Old 11-01-2015, 04:28 PM   #15
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaag View Post
I am embarrassed to say I did not know there was a second battery under the drivers seat, which is apparently the main battery. This one was completely dead and as a result nothing worked. As soon as they replaced that battery everything went back to normal. Thanks to everyone for their help!
I didn't even think of that, because the battery under the driver's foot well is my only chassis battery. I don't have one under the hood at all.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:08 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaag View Post
I am embarrassed to say I did not know there was a second battery under the drivers seat, which is apparently the main battery. This one was completely dead and as a result nothing worked. As soon as they replaced that battery everything went back to normal. Thanks to everyone for their help!

Yes the battery in the engine compartment, if you have it, is an auxiliary battery and not connected to the vehicle system until after it is started. It will not start the Sprinter engine. It's strange that your main battery was dead. Was it sitting idle for a long time? The BIM is designed to also keep this main battery charged via solar or other charging sources like shore power and the LP generator. You might want to have your system checked to make sure it is working properly. Also if your main Sprinter battery is dead and you have fully charged house batteries your can use the boost button on the drivers lower dash, left side, to start the Sprinter.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter

Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:24 PM   #17

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
It's strange that your main battery was dead.
Not really. If the vehicle is NOT connected to a charging source (other than solar), the BIM is supposed to disconnect the two systems to prevent the house batteries from being dragged down with the chassis battery, or vice versa.

In my own case, the headlights do not turn themselves off after the ignition is shut off; I think that's a user setting, but I don't recall how to change it. Since I always tow my toad with the lights on for safety, I sometimes forget the headlights are on in broad daylight. And if I exit by means of the sliding side door rather than the driver's door, I don't get a "ding, ding, ding" reminder that the headlights are on. So there have been a couple of times I've returned to find the chassis battery stony dead and the house batteries still at 100%.

That's why 2013 models and later include the "boost" switch, to force a connection between chassis and house systems when the BIM normally wouldn't allow a connection.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 11-01-2015, 07:39 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I seem to have forgotten the purpose of the Aux battery under the hood in the later models. Since it can't be used to start, what is it's purpose? Can it be charged by anything besides the alternator?

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:54 PM   #19

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
I seem to have forgotten the purpose of the Aux battery under the hood in the later models. Since it can't be used to start, what is it's purpose? Can it be charged by anything besides the alternator?
It's optional Sprinter equipment, not installed by Airstream. It's normally used on commercial Sprinters such as ambulances and television news trucks as a "house" battery. As such, when Airstream installs house batteries at the rear, the auxiliary battery under the hood is redundant.
Airstream could hook up stuff like the awning and sliding step to the auxiliary battery so they don't draw off the starting battery, but they don't. So the auxiliary battery is pretty much dead weight, unless you install an aftermarket alarm system or something and hook it up to the auxiliary battery.

And because of the way it's wired through a relay, the auxiliary battery IS only charged by the alternator.

I suppose it's possible to remove the relay in order to provide a permanent connection between the starting battery and the auxiliary battery, thus giving you two starting batteries and doubling your cold cranking amps. Which could be handy in cold climates if you don't have indoor storage.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4