Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-14-2014, 02:26 PM   #1
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
Hot water heater won't ignite

Works fine on the AC side. Igniter clicks, fuse looks good, just no propane to system. Tried several times a day during last weeks' dry camp outing. Pain in the neck to run the generator for hot water. Any magical solutions before I notify the dealer?
jkinglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:36 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
You can ensure you have DC voltage.. Unplug an reseat the electrical connector. Have you verified other gas appliances work?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:45 PM   #3
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
You can ensure you have DC voltage.. Unplug an reseat the electrical connector. Have you verified other gas appliances work?
Thanks. Will reset the electrical connector. All other propane appliances work.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:15 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
If propane there that's not problem.

Can you observe the burner while someone else turns on the WH?

Ours would fire up briefly then shut down. Red indicator came on. I removed the spark device inside the burner then cleaned it up with my wife's fingernail emery board. Reassembled and all works great now.

As the burner runs, carbon is produced and builds up on the igniter. The spark flows fine. However, the second purpose of the igniter is to test for a flame being present. If no flame after a couple seconds, the circuit board shuts off the propane to keep from exploding your trailer. The carbon is not conductive enough...

Seems strange, but you can get continuity through a flame. That is what the board tests for.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:47 PM   #5
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I can diagnose this easily. You are trying to heat hot water. It just wants to heat cold water. That is what water heaters do.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:02 PM   #6
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
I can diagnose this easily. You are trying to heat hot water. It just wants to heat cold water. That is what water heaters do.
Just discovered what's up. Altitude was the issue. I dry camped in the High Okanogan of Washington State in an area about 4600 feet above sea level. The propane would not ignite (even with cold water). Parked at sea level today, 1st click, propane ignited (12V and shore) and all is well with the hot water heater. Just need to research how to adjust the ignition for altitude if possible. Will check Atwood site.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkinglet View Post
Just discovered what's up. Altitude was the issue. I dry camped in the High Okanogan of Washington State in an area about 4600 feet above sea level. The propane would not ignite (even with cold water). Parked at sea level today, 1st click, propane ignited (12V and shore) and all is well with the hot water heater. Just need to research how to adjust the ignition for altitude if possible. Will check Atwood site.
Humm, I live at 4500 feet and frequently drive to higher altitudes and never had any problems. The water heater may need adjusting, but I'm wondering whether it's due to something quite different like the propane pressure, i.e. regulator. I think you should have that tested out.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I tow mine from Miami to Yellowstone. Sea level to 7800 feet. Never had my Atwood fail to ignite so I'm thinking you have an intermittent open somewhere...

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:41 PM   #9
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
Humm, I live at 4500 feet and frequently drive to higher altitudes and never had any problems. The water heater may need adjusting, but I'm wondering whether it's due to something quite different like the propane pressure, i.e. regulator. I think you should have that tested out.
Thanks a bunch. Will have it checked out during my upcoming dealer visit. The propane regulator recall was performed and all other propane functions work fine (except for the part about crawling out at 5 a.m. like a reptile in the pouring rain, 40 degrees with sandals on, to get down on one knee, undo the propane cover and flip the switch so I can turn the heat on). That part needs adjustment and is on my short list of upcoming mods (LED inside toggle switch).
Old 06-15-2014, 08:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
(except for the part about crawling out at 5 a.m. like a reptile in the pouring rain, 40 degrees with sandals on, to get down on one knee, undo the propane cover and flip the switch so I can turn the heat on)
Trying to find a serious solution for you here: don't you have a significant other who can do all this for you?
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:47 PM   #11
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
Trying to find a serious solution for you here: don't you have a significant other who can do all this for you?
I was solo last week. My solution goes along on our next outing to the Oregon Coast. Better have it fixed by then or who knows.......
Old 06-16-2014, 04:06 AM   #12
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Just discovered what's up. Will check Atwood site.
No, actually you didn't. I was pointing out the oxymoron that a huge number of people suffer through(including my wife)… It is a water heater. You heat water with it. It is not a hot water heater. Why would you heat hot water? it is hot already and does not need heating.

I think your problem is a ground issue or lack of proper gas pressure. I also think being so new, your water heater is still under warranty.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:13 PM   #13
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
I was pointing out the oxymoron that a huge number of people suffer through(including my wife)…
I thought it was a tautology, not an oxymoron. But anyway…
Old 06-18-2014, 07:36 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I thought it was a tautology, not an oxymoron. But anyway…

Yes, for grammar sticklers, it is a redundant use of words vs. a contradictory use of words.
GAStreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:38 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas

Oh goodie, learned a new word.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:16 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cincinnati , Ohio
I just thought I would throw my 2 cents into this conversation. I have had intermittent problems with our DSI water heater since I bought it. I wish I would have bought the basic one and not messed with the automatic one. I have one on a pop-up that lights every time and has never given me a problem. That said, I did diagnose the problem to be the ignighter. It would light the flame, but it would not tell the computer that it was lit. I tried my best to clean the wire, but it did not help. I bought a new ignighter and now it works perfectly. It is nice to turn it on from inside the trailer, but sometimes simpler is better.

Eric
Old 06-18-2014, 10:29 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Also, if the ignitor wire is not positioned properly in the flame, it will not "prove" to the circuit board that the flame is lit, and turn it off. That location is fairly critical and the manufactures instructions must be carefully followed.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote