Old 12-18-2018, 08:19 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Washington DC , Washington, D.C.
HipCamp

Thought I would share what has been the best find for me so far in overnighting around the US in my AI.

I stumbled on HipCamp looking for alternative places to stay that are more unique, remote, and escape the throngs at full service KOA type places. I can't be happier thus far with it becoming my first go-to when searching out a spot for a night or two.

Thus far I have overnighted in vineyards, on a bluff overlooking the Pacific, in a wooded creek side setting just 20 minutes from downtown Seattle and various other farms, properties, and cool spots.

All of these locations are privately owned. Some you might find the owners house on it. Others might be working ranches, farms, etc. Many are simply properties owned by a person and never developed making it an almost wilderness experience depending on where you are. The average cost is around $20-$40 a night (some can be pricier if ocean view/access etc). No, there are rarely hookups but most will provide water, etc to fill tanks. A few have even built outdoor showers for you to use.

What makes it especially fitting for AI owners is that many of these locations are very very sketch for a larger RV. For the AI though it opens a lot of doors to spots which it can get down (like a dirt road) and tuck in.

I can't suggest it enough for everyone and thought, given the perfect balance of the AI's abilities and HipCamp's nice fit for us, to start this thread where I and others can suggest some good spots around the country. I will add my favs here so far over the next few days in hopes that I can also hear from others of any locations they enjoyed.

eyechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 08:27 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

https://www.hipcamp.com/california/wagmore/camp-wagmore

This is my favorite HipCamp so far. Right off HWY 1 in Cali just 20 minutes from San Luis Obispo. great spot when heading up the coast.

Totally remote feeling yet just 2 miles off the Hwy. It's a tight dirt road to access the spots to park (three of them I believe which are spread out). Go slow and appreciate the AI's ability to get into these places where others can't.

A beautiful trail will also lead you on a short hike to a bluff overlooking the ocean.

It's quiet, peaceful and close to everything in the San Luis Obispo area including wineries, ocean, etc.

Old 12-18-2018, 10:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Thanks for this - very interesting. Sort of like Airbnb for camp sites (in Nova Scotia, some folks put their dry camp sites on Airbnb for similar prices - about $15/nite).

Edit: I should perhaps note that one of my tiniest bucket list goals is never to have to boondock at the Staunton VA Cracker Barrel ever again (my least favorite in the country). There's a mushroom farm not far from Harrisonburg that looks interesting...

:-)
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 01:02 PM   #4
kpm
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Mound , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyechip View Post
Thought I would share what has been the best find for me so far in overnighting around the US in my AI.
[...]
What makes it especially fitting for AI owners is that many of these locations are very very sketch for a larger RV. For the AI though it opens a lot of doors to spots which it can get down (like a dirt road) and tuck in.

I can't suggest it enough for everyone and thought, given the perfect balance of the AI's abilities and HipCamp's nice fit for us, to start this thread where I and others can suggest some good spots around the country. I will add my favs here so far over the next few days in hopes that I can also hear from others of any locations they enjoyed.
This looks like a great site! Thanks eyechip.

As you say, lots of tent and small MH sites but those of us with bumper pulls aren't completely left out. It looks like they also have listings for local and state parks too.
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 01:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks for the heads up.

FYI Harvest Hosts is similar:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ts-186675.html
https://www.google.com/search?q=Harv...=airforums.com

The HipCamp FAQ:

https://hipcamp.helpscoutdocs.com/

The Host standards don't contain much about RV MH's vs. trailers, so it appears that each host has to tailor his or her listing on this IMO:

https://www.hipcamp.com/hoststandards

Thanks again for the heads up.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 02:50 PM   #6
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyechip View Post
https://www.hipcamp.com/california/wagmore/camp-wagmore

This is my favorite HipCamp so far. Right off HWY 1 in Cali just 20 minutes from San Luis Obispo. great spot when heading up the coast.

Totally remote feeling yet just 2 miles off the Hwy. It's a tight dirt road to access the spots to park (three of them I believe which are spread out). Go slow and appreciate the AI's ability to get into these places where others can't.

A beautiful trail will also lead you on a short hike to a bluff overlooking the ocean.

It's quiet, peaceful and close to everything in the San Luis Obispo area including wineries, ocean, etc.
EYECHIP - Good stuff. This is in my general weekly/monthly travel zone, so worth checking. The "tight, dirt road" scares me though, only because I do not have 4WD. I have been on many gravel fire roads leading to lots of NV State Park campgrounds. NV has amazing remote campgrounds that have full hookups, so I have been spoiled.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 03:56 PM   #7
kpm
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Mound , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Thanks for the heads up.

[...]

The Host standards don't contain much about RV MH's vs. trailers, so it appears that each host has to tailor his or her listing on this IMO:

Peter
I sent a the following query regarding rig size to hipcamp support:
Hello,

Just found your cool site!

