Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2016, 07:22 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Weymouth , Massachusetts
Hello Everyone

I finally purchased a used 2014 Interstate EXT, have been debating in my own mind and with the other half. We have a couple other units but this EXT fits the need for certain events for us and we love it. I have been on and off this site gaining insight and it has been loads of help. Even though I have never joined till now, I feel as though I have gotten to know some of you, and thank you for taking the time to post your knowledge.
I had been looking for quite some time and found the perfect choice of used for us and it couldn't have gone any more smoothly. After trying to purchase a unit from other closer dealers,after days of emails,phone calls and paperwork things stalled each time. I took a chance and purchased our new unit with a phone call to a dealer 1500 miles away, not only did they make it painless but the owner delivered the EXT to my front door right outside Boston for less then what I was going to pay someone else. I own a small business with just 11 employees and sometimes it pays to do business with a family owned store.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	203
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	269923  
Autodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:31 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Taylor Ridge , Illinois
Welcome to to forum. I'm sure that you will love your new rig!
Kwils25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:32 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weymouth , Massachusetts
Hello

I can take more pics tomorrow, I posted couple pics from the dealer I had.
The unit is having clear shield installed on hood etc, tinting front windows and a good coat of wax. I think previous owner did nothing but enjoy knowing he was only using for a short time. She had a little over 17k when we got it about two weeks ago. I changed the oil before the trip and after and it looked like it had never been done. I fix vehicles for a living and 10k intervals or more are asking for trouble in my opinion, that is if I am allowed to have one here yet !!!
The day it was delivered we left for a five day trip to Ohio, it went very well but missed the space of our 34ft Endura!!! Fuel mileage was incredible compared to our gas rig.
Be back soon
and glad to finally be part of the community

dean
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	161
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	269924  
Old 08-24-2016, 08:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
The Interstate gets bigger once you learn what to pack, and just as importantly, what not to pack.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:36 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. May you have safe travels and many great Airstream Adventures with your new baby.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 05:45 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autodoc View Post
The day it was delivered we left for a five day trip to Ohio, it went very well but missed the space of our 34ft Endura!!! ...
Welcome to Air Forums!

It might help to further evaluate why you felt you missed space. Was it truly space that you missed, space for its own sake, or was any of that more accurately described as missing certain types of functionality?

Space cannot be altered but modifications to functionality can go a long way toward changing the feel of the Interstate. Ours has steadily gotten "bigger" over the past 2 years because we keep adding features and improving various aspects of its functionality.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 06:15 AM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
I fix vehicles for a living and 10k intervals or more are asking for trouble in my opinion, that is if I am allowed to have one here yet !!!
Everyone has opinions, and everyone has a right to voice them. And if they're informed opinions born of experience such as yours, they'll be welcomed even if we disagree with you.

I personally believe that there's nothing wrong with a 10k interval. Mercedes Benz uses only synthetic oil, which Consumer Reports allows should have a change interval roughly twice as long/far as for conventional motor oil.

But Consumer Reports also says that the recommended oil change interval in the owner's manual should be considered a maximum, and should be shortened if you drive under "severe" conditions— jackrabbit starts, high altitude, extreme heat*, and/or towing.

*That's extreme air temperatures, which in turn cause the engine to run a bit hotter because the radiator operates less efficiently as a heat exchanger when the air is already hot (also why altitude is a factor— thinner air doesn't take heat away from the radiator as quickly as denser air). If the engine overheats, an immediate oil change is called for, regardless of the miles since the last oil change. Engine oil can break down under extreme engine temperatures, and form a varnish that coats moving parts, making them sticky where they're supposed to be slippery.
Quote:
The day it was delivered we left for a five day trip to Ohio, it went very well but missed the space of our 34ft Endura!!!
"Missed" as in "noticed it was gone," or as in "was really inconvenienced by its lack"? It's a difference of degrees. In the first case, you can adjust to it in time. In the second case, not so much.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:28 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Congratulations on your new baby, and welcome.

Maggie
Old 08-25-2016, 06:51 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Southaven , Mississippi
Welcome to the forums. Hope you enjoy your Interstate.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:40 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
I changed the oil before the trip and after and it looked like it had never been done.
Welcome to the AirForums community.

One thing about diesel crankcase oil is that it turns black very quickly due to the larger amount of carbon in the fuel.

And MB just increased the change interval to 15,000 miles so I wouldn't worry too much about going 10,000. But if more frequent changes floats your boat . . .

