Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2015, 07:05 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I have almost done the same thing a couple of times. I have become a little paranoid about it and now smell the fuel nozzle before putting it in the truck. The smell of diesel is very distinctive. Doing this makes me pay more attention to what I'm doing.

Brian
A liver transplant is more expensive than an engine transplant...
WestieHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 10:22 AM   #42
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieHouse View Post
A liver transplant is more expensive than an engine transplant...
Diesel exhaust is more hazardous than diesel fumes from the pump, only partly because you're exposed to more of it. It's the combustion byproducts that do the most damage— one reason why so many diesel engines today require DEF.

It doesn't take more than a quick sniff of the pump nozzle to tell the difference. You don't even need a full breath of it. You're not going to inhale enough fumes to cause lung cancer or liver cancer or any other kind even if you live to a ripe old age and never refuel anything but diesel tow vehicles.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:03 PM   #43
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dabeach View Post
I always sniff the nozzle before pumping diesel in my truck or my boat.
I always sniff the gas nozzle, too. Makes the whole gas fillip experience a new trip.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 02:19 PM   #44
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Just put a match to the nozzle before filling up. If it explodes in flame, it's gasoline. If not, it's diesel. Works every time.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 02:36 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I get your humor, but I know a guy who lit a lighter to see how much fuel was in a diesel tank....

Diesel liquid can be kinda hard to light, but contained and concentrated vapor is quite flammable indeed.

He spent several weeks in a burn ward.

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:43 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
It's really not that hard to read what the sign on the pump says
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:52 AM   #47
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
I was beginning to think I was the only one thinkin' the same thing.
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:04 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
Yes, but reading is not as sensuous an experience as smelling (or tasting?). Doctor's Review | Liquid Gold
And while there is higher risk of harmful health effects with gasoline versus diesel, you presumably would sniff gasoline some fraction of the time, otherwise what is the purposes of the sniff test? Summary of toxic effects can be seen here. http://toxtown.nlm.nih.gov/text_vers...cals.php?id=15
Literacy is a wonderful capability.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:18 AM   #49
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieHouse View Post
And while there is higher risk of harmful health effects with gasoline versus diesel, you presumably would sniff gasoline some fraction of the time, otherwise what is the purposes of the sniff test? Summary of toxic effects can be seen here. Tox Town - Gasoline - Toxic chemicals and environmental health risks where you live and work - Text Version
Literacy is a wonderful capability.
I reject that list of toxic effects. While it may be accurate, it does NOT identify how much you must be exposed to or over how much time you must be exposed in order to be at risk of those effects. The list is designed to inspire fear in consumers by implying that any exposure puts you at risk, which is not true.

Referring to published Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) for diesel fuel— which is what firemen, tractor-trailer drivers, refinery workers, and other professionals who may be exposed to diesel refer to— yields this information:

ACGIH— the American Council of Government Industrial Hygienists— lists 100mg/m³ of diesel vapors in air as the TWA exposure limit. That translates to about 120 parts per million in the air when you consider the specific gravity of diesel. And ACGIH is the only scientific group that has even published limits for exposure to diesel vapors. Others such as NIOSH and OSHA have published exposure limits for diesel exhaust, but not unburned diesel vapor. Which means they either accept ACGIH's published limits or they don't consider it hazardous enough to even bother studying the stuff to determine their own exposure limits.

That limit of 100mg/m³ is the time-weighted average (TWA) limit, meaning how much vapor you can be exposed to in eight hours a day if you work with the stuff. In other words, that's how much you can breathe for 8 hours a day for the rest of your life and not experience lasting harmful effects or require respiratory protection to avoid those harmful effects.

Assume that one sniff of the pump takes one second. It takes 28,800 seconds to make up 8 hours. Do you really think that you'll sniff a diesel pump nozzle 28,800 times in your life? You'll have less than eight hours total exposure, nowhere near eight hours a day every day.

A quick sniff of the pump to confirm that you're pumping the right stuff into your tank will not hurt your health.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:27 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Perhaps a change to a familiar axiom would be the best path forward:

Read twice, pump once.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 06:32 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
For most people. My husband is a brilliant engineer but he is dyslexic. Sometimes if we both don't read things together, bad things happen.

People make mistakes. We have four vehicles. Only one of them is diesel. It's not that difficult to screw the fueling thing up.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 06:38 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Perhaps a change to a familiar axiom would be the best path forward:

Read twice, pump once.
Most gasoline pumps have 3 different buttons to push ,one for the 3 different grades of gasoline, the fuel nozzle is fuel only...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 06:43 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Most gasoline pumps have 3 different buttons to push ,one for the 3 different grades of gasoline, the fuel nozzle is fuel only...

This may be unique to CT but the pumps here (if they have diesel) have 2 hoses and 4 buttons. The hose with the green handle (usually) is diesel and the button is to the far left of the pump. The 3 grades of gasoline are connected to the hose with the black handle (usually). Both hoses are on the far extremes of the pump.

Since it's not 100% universal, I first have to remember whether I drove there in my diesel truck or gas car (honestly - that happens in my head!) and then read the labels twice before pumping.

I don't know why I get confused with this, maybe if I slowed down more - but so far so good with the double checking of labels.

Good luck to all who've had this problem.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 06:56 AM   #54
TMT
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmama View Post
I accidentally put E-5 instead of diesel into my 2012 AI. I was tired and the pump was a green color. So it didn't occur to me that it wasn't diesel. Tow operator says that if you had driven with the E-5 fuel, the Mercedes Sprinter will be ruined and cost a lot of money. It may even be totaled. Help!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
So what happened? How's the engine?

Life Is A Journey - Enjoy the Ride!
TMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 08:16 AM   #55
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
If you haven't started it, can't you just siphon the gas out, fill up with diesel and be on your way ?

It's diesel in your fuel line, does 1% gas residue in the next tank of diesel matter ?

You should siphon the gas onto the plants in the BP parking lot.
timhortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 08:50 AM   #56
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Why it wasn't their fault. Take responsibility for your actions and quit trying to blame someone else, you are not a victim here. Not referring to the op.
Old 11-14-2015, 10:06 AM   #57
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by timhortons View Post
You should siphon the gas onto the plants in the BP parking lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Why it wasn't their fault. Take responsibility for your actions and quit trying to blame someone else, you are not a victim here. Not referring to the op.
I think he was joking!

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 03:56 PM   #58
3 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Sebastopol , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by timhortons View Post
If you haven't started it, can't you just siphon the gas out, fill up with diesel and be on your way .
Yes, if you don't start it all you need to do is disconnect the fuel line, before the filter, and pump the tank dry through the fuel line. Refill with diesel and down the road you go. I did this to my Sprinter over 10,000 miles ago and have been more careful ever since.
Sebtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 04:56 PM   #59
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsonOverlander View Post
I think he was joking!
You think?
Old 11-14-2015, 05:59 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
If you don't wish you would have put gloves on, then you don't have the diesel nozzle.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote