Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-13-2019, 12:51 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Homelink 3-button Built-in Remote Control in AI

Homelink 3-button Built-in Remote Control in AI

Searched if anyone has done this to their AI but have not found any. So posting my plan. I just ordered/received the above Homelink 3-button Built-in Remote Control to control our front gate, daughter's front gate, and our garage door. My plan is to install either in the sunvisor or in the headliner above it or above the center dome light assembly. Will install after our trip and decide final location then.

I have had the Homelink option in every car I have bought since 2001, so I miss not having it in the AI. Not a fan of gate/garage door openers left 'hot' inside the cars because they are always powered and an opportunistic car break-in could turn easily into a home burglary/invasion. With this wired version to ignition, it would take some time & doing for them to figure out. Granted not impossible, but still much safer. But the biggest thing for us is convenience - 3 bulky clip-on remotes now consolidated into a built-in location.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	518OMxaDltL.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	352076   Click image for larger version

Name:	Homelink.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	352077  

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	352078   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (1).jpg
Views:	42
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	352079  

Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 06:28 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
I installed this kit in our Chevy Bolt. I wired it so it would not be hot with the ignition off. Measure twice, cut once!
Mcrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 09:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcrider View Post
I installed this kit in our Chevy Bolt. I wired it so it would not be hot with the ignition off. Measure twice, cut once!
MCRIDER - weird you mention the Chevy Bolt, coz we bought my folks a Chevy Trax for their anniversary and thought it was the only Chevy that did not have the Homelink (or at least the list looked like all other Chevy's have the Homelink except Trax).
Old 09-14-2019, 11:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
When we built our home, I had the garage door openers wired to a switch near the exit into the garage. Every night, and when we will be gone for a time, we turn the switch off.

With today’s technology an Alexa smart plug could do the job.

Oh, and I discovered that the Homelink in my Ram 2500 works with the igntion off.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 06:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
Oh, and I discovered that the Homelink in my Ram 2500 works with the igntion off.

Al
AlANDMISSY - it shouldn't if it a recent one. But I remember a few we had in early 2000-2004 (Ford F150 & Chrysler Town Country) had them wired hot. So I changed them promptly to IGN.