Old 07-28-2014, 01:57 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
N. Hollywood , California
Ham Radio Operators

I'm thinking of installing a mobile rig in my 2005 AI.
I haven't been very active with ham radio for several years and thought it may be a good to have in the van.
Just wondering whether to mount it in the driving cockpit or somewhere else ?
I wouldn't mind getting a quad band mobile rig 10m/6m/2m/440mhz might be fun to play around with on a rainy day !

mrcolin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:03 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
I'm not a HAM, but I'd vote for somewhere else in the van. How often are you going to use it while driving? Plus, I'd mount any new electronics somewhere away from that big greenhouse windshield…

WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:07 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
I have difficulty monotasking. I do run an APRS rig in the truck when travelling and somehow get some enjoyment at the end of the day going to Google Maps APRS and seeing where I got into the network. I've got a 15 year old 2M/.75M FM rig that I talk about installing.

Alan,,, n4lbl
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:29 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
The rig I use for APRS (Yaesu FT1DR) also scans the NOAA weather channels for alerts. We've been near some scary weather in the past and didn't know it. Now we'll know about alerts and not know what to do.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:32 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Sorry I'm thinking in piecemeal. If you aren't experienced in mobile installations I'd recommend spending some time at KØBG.COM
Old 07-28-2014, 04:06 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member
Durango , Colorado
I second the K0BG site. I have an Icom 7000 installed in my truck.

Not much activity on 2M these days. If I were you I would look into the new Dstar radios like the IC-7100 from Icom. They can do both analog VHF,HF, and Dstar HF, VHF. With Dstar you can DX around the world from a local repeater over VHF. There is a lot of activity on DStar but the number of repeaters is limited. However you can run a Dstar adapter on a computer which allows your computer to function like a Dstar repeater with your VHF Dstar radio.

The nice thing about the new Icom radios like the Dstar 7100 or the 5100A, is that they have a small remote head. This allows installation of the radio almost anywhere and the remote head can be easily positioned in the cockpit using something as simple as velcro.

RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote