Old 10-20-2014, 06:07 PM   #1

Help Please ! First time RVer

Hello, I just bought interstate 2015 past weekend. When I tried to flip the "battery disconnect button" I do not see the different. I could turn the ceiling on regardless. I already turn off an inverter. The van did not hook up to the shoreline. Please advice. Should I be worried?

Old 10-20-2014, 07:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Welcome to the Air Forums.

Did you check the manual battery disconnect switch to ensure that it was being operated by the remote switch. I'm just guessing as mine doesn't have the remote switch, just the manual switch under the lounge. But when I turn mine off, it kills all of the 12V stuff.

Others here w/ the newer model can probably add more. Good luck and happy Airstreaming.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:52 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Sebastopol , California
When you say ceiling are you checking the ceiling light up front or the multiple ceiling lights in the house? The ceiling light in the cab is connected to the chassis battery. I have an older model and there is a discernable click when I push the remote switch on or off.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:50 PM   #4

It is multiple ceiling light.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:22 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchaiyas View Post
Hello, I just bought interstate 2015 past weekend. When I tried to flip the "battery disconnect button" I do not see the different. I could turn the ceiling on regardless. I already turn off an inverter. The van did not hook up to the shoreline. Please advice. Should I be worried?
As for the question "should I be worried?" the answer is, you're already worried or you wouldn't have asked. But you can stop worrying. As 73shark has stated, you may have to open up the panel under the sofa and switch off the hard way, like us older-model Interstate owners have to, but you CAN still disconnect the house system. I'd still look into getting the remote switch checked out and repaired/replaced if necessary, but it's the least-important device in the entire unit and the one you can most easily do without.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 12:16 PM   #6
AI owner since June 2013

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Lake Mary , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchaiyas View Post
I had the exact same issue with my 2014 Interstate. Went I took it in for warranty, the tech just switched the manual switch in the back to a slot that allows the upfront switch to work. From that point on, I could operate my disconnect just using the front rocker switch. If you can't determine how to do it, reply back and I will take a closer look at mine and send a pic.

As a side note, not using the disconnect for about 10 months caused my house batteries to drain down too often and they went bad shortly after such that they needed replaced, which lead to some degree of debate between me, the dealer and the battery manufacturer as to who was to blame. Consensus battery advice going forward by all parties was to plug into shore power every few weeks even if the disconnect is activated to keep the batteries from draining too low.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:20 PM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaBucki View Post
IConsensus battery advice going forward by all parties was to plug into shore power every few weeks even if the disconnect is activated to keep the batteries from draining too low.
You've got an on-board generator that needs to be exercised periodically as well. Combine the two tasks. As long as the house batteries still have enough power to start the generator, start it up and let it recharge the batteries. You'll not only keep your batteries in good order, but your generator as well.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:30 PM   #8

Thank you everybody. I am so pleased with my new Interstate. I look into you guys recommendation and let you know.