Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-17-2016, 07:09 PM   #1
X New Yorker

2013 Interstate Coach
Springfield , Massachusetts
Good Sam Club for Interstate Owners

Is there any reason to join?

I have the upgraded RV coverage with AAA.

Thanks in advance for your opnions.
X New Yorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:25 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by X New Yorker View Post
Is there any reason to join?

I have the upgraded RV coverage with AAA.

Thanks in advance for your opnions.
The main thing I use my membership for these days is 10% discounts at affiliated campgrounds.

When I first joined, I got a $400 per year discount on the RV insurance on my Airstream Interstate for being a Good Sam member. That lasted two years before they tried to raise my rates and I switched to Progressive, but the $800 I saved in two years was plenty worth the membership!
Old 03-17-2016, 08:29 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
I use their Trip Planner regularly to explore camping locations along my route
Mcrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 06:34 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Southaven , Mississippi
I found that AAA was more expensive for me, so I switched to Good Sam. It appears to have better coverage than AAA, but will only know if I ever need to use.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:57 AM   #5
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
I have been a member of Good Sam for several years. Like Protag, I often take advantage of the 10% discount at rv parks but also use their insurance which I like because they have a storage option which allows you to turn off the Liability and Collision portion of the insurance when not using the rv. This puts my total vehicle insurance cost below what I have found with any other company). I also use their roadside assist which covers all vehicles in household (including my motorcycle) for one premium which no distance limitations. I did use it on one occasion with a motorcycle and they quickly dispatched a flatbed to pick up my bike. I also subscribe to their Travel Assistance + but thankfully haven't had to use it.
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 07:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
It seems that this discussion took place a couple of years ago (or maybe my feeble memory is failing) and several reported problems w/ Good Sam when it came to making a claim for damage or towing.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 08:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Good Sam Club for Interstate Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
It seems that this discussion took place a couple of years ago (or maybe my feeble memory is failing) and several reported problems w/ Good Sam when it came to making a claim for damage or towing.

Yes, I think I raised the question on who to use for roadside assistance when my Coachnet expired, and if my memory serves me well, the general consensus was that AAA provided the best chance of getting the best assistance taking into account a low loader may be required.
As for insurance, it's hard to make a comparison when insurance companies all have different deductibles, different claim payments, windscreen coverage, etc. For me Progressive was by far the cheapest, but didn't include windscreen, and in the event the vehicle was totaled, would pay just the current value. Whereas Good Sam (actually National General) would replace with a new identical or equivalent vehicle, and include windscreen. That was important for me. Each state has its own rules.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 05:45 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Salem , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Good Sam was the most inexpensive option for us with the option to discontinue parts of coverage while in storage. I'll let you know on the claims side - currently processing but they have been very s/l/o/w/. Our first trip (February) from New England to the Florida Keys and back was quite eventful: We left in a snowstorm & lost the rear hitch plate via snow/ice kicked up the first day. The rear view mirror camera mount broke the first time we attempted to install the front window covers (and that's with knowing it was fragile). Coming back we went through two days of an ice storm suffering roof damage from ice blowing off semi trailers & outside of NYC a kicked up piece of signage metal destroyed the drivers side rear view mirror. All the road spray caused one of the tank warmers to come unglued and was left hanging by its clamp.

Not what we envisaged for a maiden trip

Still awaiting the go-ahead on the second of two claims. Undoubtedly, we'll see a rate rise after this is all done and clear.

-Robert
Ynefel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 06:21 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We've never had Good Sam insurance, being very satisfied with State Farm and AAA, but did join for one year early in our Interstate ownership.

We learned very quickly that Good Sam Parks could generally be relied on to be good, full service campgrounds....which you sometimes want, for whatever reason....but were always at the higher end of overnight cost with the 10% discount making a negligible difference in savings compared to any public campground....or Passport America's 50% off.

Just sayin'....insurance notwithstanding, don't be sucked in by Good Sam's 10% discount as you will find yourself looking for their campgrounds in order to make your membership fee worth it, and end up spend a lot more money on campgrounds.

Often, too, the Good Sam campgrounds also offer a 10-20% discount for AAA.

Maggie
Old 03-20-2016, 07:37 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Southaven , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
We've never had Good Sam insurance, being very satisfied with State Farm and AAA, but did join for one year early in our Interstate ownership.Maggie
Maggie, are you getting Replacement cost/agreed on value from State Farm? We couldn't get that coverage with them so when it came time to renew on the RV went with Progressive. Just wondering if it is different from State to State or if my agent was incorrect when ask about replacement cost/agreed on value.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:05 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My Interstate is 10 years old with 169,000+ miles on it.

I am sure I don't have replacement cost insurance, and don't know that they even offer that, believe it would be Blue Book value coverage if a total loss, but I would have to check.

I have had State Farm insurance on vehicles and house for decades, and have been very satisfied with their service, claims handling and coverage. Have never had to argue a claim or file an appeal.

Because of the longevity, and bundling insurances, I couldn't beat their rates....and I know that because a few months ago I looked into others because my homeowners has taken such a jump since the death of my husband.

Maggie
Old 03-20-2016, 05:05 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynefel View Post
The rear view mirror camera mount broke the first time we attempted to install the front window covers (and that's with knowing it was fragile).

-Robert
If it's the OEM mirror to windshield attachment, then that should be a Sprinter warranty item if original windshield.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 05:57 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
A close friend just bought a used RV, and asked about which insurance company we use. I had heard about Good Sam being pretty good from the articles in Trailer Life. So last week, we asked for a quote from Good Sam (National General) to compare with our USAA coverage we have had for past 10 years. (We had Nationwide at one time,, but switched to USAA and saved $400/yr.

Changing insurance is a pain to be sure if you are trying to save on house (s), RV, cars, etc...just to get all the discounts!

But, immediately we see another $400/yr savings by switching our RV and car to Good Sam. We can save an additional $300/yr on our home also. All this with increased coverage from what we had, so we are likely to switch here shortly....not an easy comparison...took several hours and 3 phone calls to get all the information, but looks promising with Good Sam.

If there are any additional "cautions" out there from experience with Good Sam, please chime in.
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 04:47 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
It's impossible to compare insurance rates as every state has its own set of rules regarding mandatory coverage. What I pay in Colorado is based on certain coverages mandated by the state and can't be compared to rates in California or any other state.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:15 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
We've never had Good Sam insurance, but we did get the roadside assistance (whatever it's called) after it was recommended by a friend who had to have his Interstate flat-bed towed for quite some distance in a remote area. IIRC, it would have cost them something like $1,500 for the tow if they hadn't had the coverage, so they were well-satisfied.

My least favorite thing to date about Good Sam is the onslaught of junk mail - in a world chock full of junk mail, I've never seen anything like what they do. That alone would make me discontinue if I could identify another package that would offer the emergency coverage, that I would have confidence in.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 04:59 PM   #16
X New Yorker

2013 Interstate Coach
Springfield , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynefel View Post
Good Sam was the most inexpensive option for us with the option to discontinue parts of coverage while in storage. I'll let you know on the claims side - currently processing but they have been very s/l/o/w/. Our first trip (February) from New England to the Florida Keys and back was quite eventful: We left in a snowstorm & lost the rear hitch plate via snow/ice kicked up the first day. The rear view mirror camera mount broke the first time we attempted to install the front window covers (and that's with knowing it was fragile). Coming back we went through two days of an ice storm suffering roof damage from ice blowing off semi trailers & outside of NYC a kicked up piece of signage metal destroyed the drivers side rear view mirror. All the road spray caused one of the tank warmers to come unglued and was left hanging by its clamp.

Not what we envisaged for a maiden trip

Still awaiting the go-ahead on the second of two claims. Undoubtedly, we'll see a rate rise after this is all done and clear.

-Robert
Thanks all!
X New Yorker is offline   Reply With Quote