Old 01-30-2019, 08:41 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
GPS Antennae Boot Deterioration

Have any of you replaced the rubber boot that the GPS antenna and housing sets on?

If so, is this a DIY project and do you have to take the headliner off the inside to access / loosen the antenna and mount?

Mine is quite deteriorated and I want to replace it.

Thanks
Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	98908DA2-6E1C-477C-926A-26E7E99C55C9.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	205.6 KB
ID:	332659   Click image for larger version

Name:	AF0FF2C2-C906-4A5D-A396-64C2850477C5.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	332660  

Name:	4F43DA67-0BA3-42A0-AB1B-8EBE4567DBC5.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	240.9 KB
ID:	332661  

Old 01-30-2019, 10:37 PM   #2
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Rat View Post
Have any of you replaced the rubber boot that the GPS antenna and housing sets on?

If so, is this a DIY project and do you have to take the headliner off the inside to access / loosen the antenna and mount?

Mine is quite deteriorated and I want to replace it.

Thanks
Mark
RIGRAT - fyi, that's not the GPS, that's the MB OEM radio antenna. I don't understand how such a young unit will deteriorate that fast. Be that as it may -

Remove the lens for the right side dome light, sorry don't have a good pic on file and I am not home to go inside AI. Use a nylon flat tool like ones used for trim removal. It easily pops out. Should expose a small portion of the 2 metal tabs that hold entire dome light assembly in place. Press tabs and pull down entire assembly. You will see the nut and other washers holding the antenna. Take note of the sequences of parts so re-installing will be proper. If you do not disconnect any cables connected to dome light (which I did in pic due to re-wire I did), you should be able to just let dome light hang by it's cables. It pretty light, not gonna hurt the cables.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181017_191018.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	326.0 KB
ID:	332678  

Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
This is also a T1N Interstate issue that every owner should pay attention to. I will have an upcoming project to replace at least one of ours. It's on my spring "to do" list.

IIRC, Maggie had a rust issue develop on her old rig at the site of one of those antennae. This kind of deterioration needs to be taken seriously.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:24 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
Thanks Alex for the tutorial on how to access the OEM radio antenna boot!

Weíre wintering in the desert SW but did encounter an overnight rain two weeks ago. We awoke to a steady drip of water coming out of the right side dome light. So when the rain ended, I went looking for the source and saw the cracked boot.

I donít know if Iíll attempt the repair while on the road or wait until we get back to Ohio. In the meantime with rain forecasted for this weekend, Iíve put some silicone around it as a temporary fix.

I too wonder why our boot went to heck in less than 4 years, but as interblog states, it would be prudent to check it periodically!
Old 01-31-2019, 05:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
The joys of solar exposure

Anything made out of a plastic or rubber polymer material will RAPIDLY deteriorate in the SW Desert sun--the Ultraviolet light levels out here are extraordinarily high and rapidly de-polymerize these materials...add in the ozone and just plain strong sunlight, and stuff falls apart fast. My tire covers lasted just three years before they started shedding chunks of the vinyl covering over the fabric.

Doesn't surprise me one bit it only lasted 4 years or so...when you replace it, try painting it with a good grade of spray paint that does not contain metallic particles. It may slow down the deterioration...a little bit.

The air conditioner shroud is another good thing to paint the same way.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote