Old 07-10-2016, 11:01 AM   #1

Tustin , California
Have u sold ASI to dealer ?

I went to a dealer recently to disc them buying my used ASI. In the course of the disc he printed out a report showing NADA wholesale (what dealers expect to pay) and retail (what a private buyer would pay) values. I don't want to turn this into a debate abt accuracy of Nada bc other threads have covered that. What was interesting to me was the margins dealers expect on these. Basically the implicit profit margin they are expecting is 28% because the wholesale was $58k and retail was $74k -I.e. ($74-58)/58. It's actually worse than that for us owners because he says they usually try to buy at 20% below wholesale value, esp on trade ins Incidentally I noticed a dealer that is advertising new 2016 ASI for $120k range which suggests huge margins off msrp.

My question for those of you who have also had disc with dealers about buying your used ASI is what type of margins are they baking into their disc with you? What is their proposed price or trade in value versus what market value is? There are a lot of stereotypes about a "used car salesman" but just wanted to get the Interestate community feedback on this. I know if we don't like dealer buy prices there's always the CL and other sell it yourself options but there's a cost to dealing with the flakes out there in cyberspace.

Old 07-10-2016, 03:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I had one dealer offer about $63K and the MB dealer I bought from offered $45. I based my original asking price on the midpoint between NADA retail (private party) and wholesale. Most of my inquiries came from CL.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If you don't want to deal with the Flakes consider putting it up on consignment. I have sold 2 trailers that way. 10% is a lot less than $26,000.

The classified section here has a lot of traffic and a reduced number of Flakes

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:21 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bradenton , Florida
Dealers always try and pay under wholesale.. That way if it sits on their lot for too long and they have it on their floor plan (dealer line of credit) they get hit with a curtailment payment after 30 or 45 days..

If they don't sell it then they try and take it to auction and sell it to another dealer at wholesale, so if they paid under wholesale they might just break even after floor plan and auction fees..
Old 07-11-2016, 07:23 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
One possible factor in the decision of whether or not to take on the "flakes" yourself is what year and model of ASI do you have?

I'm no expert but I have watched the sales listings for about a year and a half now. Some Interstates seem to sell easier and faster than others, to the extent that I am able to infer activity as a third party watching the internet. A properly-priced T1N is a rare bird and will vanish quickly. A lounge model NCV3 not so much. There have been many of those on the market and people typically skulk around looking for a good deal if that's the model they want. On average, "twin" (ish) models of both vintages may sell faster than lounge models of either, because they appear to represent minority production runs. Only about one T1N rear sleeper (RS) comes onto the national market per year (its closest NCV3 analog is the EXT Twin). It's a classic supply and demand equation.
Old 07-12-2016, 05:47 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Las vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
One possible factor in the decision of whether or not to take on the "flakes" yourself is what year and model of ASI do you have?

I'm no expert but I have watched the sales listings for about a year and a half now. Some Interstates seem to sell easier and faster than others, to the extent that I am able to infer activity as a third party watching the internet. A properly-priced T1N is a rare bird and will vanish quickly. A lounge model NCV3 not so much. There have been many of those on the market and people typically skulk around looking for a good deal if that's the model they want. On average, "twin" (ish) models of both vintages may sell faster than lounge models of either, because they appear to represent minority production runs. Only about one T1N rear sleeper (RS) comes onto the national market per year (its closest NCV3 analog is the EXT Twin). It's a classic supply and demand equation.
Very insightful post. You're more expert than u give yourself credit for.

I wonder however if the demand is less a function of people wanting T1N model and more a function of seeking T1N prices. Used Interstates seems to depreciate at rate of $7-8k per year, but then a much bigger drop in between the 2009 to 2007 model years, which happens to be when T1N phased out. It's hard to say therefore whether higher demand is for T1N model or just for lower priced Interstates (I.e. Would those people who want T1Ns be just as happy if you offered them a NCV3 at the same price?). My $0.02.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:08 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgo View Post
Very insightful post. You're more expert than u give yourself credit for.

I wonder however if the demand is less a function of people wanting T1N model and more a function of seeking T1N prices. Used Interstates seems to depreciate at rate of $7-8k per year, but then a much bigger drop in between the 2009 to 2007 model years, which happens to be when T1N phased out. It's hard to say therefore whether higher demand is for T1N model or just for lower priced Interstates (I.e. Would those people who want T1Ns be just as happy if you offered them a NCV3 at the same price?). My $0.02.
Prices in adjacent model years (T1N vs. NCV3) appear to be converging faster than I would have predicted, and some of it may be based on buyer perception rather than any objective valuation criteria. A year and a half ago, there was a bigger jump than exists now, to the point where I can't always predict whether I'm looking at a T1N or an NCV3 based on price alone (e.g., if I'm just seeing a sales thumbnail with no detail). Occasionally there's a mint-condition T1N that's actually priced higher than some of the oldest NCV3s.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:20 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Barrie , Ontario
I was thinking of trading my 31' 1978 AS in on a newer 24' AS and the dealer only wanted to allow me $900.00 ,,,,,so I kept it and it's still working fine. Its better to put a few thousand into a good trailer then many thousands into a new one that will keep you going back to the dealer every time you tow it !
Old 07-14-2016, 11:35 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Here's an example of some of the crazy pricing that can happen with resales. I had to screengrab this one because I can't see it lasting and I thought people wouldn't believe it once the posting was taken down. A 2016 GT with 417 miles on it for $114,795... whaaatt??! If it were any other seller, I'd suspect a scam listing, but it's PPL and it appears to be legit. Some buyer is fixin' to get quite a deal, apparently.

I have no association with the sellers - just posting this for interest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160714_2016_GT.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	266780  
Old 07-14-2016, 01:21 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Heathrow , Florida
Quote:
Here's an example of some of the crazy pricing that can happen with resales. I had to screengrab this one because I can't see it lasting and I thought people wouldn't believe it once the posting was taken down. A 2016 GT with 417 miles on it for $114,795... whaaatt??! If it were any other seller, I'd suspect a scam listing, but it's PPL and it appears to be legit. Some buyer is fixin' to get quite a deal, apparently.

I have no association with the sellers - just posting this for interest.
You can buy a brand new from Airstream dealer right now in the low to mid 120's so sounds about right to me.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:32 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Yep, that 2016 may be a year old already.

The price seems about right to me as well.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:20 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
That surprises me... I know more about the range of T1N prices, but that thing is brand new. If that's the case, then I'd have to conclude that there are a fair number of over-priced NCV3s on the market. That's a price I often see asked for 3 year old Interstates.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:11 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Quote:
If that's the case, then I'd have to conclude that there are a fair number of over-priced NCV3s on the market.
IMO Ding Ding Winner
Old 07-14-2016, 04:45 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Las vegas , Nevada
Quote:
That surprises me... I know more about the range of T1N prices, but that thing is brand new. If that's the case, then I'd have to conclude that there are a fair number of over-priced NCV3s on the market. That's a price I often see asked for 3 year old Interstates.
Your conclusion is spot on - many NCV3s are overpriced with a 25% off sale on new 2016s. Within the past 4-6 weeks, dealers have been aggressively marking down new and used Interstates. I too have seen them in low to mid $120k for new EXT 2016 version. Sometime after 2012 model the msrp went up from $120ks to $160ks without much additional features so Thor and its dealer network were just taking the opportunity to pad its margins. And so now they have plenty of room to cut price to make room for the 2017 models. With the new 2016s being advertised for 25% off msrp now, you are going to see trickle down effect in the used market as well for all model years, not just recent model years. It always just takes sellers some time to accept this new reality and try to get ahead of the wave.