Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-01-2018, 03:28 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
East Hampton , Connecticut
Hot water heater

Question: I have a 2017 AI. The hot water heater is not lighting and I think the propane needs to be turned up on the heater. ( Thr stove and generator work fine). Does anyone know how to adjust the propane level for the hot water heater???
Jererae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 04:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jererae View Post
Question: I have a 2017 AI. The hot water heater is not lighting and I think the propane needs to be turned up on the heater. ( Thr stove and generator work fine). Does anyone know how to adjust the propane level for the hot water heater???
Keep trying. You probably need to get the air out of the line. Are you sure there is propane in the tank?
There is no adjustment without the proper tools and an understanding of what you are doing.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:54 PM   #3
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Mud bugs on exhaust?
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 01:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Try unplugging and re-connecting every wire connected to the heater. Sometimes a build-up of corrosion will cause a poor connection.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Mud bugs on exhaust?
My trouble was a mud dauber's next in the chamber.

But the OP's model is much newer. Still, if it's the Suburban model, it is easy to check for obstructions in the upper or lower parts of the combustion chamber. Best done at night or late evening when it's not so bright out. Easy to see with a flashlight.

Ours was trying to light, just couldn't (or if it did, it wouldn't stay lit). It did cause the fault light on the inside control panel. If you're plugged in, you can always use the electric heating element.

rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 05:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Ours would not stay lit just after washing it (power washer). Removed and reinstalled a few wires and blew into the heater tube. A short while later it did light and stay that way. Note sure if it was anything I did or if it was just the time that passed.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 12:08 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
My trouble was a mud dauber's next in the chamber
ROWIEBOWIE, WACHUKO - what is a mud dauber and mud bug? Is that a regional thing like alligators, mosquitos, flies (we don't have those either in LV). BUT we have rattlesnakes & scorpions
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 03:02 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Using the new search function in the blue box above, which works great BTW:

https://www.google.com/search?q=mud+...=airforums.com

They can mess up flues from fridge/furnace/water heater, which are nice warm spots from a dauber's perspective.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 05:54 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
ROWIEBOWIE, WACHUKO - what is a mud dauber and mud bug? Is that a regional thing like alligators, mosquitos, flies (we don't have those either in LV). BUT we have rattlesnakes & scorpions
Mud dauber are wasps that like to build nests in our propane tubes.

Once cleared out, most of us have a piece of wire mesh covering the openings to or3vent them from doing it again.

Maggie
Old 09-04-2018, 06:11 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
I agree with Titus. The only time our heater failed to light was because of a corroded grounding wire connection. Easy fix.
Shads Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:20 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
And [emoji57] technically it is a Water Heater. No one heats water that is already hot, do they?

And DEF is not DEF FLUID... DEF is an acronym for Diesel Emission Fluid.

Saw a sign recently that said ATM Machine inside. ATM = automated teller machine.

Sorry, the ghost of my favorite English teacher must be visiting me again.

Paula
Old 09-04-2018, 06:33 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
When you reconnect the wiring, daub on some dielectric grease to prevent corrosion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dielectric grease.jpeg
Views:	47
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	321471  
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:30 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thankz Paul, Ive gien up on typoz and simlar wurd probs. Their are to many too folloe!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 11:58 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbee View Post
When you reconnect the wiring, daub on some dielectric grease to prevent corrosion.

Good suggestion. Although I have not found any corroded connections on my Avenue, I did find plenty of blade connections that were a bear to pull loose. Actually pulled the blade from a light switch instead of just pulling the connection wire off. Once a mud dauber's amount of dielectric grease is applied, they slide on and off like butter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Thankz Paul, Ive gien up on typoz and simlar wurd probs. Their are to many too folloe!

Me tooze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
And [emoji57] technically it is a Water Heater. No one heats water that is already hot, do they?

And DEF is not DEF FLUID... DEF is an acronym for Diesel Emission Fluid.

Saw a sign recently that said ATM Machine inside. ATM = automated teller machine.

Sorry, the ghost of my favorite English teacher must be visiting me again.

Paula

Reminds me of the old comic of a person sitting behind their work desk. Overhead is a sign reading "Department of Redundancy Department".

My pet peeve from my banking days is the number of times I hear about "safety deposit boxes". The are in safe, and thus are actually "safe deposit boxes".

Is it less a sin to hijack a thread after the OP has gotten their question answered? Probably not, I'll be quiet now.

rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 12:11 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
A mud dauber is a type of solitary wasp that builds a tube out of mud. It then stings and paralyzes caterpillars and puts them into the tube. It lays a single egg on the caterpillar. When the egg hatches, the larva uses the caterpillar for food, matures, metamorphoses into an adult, digs it's way out of the tube, and moves on. The problem is that the wasps are attracted to the scent of propane, and they build nests inside the water heater flue or the propane heater, causing combustion issues.

Mud bugs are a colloquialism for crayfish, a rather delicious and cpommon crustacean that tastes a lot like shrimp or lobster. Also called crawdads. They are a delicacy in the south. Boiled or steamed, with various spices, served in vast quantities. People suck the fat out of the bodies, and eat the tail meat, sorta like shrimp. Delicious when served with corn on the cob, sausage, and biscuits on the side. Yummy!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 01:11 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
RMKRUM - Thank you for the explanation/education. The interesting tidbit was their attraction to propane. Living in the high desert, I have minimal exposure to them vs. the typical desert creatures. I dont even know if they can exist year round in the desert. But learning what they do, will order the suggested heater screens
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 01:30 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
RMKRUM - Thank you for the explanation/education. The interesting tidbit was their attraction to propane. Living in the high desert, I have minimal exposure to them vs. the typical desert creatures. I dont even know if they can exist year round in the desert. But learning what they do, will order the suggested heater screens
The typical paper nest building wasps also seem to be attracted to propane. Something about the Methyl Mercaptan that is used for gas odorant--also the main ingredient in skunk smell. The mud daubers can be spotted because they hover around puddles as they gather mud for their nests. They also sting like hell, and more than once--if you are allergic, they can be life threatening.

I also live in the high desert, and one of the wildlife issues I also see is Mojave Ground Squirrels. The little buggers are protected, so all you can do is put up with them--they tend to eat all manner of stuff, including our grapes...

I've had to carefully plug up any openings in the trailer belly pan and around the house to keep them out.

I'm a computer nerd, but have a lot of fun with biology as well. We try to encourage lizards around our house, to keep the bigger bugs down.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote