Old 07-15-2016, 07:32 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Both my husband and I would have expected a new 2016 GT to be higher just on the basics of supply and demand, even with end-of-season price-cutting, for the simple reason that GTs are difficult to come by in greater Houston. No dealer has ever told me that they were expecting any in - they say they can't get them because they're just not available (I've asked multiple times because I'd like to take a peek). I've heard stories about Houstonians going all over the country for them. A few weeks ago, Forum member Galveston Girl went to New Braunfels for one (I think that one was a GT). I've no doubt that some Houstonians get them some of the time, but clearly there's been a supply issue. Maybe the mobility (the fact that people often travel to get them) nullifies that effect.

Old 07-16-2016, 03:22 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Las vegas , Nevada
@interblog. I think what you are experiencing is the inefficiencies of a niche market. There just isn't a lot of new supply because demand in a niche market like this is also pretty low. For example top dealers on west coast sell 15 units a year (I suspect it's higher in East coast). So getting exactly what you want, where you want can be a challenge esp at end of model year. The supply of used is much higher bc a lot of folks buy these and after a trip or two realize it was a mistake and RV life isn't for them. Demand for used slightly better if pricing is aggressive enough but probably not enough to soak up all the additional supply.

If you're looking, 2016 GT are in stock in Las Vegas last I checked. I suspect if you brought them an ad from TN (which may not have GT in stock but showed a 2016 new priced under in $120k range) you'd get a very good deal on the GT you want. Maybe you have to pay shipping or drive it 16 hours home and hopefully you don't gamble away all your savings before you get home !

I can give you details and phone numbers if you are interested. I have no affiliation with any of these parties and don't have a dog in this fight. Just have done some research so feel confident I know the market reasonably well and happy to share this if it helps.

Old 07-16-2016, 06:57 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
San Diego , California
Just sold our 2013 AI extended lounge. Sold it on a fixed price agreed upon consignment. i.e., we agreed on a price, and the dealer would keep anything they got above that price.

It took just over 3 months for them to sell it. The amount we got was just under what the NADA guide calls "low retail." I don't know how much they sold it for, and they will not tell us.

We'd tried to sell it on our own, with no luck. Not just no luck, but, no bites at all. So, decided to go this route.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:19 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
Just sold our 2013 AI extended lounge. Sold it on a fixed price agreed upon consignment. i.e., we agreed on a price, and the dealer would keep anything they got above that price.

It took just over 3 months for them to sell it. The amount we got was just under what the NADA guide calls "low retail." I don't know how much they sold it for, and they will not tell us.

We'd tried to sell it on our own, with no luck. Not just no luck, but, no bites at all. So, decided to go this route.
Since average retail was a little north of six figures, they probably got somewhere around $90K.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
73shark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:36 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:

Curious to know whether it was an early or late (Magnum equipped) 2013, and whether it had any attractive upgrades such as additional batteries and solar.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 07-16-2016, 08:05 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
Curious to know whether it was an early or late (Magnum equipped) 2013, and whether it had any attractive upgrades such as additional batteries and solar.

I believe it was built in May 2013. It was Magnum equipped. In addition, we had Lew upgrade our whole system to 200w...upgraded wiring, etc, 2 6v Lifeline golf cart batteries. We had upgraded to Koni shocks, added a TPMS system. It didn't seem to matter. Was difficult to sell it.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:06 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Since average retail was a little north of six figures, they probably got somewhere around $90K.
If i had to venture a guess, that's about what I would guess.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:06 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
I believe it was built in May 2013. It was Magnum equipped. In addition, we had Lew upgrade our whole system to 200w...upgraded wiring, etc, 2 6v Lifeline golf cart batteries. We had upgraded to Koni shocks, added a TPMS system. It didn't seem to matter. Was difficult to sell it.

Wow, would have thought those enhancements would have made it easier to sell.

Old 07-17-2016, 01:37 AM   #23

Tustin , California
Quote:
If i had to venture a guess, that's about what I would guess.
I wrote a longer more elaborate reply but I ran into a technical glitch and it didn't post when I hit submit. in short, I think if u tried to sell urself and got nowhere u did the right thing which is to accept that true market value for these things used isn't what we want it to be. Dealer didn't make a lot for 3 mos of work either. There just aren't a lot of buyers for used (esp off warranty). Doesn't help that they're cutting prices on new 2016s. Tell me who has $70-80k to drop on something off warranty and known to have a lot of quality issues? If u have that kind of money to risk, why wouldn't u pay bit more and just buy a new 2016 which is being heavily discounted or a used that's still on warranty or dare I say it here, a new Winnebago Era for $100k. Sometimes it's better to just accept wholesale prices now versus whatever wholesale is in 2017 a year. Trying to luck into the one buyer on flaky craigslist land who will pay anything close to retail or low retail seems like a gamble now with the end of summer approaching when buyers hibernate and all the birds in hand fly into the bushes. At least u were selling a EXT.

In summary, I'd say congrats are in order to you.
Old 07-17-2016, 02:25 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucylaud View Post
why wouldn't u pay bit more and just buy a new 2016 which is being heavily discounted
No matter what the discount is on a new AI is, you'll still drop about 25% as soon as you drive it off the lot. The Sprinter is pretty much bulletproof and the Airstream warranty only covers what they actually do like installing check valves backwards. So if the frig or inverter die, you have to go back on the manufacturer's warranty. Now granted some dealers will go the extra mile and help out w/ this type of situation. Mine did.

BTW, what did you decide to do w/ yours?

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
73shark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:50 PM   #25

Tustin , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
No matter what the discount is on a new AI is, you'll still drop about 25% as soon as you drive it off the lot. The Sprinter is pretty much bulletproof and the Airstream warranty only covers what they actually do like installing check valves backwards. So if the frig or inverter die, you have to go back on the manufacturer's warranty. Now granted some dealers will go the extra mile and help out w/ this type of situation. Mine did.

BTW, what did you decide to do w/ yours?
Based on what I'm reading here and what I'm seeing around town seems like whatever tactic I try the answer is still going to be the same and I better get used to a wholesale price if I want to sell. Maybe those veichels that are still on warranty are better off. Or more popular EXT models. One thing is for sure and that's that the prices ain't going up.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:10 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Chicago , Illinois
What are folks' thoughts / experience on trading in for new purchase? Worse than selling outright?
Old 07-20-2016, 12:21 PM   #27

Tustin , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks71 View Post
What are folks' thoughts / experience on trading in for new purchase? Worse than selling outright?
I would have thought you get a better price from dealer on your vehicle if you are trading in / buying a new one vs just outright selling because they can make money on the sale too. However I walked in saying I wanted to sell not trade. He told me the price he is offering is basically wholesale (which is several thousand lower than "low retail NADA price") but if I was trading in he'd offer me only 80% of wholesale. I asked shouldn't he be offering a better deal to someone trading in and buying but he said that's not how they operate. Maybe someone who knows how dealer system works can explain that one to us?
Old 07-20-2016, 07:18 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Chicago , Illinois
That's why I asked. With an auto, I get a better deal trading because they like the margin on selling a used car, especially if it's relatively new and they can certify it. With RV's it must be the opposite. Maybe Re-selling a used RV is just not worth the hassle for the margin for them. That points to the advantage of buying used I suppose.

Anyone have a different experience, i.e. doing better by trading in vs. selling outright?