Old 06-05-2016, 01:14 AM   #29

1997 21' Excella
Murray , Utah
Thanks for the quick read and I did not mean to offend. If that happened, please forgive me. The last post and the following comes out from my years as an Operations Safety and Compliance Officer, in both the commercial freight and passenger tour company environments. I'm recommending that you just keep it down the middle unless you have a special reason to 'really miss the scale'. This is more cautionary for those attempting this with tow-vehicle/trailer sets.

I understand your specific engineering input needs in this instance, however, depending on which scale you are using, sometimes it is just dicy when getting lined up and placed properly on the 'pads'. On those scales, that are just tough to 'get onto', even the pros miss! All drivers occasionally kinda miss (not all the tires on the 'scale') and there are times you have to wonder to yourself (as a former OTR type) "How did devil did I get on that one properly?" Occasionally, you will see that rollover 'mishap' even with a 2-3 million mile driver sitting behind the wheel.

Generally, innovative modifications (such as you describe) require engineering testing 'special dispensation' to ensure you have the margins required. On CMV's this 'innovation' would require an actual written approval from the FHTSA, issued to the manufacturer, before public road operation would be legally sanctioned. If this approval was not obtained, prior to public operation, then the liability picture shifts entirely to the owner of that (as least legally defined) 'dangerous' CMV equipment. If the OEM manufacture does not provide some sort of engineering approval after review, or they actually fully sanction this modification, your intended design (although, your engineering says otherwise) might lead to that legal conclusion of 'dangerous' under the existing regulations, if events required that level of examination.

My experience is that a letter to the engineering department of the 'chassis' manufacturers' engineering division, usually produces the needed engineering 'envelope' recommendations. They designed it and have the needed specifics (including hidden design features/performance numbers, all discovered during initial testing and field evaluations) that might not be available during any 'external' modification engineering development. Basically they have already done the work, and, if you just give them the numbers they are very happy to 'run-m Dano' (and, there my 'engineering' degrees show up).

This is particularly true when you are talking about Mercedes, who is known for their engineering expertise. You have to understand that beyond just automobiles, they are the builders of the long used European 'Sprinter' designed van/chassis; the manufacturer of the 'SETRA' tourbus line [one of the best designed and safest passenger tour coaches on the planet]; and, still the primary owner of Freightliner Truck (which includes the Detroit Diesel division), acquired when they merged with Chrysler/Dodge.

It is no small guess as to why Airstream picked this particular 'base chassis' to build their great product on top of! I bought my Airstream because of their expertise in building a great 'place to call home, away from home.' :{)

Old 06-05-2016, 01:46 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
You can get a propane conversion kit for a Honda Eu2000i. There are several threads on the subject here on the Forums. Not only that, but you could get a Honda companion unit to run two in parallel for home hurricane kit use, that would provide a total 4kW in place of the Onan's 2.5kW, and still weigh 26% less (46# each vs. the Onan's 125#). Really, the only benefit of the Onan is its low height that allows permanent mount underneath a Sprinter. In every other respect it's an inferior product.

Hi, I think if you check the generator specs. you will find that the Onan will put out 2.5 KW and the Hondas will put out 1600 watts each. [3200 watts for two paralleled] Not 4 KW.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:51 AM   #31
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I think if you check the generator specs. you will find that the Onan will put out 2.5 KW and the Hondas will put out 1600 watts each. [3200 watts for two paralleled] Not 4 KW.
I stand corrected. But the point is still valid.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 05:59 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Off the Honda website:

EU2000i

(EU2000iT1A1, EU2000I1A1, EU2000IKN, EU2000IKC )
Features

• 2000 watts, 120V
  • Ideal for TV/DVD, satellite, fridge, coffee pot, and more
  • Super quiet
  • Easy to carry - less than 46 lbs!!
  • Fuel efficient - up to 8.1 hrs on 1 gal of gas
  • Inverter - stable power for computers and more

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:56 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
The new CAT scales we've seen are flush with the parkinglot and have a reinforced concrete apron all the way around. This is much different from the scales I've used at dragstrips that are elevated a bit above the return lane and would be dangerous to miss with a pair of wheels.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:57 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Off the Honda website:

EU2000i

(EU2000iT1A1, EU2000I1A1, EU2000IKN, EU2000IKC )
Features

• 2000 watts, 120V
  • Ideal for TV/DVD, satellite, fridge, coffee pot, and more
  • Super quiet
  • Easy to carry - less than 46 lbs!!
  • Fuel efficient - up to 8.1 hrs on 1 gal of gas
  • Inverter - stable power for computers and more

Hi, if you go back to that same Honda site and click on "Specs" you will see this:
"120V 2000W max (16.7A) 1600W rated (13.3A)"

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:15 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchali View Post
Thanks for the quick read and I did not mean to offend. If that happened, please forgive me. The last post and the following comes out from my years as an Operations Safety and Compliance Officer, in both the commercial freight and passenger tour company environments. ...

Generally, innovative modifications (such as you describe) require engineering testing 'special dispensation' to ensure you have the margins required. On CMV's this 'innovation' would require an actual written approval from the FHTSA, ....

This is particularly true when you are talking about Mercedes, who is known for their engineering expertise. ...
Oh, no offense taken! On the contrary, I was impressed that anyone read all that stuff I wrote. I didn't initially explain why we did a side measurement because I didn't figure anyone would care or even notice!

To re-state what my husband LB_3 said, the CAT scale was basically idiot-proof. It was very new and well-designed, flush with the concrete surround.

And yeah, there are formal ways to do what we are doing, but this is strictly DIY. Mercedes may be known for their engineering expertise, but based on what we've seen out of Airstream so far, we do not take anything for granted. They altered profoundly what Mercedes produced and pursuant to that, we don't want any more surprises than we've already had.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:04 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, if you go back to that same Honda site and click on "Specs" you will see this:
"120V 2000W max (16.7A) 1600W rated (13.3A)"
Should have known because most, if not all, gensets are usually advertised that way. However most list the max and rated together. Lesson learned.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:16 PM   #37

1997 21' Excella
Murray , Utah
An example of 'missing the scale' (posted by Twisted Truckers/Facebook)..
Even though this is a 'flat design' it still looks really expensive..
Attached Files
File Type: pdf scale.pdf (158.0 KB, 20 views)