Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2018, 07:54 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Southaven , Mississippi
Good Sam Travel Assist

Saw this article over on FB and thought it would be of interest to members over here that may not have seen it.

http://www.latimes.com/business/laza...921-story.html
Old 09-21-2018, 08:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Not terribly surprising. Anytime a company can weasel out of paying for an allegedly covered service, they will. You pays your money and you takes your chances...
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:48 PM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
A better option

I carry SkyMed and have done so for years. More expensive, but worth every penny if needed. SkyMed will get you and your dependents home by air ambulance if needed or by commercial air if you are able. With a 50-mile waiver, you are also covered at home if you need the chopper or an ambulance. They will also have a commercial driver bring your rig home from anywhere. I just renewed for 4 years, probably the for last time (I'm 86).

An Airstream friend, who originally signed up same time I did almost died with a burst appendix in Wisconsin. SkyMed flew him and his wife home to Texas, including ambulances. They then paid airfare and expenses for two of his younger family to fly to Wisconsin and bring his Airstream home. He preferred that to a commercial driver. SkyMed saved him many thousands of dollars.

SkyMed also covers you overseas. They brought a friend back from Switzerland with a broken leg and paid for a companion to help her through plane changes.

SKyMed does not deny you service.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
And this is a surprise from Good Sam??? Notice the prices at Camping World who is owned by the same person who owns Good Sam. Be careful out there when you pay your money. The rich are working to getting richer off of our backs. Good Sam, Camping World membership are something to really research and see if you get any payback. I am skeptical these days.
This story is a case in point of where things go bad in a big way.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 10:36 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
Not terribly surprising, and I'm no fan of Leonis and Camping World among his other ventures. But understand WHY plans like this want and need you to work through them. Providers, particularly medical providers, have a "Rack Rate" the amount they will sue you for if you are uninsured, and a contract rate that they negotiate with various types of plans.

A good example is a medical procedure my wife recently had done: Rack rate = $4,275.00, amount paid by insurance = $1,370.77 -- Fully Paid!!! And: Thigh bone and hip joint prosthesis, Rack Rate = $1,069.00, amount paid by insurance = $186.42 -- Fully Paid !!! The amount actually paid for the procedures is only about 28% what the provider asked for in their Rack Rate.

The question here is whether she is excused from not contacting them first, and from the last part of the article, it's sounds like that is being addressed.

Our current system is badly flawed.
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 02:48 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Victoria , British Columbia
This comes as no surprise to me as well. We had an issue with the roadside assistance division of Good Sam that we could not resolve without firm and unyielding no from Good Sam. We immediately switched to CoachNet and have been satisfied.
Camr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 03:06 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2008 34' Classic S/O
Arnprior , Ontario
no surprise here!

Camping World or Good Sam, its all the same and I don't trust either operations. That's just me and I know that they are loved by many on this Forum so 'nuff said. Just be aware that they are not to be trusted. I buy all of my RV 'stuff' from reputable RV dealers and fill in a lot of stuff at Walmart.
"Good" Sam..... my a@@!
S/OS#88
white laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:39 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Medway , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by white laker View Post
Camping World or Good Sam, its all the same and I don't trust either operations. That's just me and I know that they are loved by many on this Forum so 'nuff said. Just be aware that they are not to be trusted. I buy all of my RV 'stuff' from reputable RV dealers and fill in a lot of stuff at Walmart.
"Good" Sam..... my a@@!
Our view: put them both in a bag, beat the bag with a stick and you hit the right one every time. We will never buy another thing from them.
MAHofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:55 PM   #9
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
It was said earlier, but needs reiteration. Many forms of medical insurance claim process require "Prior Approval." It is almost a medical standard, but not quite. The low Good Sam rates are based on them coordinating the recovery from what ever predicament you are it. They have to contact their contractors first. Otherwise , the reimbursement is out of this world in cost. I would imagine if you contacted an air ambulance before Sky Med you would run into the same problem. The best advice in all cases is to have a reminder on your ID card to call them first. In the case where you are alone, that is what the first responders look for after medical warnings. Be sure they can find it. In other cases, when you are accompanied, they can do that for you. Be sure and brief them before your trip. I appreciate the heads up on this because I too had overlooked the fine print. Good Sam owes us larger printed warnings.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:26 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Parkway
Poughkeepsie , New York
Good Sam Travel Assist vs Sky Med

I asked Sky Med what the difference there was in the Good San Travel Assist and Sky Med and they said the difference is in the word ASSIST, that only helps you get assistance, does not pay for it. I immediately dropped them and signed up with Sky Med. I thought I could not afford the yearly price, but found out there is a monthly plan. Once you sign up and keep up with it, the cost will never go up for you even if it has gone up for new members. Many great benefits with them if you need it, and we never know when or if that will be. Would rather have the security of what they provide.
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 11:59 AM   #11
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
We had a fellow take a fatal fall at a region rally. SkyMed got his wife and their rig home. No fuss. No argument. They really serve the member.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote