Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-28-2014, 07:57 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2023 20' Caravel
Maple Valley , Washington
Help understanding the power system on our new Interstate

We are new to this and have read the information provided, but are still trying to figure out the power system. Hooking up to power is easy and works great. When we are on the road, we want batteries to run the fridge and lights, and that seems fine too. When we return home and want to shut it all down, so we don't drain the coach batteries, I was told to hit the kill switch by the door. 24 hours later the fridge was still running, so we used the red switch under the sofa.

Any clarification,in terms a newbie can understand, would be great! We love our rig and look forward to many new adventures!
Semmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:10 PM   #2
BikerBill

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
Lets start with what year is your unit? Best to add it to your signature. Are you plugging into shore power when you are home? If so the fridge is then running on 115volts. Also to turn off the fridge completely you must rotate the temperature switch inside to the OFF position. It will need to be turned past the normal stop but be careful you are not breaking it when you rotate it. Also, the Master Switch at the doorway SHOULD have operated the red switch that you eventually turned off, depending on the year of your unit.

Welcome to Airstream Interstate and ask away. There are plenty of us out her to help with advice and answers.
Bikerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:03 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semmons View Post
24 hours later the fridge was still running, so we used the red switch under the sofa.
The first thing to remember is that turning off the 12vDC system doesn't turn off the 120vAC system. If your inverter/charger is on (Magnum models are hard to turn completely off because you can't access the switch easily) then you need to also turn off your 120vAC breakers on the panel under the rear sofa. Otherwise everything that uses 120vAC that can be powered from the inverter (pretty much everything but the air conditioner and the microwave) can continue to drain your batteries.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:12 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semmons View Post
We are new to this and have read the information provided, but are still trying to figure out the power system. I was told to hit the kill switch by the door. 24 hours later the fridge was still running, so we used the red switch under the sofa.

Any clarification, in terms a newbie can understand, would be great! We love our rig and look forward to many new adventures!
Did you also manually turn off the frig, on the appliance, and the propane? I think the battery function for the frig is to light it and for the the indicator light, it then runs on propane if not plugged into electricity.....someone will correct me if I've got that wrong.

If you don't turn the frig and the propane to off, I think it will continue to run.

We turn it all off when we come home, wipe out the frig and freezer, and prop with the door open so mildew does not develop inside.

Maggie
Old 05-29-2014, 03:36 PM   #5

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Did you also manually turn off the frig, on the appliance, and the propane? I think the battery function for the frig is to light it and for the the indicator light, it then runs on propane if not plugged into electricity.....someone will correct me if I've got that wrong.

If you don't turn the frig and the propane to off, I think it will continue to run.

We turn it all off when we come home, wipe out the frig and freezer, and prop with the door open so mildew does not develop inside.

Maggie
I completely forgot that older Interstates had propane-fueled refrigerators. I'm so used to discussing the newer Interstate's Nova Kool 12vDC/120vAC model that don't use propane at all.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:49 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Austin , Texas
I have a 2014.5 and the kill switch by the door shuts off my refrigerator. That's how I turned it off in the past until I found that you really have to turn the dial hard to shut it off. In fact, I see minimal drain if I turn that switch off and the solar panel alone keeps the batteries near 100%.
migriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:51 PM   #7

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by migriffin View Post
I have a 2014.5 and the kill switch by the door shuts off my refrigerator. That's how I turned it off in the past until I found that you really have to turn the dial hard to shut it off. In fact, I see minimal drain if I turn that switch off and the solar panel alone keeps the batteries near 100%.
I assume that you also have the breakers off to kill the 120vAC power to the fridge from the inverter…
Old 05-29-2014, 06:39 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2023 20' Caravel
It is a 2014 unit, and I thought the switch by the door would kill the power to the fridge and lights etc, but it seems that we also need to turn the know under the sofa if I am understanding correctly. That being said, do we need need to turn the knob in the fridge if the power is disconnected? It also sounds like the inverter kicks in automatically once we unplug from shore power?

Can't tell you how much I appreciate this group and the help I get from it!
Old 05-29-2014, 08:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
The switch by the door is simply a remote switch for the motorized (red) power switch under the rear sofa. You shouldn't have to touch that under normal circumstances unless the remote switch or the motor is bad. Just check if the cabin lights go off when you flick that switch.
Assuming you are not connected to shore power, then the only way the fridge can get power when the remote switch is off, is if the Magnum Control panel has the Inverter set to On. There's a green light to indicate the inverter is on. If it's on, press the On/Off control repeatedly until the light goes off.
Peter
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:39 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2023 20' Caravel
Thanks, I will check to see if the inverter light is one, that might explain it!
Old 05-31-2014, 06:48 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
N. Hollywood , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post

Maggie
The fridge we have in our 2005 AI runs on propane but still uses 12V to hold the solenoid open for the propane. It will also run on 120V from the generator or hook up.
mrcolin2u is offline   Reply With Quote