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 05:38 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

I use Mobil 1 0W-40 synthetic oil with 16oz of Opti-Lube Oil Fortifier in our 2007 T1N Interstate and have it regularly tested by a certified testing lab, Blackstone Labs. An additional test checks for TBNs which indicates the amount of protective additive remaining in the sample. In my last test, the lab said I could safely extend the change interval from 10K to 12.5K miles. I will still shoot for 10K but won't stress if it goes to 11K.
Jbray333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:59 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
If I had a dime for all the advice I've received on oil changes . . . You should see the banter on this topic in my motorcycle groups.

Per the 2016 MB Sprinter Manual, "The on-board computer automatically shows the date for the next oil change as an event message in the display. Only by using engine oil . . . of the Mercedes-Benz Specifications . . ., can the maximum interval for oil change be achieved." I have over 17,000 miles on the factory first fill and I've read that the interval is 20,000 miles +/- depending on the on-board computer's assessment. It currently says service is required in 5,000 miles. The Euro6 Sprinter's interval is ~35K miles.

For my other vehicles I change once a year regardless of mileage. This can range as low as 2K (motorcycle) to 12 - 15K on an MDX. I have never had an engine failure or consumption issue. Vehicles range from 19 years old to 11 months.

I do use quality synthetics.
Mcrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:07 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weymouth , Massachusetts

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1472263568.630528.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	270087
A pic after front windows tinted this week
Old 08-27-2016, 09:33 PM   #14
Njg
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Columbia , Missouri
Did you tint the windshield as well? Did you use one of the IR inhibiting tints for heat exclusion? I'm on my first drive with the IR excluding tint on the front windows and wow what a difference!
Njg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 08:06 AM   #15
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Welcome aboard! RE: tint
I really need to tint the front windows, not so sure on windshield.

I drive a bunch overnight - any recommendations on the tint level? Is there state law restrictions? Am I better off just using the static cling like I do now so good visibility at night?

I've added reflective cutouts in all but rear side windows to cut down on heat, but the morning & evening sun while driving is a pain.

Mike
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 11:09 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njg View Post
Did you tint the windshield as well? Did you use one of the IR inhibiting tints for heat exclusion? I'm on my first drive with the IR excluding tint on the front windows and wow what a difference!

I've heard very good reports on the 3M Crystalline tint. The degree of tint is dependent on your state.

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1472404149.534121.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	289.7 KB
ID:	270201

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:19 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weymouth , Massachusetts
Hello again

Thank you for the Welcomes. Sorry for delay in reposting. I had taken some time to repost on my iPad and after several long posts getting deleted, I gave up for a bit along with life itself also getting in the way
I am now on my iPhone and hope for better luck
Old 10-12-2016, 08:39 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weymouth , Massachusetts
Update

After a few long trips(for us anyway) A week at a time, we are loving somethings but not all.
It is an adjustment but we love it and are always up for new challenges.
First challenge was a small annoyance of a creak/squeak that turned into an embarrassment when we had anyone actually drive in the van with us. After diagnosing the noise and subsequent repair our first annoyance has been resolved. I have attached couple pics(hopefully)
The bathroom wall seems to have maybe sagged and was contacting the seat frame wood support.
Took about three hours. Question for everyone......has anyone returned to airstream for warranty service for similar issues? Not sure if it is worth paying the $250 warranty transfer fee.
I can do most service myself and the closest dealer in believe is about 50 miles away
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1376.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	310.0 KB
ID:	273468   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1375.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	273469  

Name:	IMG_1380.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	272.8 KB
ID:	273470   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1379.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	360.0 KB
ID:	273471  

Old 10-12-2016, 09:04 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weymouth , Massachusetts
Tint reference

I went with 20%, kind of dark at night when it is raining, a little tough to use passenger side mirror at night for backing. I may add side lights!
We did the windshield with film inside to reduce heat and glare and put brow on outside as well. It is much cooler inside and much more private.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:28 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Temple City , California
Quote:
After a few long trips(for us anyway) A week at a time, we are loving somethings but not all.
It is an adjustment but we love it and are always up for new challenges.
First challenge was a small annoyance of a creak/squeak that turned into an embarrassment when we had anyone actually drive in the van with us. After diagnosing the noise and subsequent repair our first annoyance has been resolved. I have attached couple pics(hopefully)
The bathroom wall seems to have maybe sagged and was contacting the seat frame wood support.
Took about three hours. Question for everyone......has anyone returned to airstream for warranty service for similar issues? Not sure if it is worth paying the $250 warranty transfer fee.
I can do most service myself and the closest dealer in believe is about 50 miles away
I have that exact same squeak/crackling sound from that exact spot! I had my wife sit in the back as I drove down the road to find the noise. She narrowed it down to that exact spot, we just used a folded piece of paper to temporarily fix the noise. Was that panel hard to remove?
dapolrbear is offline   Reply With Quote