Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2015, 10:32 PM   #61
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2012 Interstate Coach
Palo Alto , California
Smile What Happened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMT View Post
So what happened? How's the engine?
Because of advice from several AIers, I was able to get the repair covered by my Comprehensive General Liability Insurance and will only have to pay $250 deductible. Thanks for such great advice. Not only did it save money, but I also think my marriage! I feel so lucky to be a part of such a supportive group.
roadmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 04:58 AM   #62
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Insurance is good, the Airforums even better!
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 09:57 PM   #63
1 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
Fairmont , West Virginia
I purchased a used Interstate in Portland OR last week and drove it back east. In central South Dakota I accidently filled up with unleaded. I drove several miles before realizing. The Sprinter was hauled to Eddies in Fort Pierre SD. They dropped the tank and flushed the system. All was good on the remaining 1500 miles home.

Is there possible coverage for this under my comprehensive coverage?
DougWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 11:54 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougWV View Post
I purchased a used Interstate in Portland OR last week and drove it back east. In central South Dakota I accidently filled up with unleaded. I drove several miles before realizing. The Sprinter was hauled to Eddies in Fort Pierre SD. They dropped the tank and flushed the system. All was good on the remaining 1500 miles home.

Is there possible coverage for this under my comprehensive coverage?
Call your agent TOMORROW. It's likely your insurance will cover it BUT every policy has time limits and if you let even six weeks go past it may be too late to report it. You'll also have to have written proof showing how much you paid to have the work done. BTW - ALWAYS consider what your deductible is before you put in a claim. If you paid $1100 for the work and you have $1000 deductible - don't file - keep your rates low. I didn't get dinged too badly after my accident, but if I ever have another - yikes. Insurance is best used only for a major or total loss. Every claim FILED even if not paid because it's lower than the deductible does affect your rates.
If the bill was $3000 and the deductible was $250 - well that might be worth it. Check with your agent (if you have one) before you file any claim. Once it's official filed, it's on your record. A good local agent WILL give you money saving advice.

(I'm different than most policy holders - I have $1000 deductible, and REALLY increase the "limits of liability" with the premium savings. I'll cry when I pay $1000 if someone hits and skips, and I'll work very hard to never hurt anyone else - but a business owner I knew had an employee driving his van - and the kid who was drunk plowed into a small sports car and severely injured the wife - a doctor, and killed the husband - a lawyer. $6 million in damages "lost income" not punitive for pain and suffering. The business went bankrupt and the owner died of a heart attack 18 months later. )

We have company vehicles, and wow, we try to be super careful about who uses them. Got one ugly surprise early in our career. We found a female employee going partying with fellow employees in ours. My partner and I found what club they were at, and "stole" the car and hid it. The absolutely falling down drunk employees came out of the club and lost their minds! The following morning we had a meeting and a couple of people ended up with their jobs hanging by a thread, demoted (because they wouldn't be able to do delivery work) and NO access to a car even if theirs was in the shop. I still shudder to think of the damage that driver could have done to our business.

NOW PARENTS, think about how responsible your kids REALLY are - and do you have them on YOUR policy to save money? Got one with three speeding tickets? Pull the insurance, and chain the vehicle to a tree until the brat gets his/her own coverage. You love your kids, but if they really are "adult-children" protect yourself from a retirement that includes living in a garage.

Well there's the good, the bad and the ugly about insurance - good luck whichever path you choose.

Paula
Old 11-28-2015, 05:02 AM   #65
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
The voice of experience, thanks, well said.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 01:41 PM   #66
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2012 Interstate Coach
Palo Alto , California
You should check with your insurance agent ASAP. I was the originally poster of putting E-85 into my diesel AI. Per another Airforums member advice to check for insurance coverage, and I was! All I needed paying was the $250 premium and insurance picked up the rest of the $1700 repair bill. Word of advice: Always check Airforums when you have a question or encounter a trouble. I literally went on the Airforums after calling roadside service while I was on the side of I-5. Airforumers are the best. So helpful.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
roadmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 05:31 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmama View Post
...Word of advice: Always check Airforums when you have a question or encounter a trouble. I literally went on the Airforums after calling roadside service while I was on the side of I-5. ....
Or Sprinter Forum, depending on your situation (some folks have the same username on each). I did that when our Interstate threw its first code. Sat there at the side of the road in the driver's seat on the forum looking for answers. Found them (insert fist-pump meme here).
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote