Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-10-2015, 01:44 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Help! Generator running but...

Oh man. Just got a 2014 AI last month and everything was going good until today. Generator turns on fine but will not distribute power. No AC no microwave, nothing will run off the gen now. At first I thought it was because the LPG was almost empty but after refilling it's still not powering anything. Even after running for 15 minutes. Checked breakers and fuses which seem to be fine. In the middle of a trip so it's a hard time to take it to get looked at. It's hot, hoping that it's something simple. Thanks!
Hammertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Do the Interstates have a master switch that could have been moved?
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 02:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
The generator has its own output circuit breaker.....behind a maintenance panel on the generator....under the van. Check there if all other fuses and breakers are good.
Old 09-10-2015, 02:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Right, remove the access panel (turn the single latch with a flathead screwdriver and lift up to remove) and then reach over the bottom edge of the opening to feel for the breaker which has a vertical orientation. Its a tad hard with one hand or the other, but you need to lay on your side to do this maneuver. Once you locate it, just flip it whichever way causes it to reset. The Onan runs with it tripped, but will not distribute power. Usually it will trip if you try too large a load on it before letting it warm up.
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 04:51 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Agree with all of the above, if that doesn't get it working then you may have a bad Automatic Transfer Switch. On my 2012 it's located in the very rear on driver side. It transfers shore or generator power to the coach, with the generator taking preference if both sources of power are available. I had a similar issue with my generator and it turned out to be this switch. It was under $100 to buy online and an easy DIY fix if you're out of warranty. Good Luck. JC

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Johnvabeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:41 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Southaven , Mississippi
Just make sure you are resetting the breaker. Dummy me, on a trip in the Blue Ridge parkway, overloaded the system and tripped the breaker. Crawled under and pushed what I thought was the breaker, started the gen still no power to any system. Once I got home and was able to see where the breaker was, determined I previously pushed the manual stop switch.
Dalwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:31 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Thanks everyone! I have learned a lot. It was in fact a bad transfer switch and then discovered a few other issues. You all got me in the right direction.
Hammertime is offline   Reply With Quote