I have a bumper-pull trailer pulled by a truck. When there is a figure given under ‘RV details max length’ does that refer to (1) the trailer length box without A-frame, or (2) the trailer length ball-to-rear bumper, or (3) the whole trailer-tow vehicle combo.

Thanks!

Here is the response:
Carlos here from the Hipcamp team. Thanks for reaching out! Our RV feature was designed to accommodate the whole trailer-tow vehicle combo. The best way to know for sure is to message the Host directly. If you go to a listing, you'll see in the listing description green font that says "Have a question?" clicking here will allow you to send a direct message to the Host.

I hope this helps!

Additionally, here' s some useful information I like to share with everyone:
  • Be sure to check out our FAQs here (we're always updating them!).
  • You can also check out our blog, the Hipcamp Journal, for some awesome resources.
  • Have you heard about our referral program? Every person you invite to Hipcamp will get $10 in Hipcash when they create a new account, and you will get $10 in Hipcash when they go on their first trip. If you refer someone who ends up becoming a Host, you will get *$100 in cash* after they host their first booking! Get rewarded by sharing the word about Hipcamp with your community
  • We love hearing from our community about what works and what could be better. Definitely check out our new transparent product roadmap where you can see what features we are working on, vote on changes, and submit new ideas. I bet other community members would love to weigh in on your ideas and vote for them, which will really help us prioritize changes!
And, of course, if you need any additional help and would like to connect by phone, let me know here! We're always a phone call away

Best,

Carlos
So the best way to know if a trailer will actually fit in a site is to message the host. If unhitching I imagine it would be the trailer length, not the whole combo length that applies, though someone would have to ask the host at each site.
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 04:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks kpm.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 04:22 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

@KPM. Nice one. I should add that I have found the hosts to ALWAYS be super responsive. Often texting back in a minute or two with any questions. My oft one is "does your location have ATT cell coverage?"

Not sure how Hipcamp does it but they seem to have really vetted out their hosts well and trained them in being superbly engaging. So in regards to their suggestion, yeah...I bet any of the locations will give you a quick and accurate response.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:26 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
EYECHIP - Good stuff. This is in my general weekly/monthly travel zone, so worth checking. The "tight, dirt road" scares me though, only because I do not have 4WD. I have been on many gravel fire roads leading to lots of NV State Park campgrounds. NV has amazing remote campgrounds that have full hookups, so I have been spoiled.
My suggestion on this HipCamp is to text them ahead and have them hold the closer in spot that is usually reserved for larger RV's. It's a bit less "in the woods" but avoids the worst of the dirt road. When I arrived it was taken (by a tent!!) so I braved the push in. Yes, my 4WD was more adept but the main issue was really the branches for which I had to get out, look, and nav around a few times. Not a big deal, really.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:32 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Thanks for the heads up.

FYI Harvest Hosts is similar:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ts-186675.html
https://www.google.com/search?q=Harv...=airforums.com

The HipCamp FAQ:

https://hipcamp.helpscoutdocs.com/

Peter
I also am a member of Harvest Host but surprisingly have not used them as of yet. The few times I saw one nearby where I needed to park for the night it was mostly just a parking lot behind a farmers market or small local shop. Which is fine, but why I love HipCamp is that they tend to be more unique spots on some sprawling ranch or property that really gets you out and away from the dust and diesel while still keeping you fairly close to access points and roads.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:42 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Since I am seeing some interest in these I will post another one I enjoyed.
https://www.hipcamp.com/california/p...ch-winery-camp

It's close to Paso Robles in Cali and is a working winery with amazing hosts. While not "in the woods" it is basically the back field of their estate with the vineyard as your view and trail around. This one is easy accessible for most rigs and a breeze for an AI. Also, the hosts have built up some special features (why the price is a bit steeper) including a bathroom, showers, and grill.

You can even add in a wine tasting at their shop a few miles away. While it's inland it is still accessible to the coast and only (I recall) around 30-40 minutes from San Simeon.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:39 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Saint Louis , Missouri
Thanks for the resource. I did a quick search and most of these places are pretty pricey for having no hookups. I guess your really paying for the privacy and some unique location amenities/scenery. Only 4 sites near me for $25 and many over $50 and up to $225.
CharlieOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:18 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieOscar View Post
Thanks for the resource. I did a quick search and most of these places are pretty pricey for having no hookups. I guess your really paying for the privacy and some unique location amenities/scenery. Only 4 sites near me for $25 and many over $50 and up to $225.
Yes. Personally I've been encouraging individual off-grid sites in particular to charge high prices for off-gridding in order to push the supply and demand curve in the direction of privacy. Otherwise it devolves into just another glorified parking spot with drunk buggers blasting nasty music all night long. I can get that at Walmart. I HAVE gotten that at Walmart.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote