Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2016, 11:23 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Lenoir City , Tennessee
Hose Storage

I tried to search this question but have not been successful in my search.

I have a 2016 AI extended twin bed model. Yes, there is space between the ends of the bed and the back doors, however, coming up with a way to neatly store the water hose and electrical cord has been tricky.

For a while we simply coiled them up and laid them back there. Then, realizing that we were getting the area too dirty too often we started coiling them up and slipping them into wet bags (the ones we would use while canoeing). However, those bags started developing mildew and we want to go back to just hanging/storing them somehow.

I've looked at a number of Command products because I already use those all over the AI and really like that they don't cause permanent holes. But, the ones I've found really don't have enough of a hook to be useful.

How do you store the hose and cord in a twin bed unit?
WBCCI - #4335
2005 Diesel Excursion
2008 31' Custom Classic "Moonshine"
2016 Interstate "BugOut"
kfrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Bellevue , Washington
I have the same question about the shore power. For water hoses, I got a plastic bin that they fit in, and importantly, the plastic bin fits behind the beds by the rear door. Many times the hoses have had water in them that has collected in the plastic container and would have made an awful mess otherwise. I simply empty the water when I see it in there.

The shore power i just throw in there and love to know a better system. This is one unwieldy cable!
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Advanced RV and Roadtrek provide an optional headboard behind which you can hang things like this. Perhaps you can make one?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 01:48 PM   #4
J&J In A Can

Cottonwood , Arizona
I did two things on mine. First I made a wood tray that fits all the way across between the beds and the doors. It has arms that stick up along the end of the beds that things can hang on, or be velcroed to. Two of the arms also support those arm things that flip down (and break off since they are screwed into the edge of the plywood). The second thing I do is screw the ends of the coiled hose together so the water stays in the hose instead of running all over the floor. Just run a little fresh water through it before you hook it to your rig when you use it, and empty it when you get home.
Old 11-14-2016, 02:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Hi,

In addition to Love to Wander's suggestion of coupling the hose ends together, I have found the bags below to be very useful.

Bucket Boss 69000 Cable Bag (not the jumper cable bag - smaller). Amazon sells them. They work fantastically and a bag will hold a 30 foot power cable or 25+ foot hose when 'trained'.

We use these in our AI. So far we have 5 and this is what we use them for:
1. 30 foot power cable (put the ends in the center of the ring)
2. 25 foot water hose
3. Spare 25 foot water hose (potentially could fit in bag (2) or at least a shorter section
4. Cable TV coax, power adapters, EMS
5. Dyson D44 vacuum cleaner and attachments (without the long extension of course).

We couldn't be happier with these!

They, or similar bags, come in several sizes, colors and shapes. They definitely hold the dirt, leaves, etc in the bag. They are not water proof, but are certainly water resistant to a level. If the to be contents are really wet or dirty, I wipe them down before putting in the bag. We have the sofa model and store them under the couch and the vacuum cleaner bag goes under one of the side benches.

On the outside, I have a luggage tag to identify contents of each. They have handles and an outside pocket.

Hope this helps,
Katy
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 02:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
If you coil the hose and put the ends together they won't leak.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 03:15 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsbunny View Post
Bucket Boss 69000 Cable Bag (not the jumper cable bag - smaller). Amazon sells them. They work fantastically and a bag will hold a 30 foot power cable or 25+ foot hose when 'trained'.
Thank you so much. I just ordered one for the power cable.

I will continue to use the plastic container for water hose as I like it to aerate and dry.
Old 11-14-2016, 03:29 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
I forgot to mention it above, but before I couple the ends of the hose, I uncoil the hose and hold one end higher as I roll so that most of the water drains. The lower end is not on the ground but on a picnic table seat or similar height object. There is no more than an ounce of water remaining when the ends are mated.

Katy
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 03:42 PM   #9
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
I use giant ziplocs for all this stuff. Keeps em coiled, prevents compartment from getting dirty, and I leave the bag unzipped to aerate. Rigid containers are harder to pack, and the ziplocs are easy to clean.

Fabric gardening gloves can be worn while cooking a dirty or wet cable to clean it off (more or less :-) as you take it in.

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 04:12 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I cut off a 5 gallon bucket to fit in the under-deck storage bin. Tightly coil the hose inside the bucket and put an extra quart of oil in the middle of the coil. I leave the electrical cable on the floor in the back. We don't use it much and don't have a problem with dirt.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 04:27 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsbunny View Post
I forgot to mention it above, but before I couple the ends of the hose, I uncoil the hose and hold one end higher as I roll so that most of the water drains. The lower end is not on the ground but on a picnic table seat or similar height object. There is no more than an ounce of water remaining when the ends are mated.

Katy
Thanks Katy. I do that too but the addition of a water filter made it impossible to get all the water out in any reasonable amount of time while making sure neither end falls on the ground.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:03 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Being an old crafter, I sewed custom canvas-y fabric bags for our lines, envelope-style bags with velcro closures. The fabric breathes which allows the lines to dry out and thus not mildew. The bags also contain any dirt adhered to the lines and can be tossed into the washing machine periodically to clean them up.

Cost was around two dollars plus a couple of hours of DIY labor of love. I've been quite satisfied with this solution. Simple but effective. Here's a pic below, and sewing instructions are in the blog post.

SHORE LINE STORAGE FOR THE AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151105_REARDOORENVELOPES.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	275502  
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:23 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
New Orleans , Louisiana
I use and recommend this power cord organizer.
NOLA_russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:50 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lenoir City , Tennessee
I wish our AI had the large storage bin in the door like Interblog has. But, alas, we do not. Also, neither my husband nor I are crafty; I admire those of you can create your own solutions.
I ordered two of the Bucket Boss AB30070. Thanks to those of you who sent me that direction.
WBCCI - #4335
2005 Diesel Excursion
2016 Interstate "BugOut"
Old 01-20-2017, 03:55 PM   #15
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I have used one of the coiled water hoses for years. The hose has a slick surface and stays cleaner than most other hoses. I just screw the ends together after draining the hose and run some water through the next time it is used; this also gets the air out and keeps the faucets from spitting at me. . It is easy to drain because it recoils itself and can be easily held off the ground.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:54 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lenoir City , Tennessee
After trying many options we tried the x-large ziplock bags over the course of two trips - wonderful and cheap! Thanks for that suggestion!
WBCCI - #4335
2005 Diesel Excursion
2016 Interstate "BugOut"
Old 01-22-2017, 05:23 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Bellevue , Washington
FYI I bought the bag suggested earlier and while rather tight fit, it works a lot better than leaving it loose! So thanks for that.

As far as spiral hoses, I have used them on boats and they can be difficult to ring out all the water out of them. Then again, I like the idea of connecting them end to end so I might try that too.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:45 PM   #18
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post
As far as spiral hoses, I have used them on boats and they can be difficult to ring out all the water out of them. Then again, I like the idea of connecting them end to end so I might try that too.
I just hold one end at head level until it stops dripping out of the bottom. The bottom of my 25' spiral hose is at about waist level.

In the trailer, I joined the ends to store the hose. In the Interstate, I use plastic end caps since the hose packs better when straight. No drips.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:55 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I coil up the h2o hose and fasten the ends together and put in plastic bag. I than store it on top of the LP tanks and fasten the cover. I also store the power cord there.
Mike
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote