Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2015, 07:33 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Blog post with a photo series showing the installation of the Hella horns, which we did Friday night. Saturday morning while driving downtown, I had to issue just one horn tap. It's a fairly normal horn, not obnoxious, there was no resulting panic on the beach, no shots fired. All in all, a good upgrade.

THE INTERSTATE BLOG: REPLACING THE HORN ON AN AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:29 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Looks great! I would suggest that you add the protective boots to the 1/4" disconnects to prevent foreign material from possibly shorting them out. And maybe you already did.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:41 AM   #63
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Second - I find myself saying (loudly and with passion), "Hey - we're trying to build a society here!"

Maybe I could just get a loud horn to say that? :-)
I have to ask what you mean by that?
Old 03-29-2015, 12:05 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
I have to ask what you mean by that?

As in - there are other people on the planet. Drivers who are aware of others on the road and aren't hell-bent on getting their own way at everyone else's expense are better members of society (in my opinion).
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 02:47 PM   #65
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
As in - there are other people on the planet. Drivers who are aware of others on the road and aren't hell-bent on getting their own way at everyone else's expense are better members of society (in my opinion).
In your opinion how can the problem be solved?
Old 03-29-2015, 03:11 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Get attention from the BIG BOYS

Quote:
(Edited)
I'm not sure it does, but I thought I just explained how.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 03:30 PM   #67
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
In part, make defensive driving courses mandatory as a condition for license renewal. For everybody.

When I was working for Department of Defense as a civil service employee, one of the conditions of being allowed to drive a motor pool vehicle for work was that I had to take— and pass— a defensive driving course every three years. There was a time early in my career that I begrudged the four hours it would take each time, but as the courses improved and we started having to take National Safety Council certified courses, taking the courses quit being a chore and started being an education.

While I won't take a course every three years now that I'm retired, I will certainly take a course every time I have to renew my license, as much for my own piece of mind as force of habit.
State Certified Defensive Driving Programs

Besides, it could help lower everybody's auto insurance, if we all had to show license, registration, proof of insurance, and proof of passing a defensive driving course every time we were pulled over.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:21 PM   #68
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
In part, make defensive driving courses mandatory as a condition for license renewal. For everybody.

When I was working for Department of Defense as a civil service employee, one of the conditions of being allowed to drive a motor pool vehicle for work was that I had to take— and pass— a defensive driving course every three years. There was a time early in my career that I begrudged the four hours it would take each time, but as the courses improved and we started having to take National Safety Council certified courses, taking the courses quit being a chore and started being an education.

While I won't take a course every three years now that I'm retired, I will certainly take a course every time I have to renew my license, as much for my own piece of mind as force of habit.
State Certified Defensive Driving Programs

Besides, it could help lower everybody's auto insurance, if we all had to show license, registration, proof of insurance, and proof of passing a defensive driving course every time we were pulled over.
Good thinking Protag, maybe make kids take the class once a year until they are 21?
Old 03-30-2015, 05:54 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Good thinking Protag, maybe make kids take the class once a year until they are 21?
IMO, devising ways to make people act up less frequently on the roadways is about as effective as devising ways to make them drink and drive less frequently.

Both are variations on a theme, and both behaviors are merely symptoms of a much larger issue, namely a maladaptive world view in those people.

Any scheme which purports to bring about Behavior B through the imposition of Condition A is making the questionable assumption that we're dealing with rational actors. The evidence (drunk and hyper-aggressive driving) suggests otherwise, which is why people instinctively tend to resort to the imposition of force rather than reason where those individuals are concerned (e.g., see that 8-second vid of the guy who installed the air horn in his Sprinter, the vid I embedded in this blog post).

I'm not saying there's no place for defensive driving and the like - in fact those types of programs tend to work very well as continuing ed for people who were prosocial to start with, in the sense that they amount to a form of preaching to the choir - but what often happens in these situations is that people come to see those kinds of limited measures as "an answer" and the next thing you know, some vote-mongering politician agrees, the measure gets codified, and mostly what it ends up being is a burden on citizens who tended to be law-abiding from the get-go (i.e., the aforesaid choir).

The only way to really tackle the issue is to deal honestly with the underlying maladaptive world views, and that's an area in which America has not exactly excelled on a social level. Not yet, anyway, and in fact, there may be merit to the argument that we are actually getting worse in this regard.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:18 AM   #70
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Nowadays parents don't take the time to teach kids like they used to. They took drivers ED out of high school. They put kids noses in the corner instead of spanking them. Its no wonder kids grow up thinking they can do whatever they want.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:21 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Let me give you a case in point for what I said above.

As we were winding through this most unusual thread, I was simultaneously monitoring my social media accounts. By complete coincidence, a frustrated Mom posted this cell phone pic which I have redacted to protect privacy.

This particular [apparently-hyper-aggressive-driver-of-pickup-truck-who-statistically-might-be-found-not-to-ever-need-that-vehicle-for-any-practical-purpose] appeared to intentionally park like this to prevent this woman (with children and a Christian affiliation decal on the back of her SUV) from re-entering her vehicle through the driver's side. In other words, they don't just act out their aggression on the freeways. They do it in other areas also.

Now, there could of course be some extenuating circumstance that prompted that pickup driver to do this, but if there was a defensible reason, nobody involved could identify what it might have been. There was no parking shortage in this area, nor was there any evidence of a medical issue, etc.

Which leads us to the conclusion that this pickup driver does NOT need defensive driving every three years - this driver needs to go to church. Or whatever church analog would best help to socialize him or her.

In this case, the social media thread originator reported a semi-happy ending - the police were able to arrive in time to ticket the truck for behaving like this. It may not have been a socializing lesson for that driver, but at least it was an enforcement lesson, which is sometimes the best that can be achieved.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AIRHAULER_SUSPECT_ANNOT.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	235173  
Old 03-30-2015, 06:37 AM   #72
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
People park like that all the time in Fl. Type of vehicle or beliefs have nothing to do with it. Peace,jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:55 AM   #73
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post

As we were winding through this most unusual thread, I was simultaneously monitoring my social media accounts. By complete coincidence, a frustrated Mom posted this cell phone pic which I have redacted to protect privacy.

This particular [apparently-hyper-aggressive-driver-of-pickup-truck-who-statistically-might-be-found-not-to-ever-need-that-vehicle-for-any-practical-purpose] appeared to intentionally park like this to prevent this woman (with children and a Christian affiliation decal on the back of her SUV) from re-entering her vehicle through the driver's side. In other words, they don't just act out their aggression on the freeways. They do it in other areas also.

Now, there could of course be some extenuating circumstance that prompted that pickup driver to do this, but if there was a defensible reason, nobody involved could identify what it might have been. There was no parking shortage in this area, nor was there any evidence of a medical issue, etc.

Which leads us to the conclusion that this pickup driver does NOT need defensive driving every three years - this driver needs to go to church. Or whatever church analog would best help to socialize him or her.

In this case, the social media thread originator reported a semi-happy ending - the police were able to arrive in time to ticket the truck for behaving like this. It may not have been a socializing lesson for that driver, but at least it was an enforcement lesson, which is sometimes the best that can be achieved.
The pickup driver probably is an idiot, new ones are born every day and they are here to stay.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:56 AM   #74
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:

You just have to keep trolling, don't you?

All this complaining and zero comment about the absolutely terrible parking job by the SUV that started it all? They appear to be halfway out of the spot and halfway over the line. They should be ticketed, too. Do they get a pass because they're Christians?

And, seriously? They can't get in the passenger side? I've had to do that once or twice due to small parking spots and a largish vehicle, it sucks, but it's not worth calling the cops over. Why don't you analyze that response? "Things aren't going right for me, [probably because of a situation I created,] so let's call the cops!"

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:51 AM   #75
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
The only way to really tackle the issue is to deal honestly with the underlying maladaptive world views, and that's an area in which America has not exactly excelled on a social level. Not yet, anyway, and in fact, there may be merit to the argument that we are actually getting worse in this regard.
Time for me to bail out of this thread. The topic morphed from louder horns to improving people's driving habits, which would lead to less need for attention-getting horns. I was willing to go there.

But if it's going to morph even farther into changing society in general— which is just a gripe session if we don't have constructive and doable suggestions to offer— then I'm not inclined to follow this thread any farther.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:09 AM   #76
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Personally, I subscribe to the principle that "Time wounds all heels". Impolite drivers, and impolite people eventually get their comeuppance.

And yeah, if we're just gonna grump about impolite folk, we're probably inconveniencing too many electrons over this....

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:00 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Impolite drivers are not limited to air haulers/empty pickups.
What's next? A rant about one person in a 2,3,4,5,6,7, or 8 passenger vehicle?
So sorry I can't have a load on my pickup 100% of the time and I drive to work alone on/in a 2 or 5 passenger vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:38 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I love irony.

Some people say 'Jiminy Christmas' in place of 'Jesus Christ'. It has the same initials, has the same meaning, and the blasphemy is likely the same even if it is considered less offensive. 'Gosh darn' has the same initials and same intent as 'God Damn' but is generally acceptable in polite company.

'Air hauler' as the same initials as 'A-hole' and can be used interchangeably however it is somehow MORE offensive than the expletive it replaces. The irony is delicious.

I understand the stereotyping angle and apologize to all the responsible truck drivers on this forum for driving a lifted 4x4 with mud tires and a massive grill guard in my mid 20s. I'm pretty sure I'm the reason all of you fine folks first learned to use your horns and give one finger salutes.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:28 PM   #79
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
Yesterday I had a guy pass me on the Interstate and then immediately cut across in front of me to get to the exit. I laid on the horn and, at first, could not hear anything. The second time I determined it was working as I could barely hear it inside the van. I ordered a set of the Hella horns today!!
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:45 PM   #80
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
I thought this thread had died. Wasn't going to reply.
But it's Easter week after all so coming back to life may be the order of things.
Anyway, I want to go back to the business about stereotyping air haulers.
The first thing I wanted to mention is the idea of target fixation.
Target fixation is an old term that came from air planes and aerial dog fights.
Focusing on that which is in front of you to the exclusion of other things.
I wonder if the person who didn't like air haulers ever thought about it.
She is looking all around for the targets of her contemp when all of a sudden, Wham.
She gets hit by a Beemer, Toyota, Buick or 1963 Falcon...
Moral: The enemy comes at you from all angles and with all kinds of weapons so if you fixate on one thing you might get shot down or hit because you weren't paying good overall attention.
Secondly, I wonder if perhaps it is her own or her daughter's driving habits that may be the cause of some of these confrontations.
You know, driving the speed limit in the left lane, not signaling turns or lane changes, or my particular favorite; stopping on the end of an entrance ramp till the coast is clear because they're too afraid to do a highway speed merge onto the freeway. As if everyone else should make allowances for them.
We all see a lot of people do dumb things while they're driving. But in my experience it's most often someone in a car, not a pickup that starts the chain reaction.
Maybe air hauler types just react differently from what our poster expects. Maybe sometimes they over react. Maybe because their life depends on it or they're just mad at you. Anyway, it's sure worth considering that their reaction might be because of your driving habits and not because of their driving skills, their attitude or a sense of their endowment.
So that ultimately, if you see a lot of mad air haulers it ought to tell you something.
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote