R/S rear panel near shore power plug. My first thought was "Oh no! The water heater line sprung a leak". As I hurried back to turn off everything & expecting the worst, I happen to see out of corner of my eye that the source of stream was from the roof. It took a few seconds for the little light bulb to turn on. Then realized it was that much condensation the A/C was producing, it literally looked like a garden hose that was left slightly open, enough to have steady stream.

Funny. Sometimes I wind crawling under one our cars looking for a water leak because even I can't believe that much is coming from just the a/c. On our return from Yellowstone in May, we knew we were getting close to home when our cold bottles of water began to sweat.