Old 03-30-2015, 07:21 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Let me give you a case in point for what I said above.

As we were winding through this most unusual thread, I was simultaneously monitoring my social media accounts. By complete coincidence, a frustrated Mom posted this cell phone pic which I have redacted to protect privacy.

This particular [apparently-hyper-aggressive-driver-of-pickup-truck-who-statistically-might-be-found-not-to-ever-need-that-vehicle-for-any-practical-purpose] appeared to intentionally park like this to prevent this woman (with children and a Christian affiliation decal on the back of her SUV) from re-entering her vehicle through the driver's side. In other words, they don't just act out their aggression on the freeways. They do it in other areas also.

Now, there could of course be some extenuating circumstance that prompted that pickup driver to do this, but if there was a defensible reason, nobody involved could identify what it might have been. There was no parking shortage in this area, nor was there any evidence of a medical issue, etc.

Which leads us to the conclusion that this pickup driver does NOT need defensive driving every three years - this driver needs to go to church. Or whatever church analog would best help to socialize him or her.

In this case, the social media thread originator reported a semi-happy ending - the police were able to arrive in time to ticket the truck for behaving like this. It may not have been a socializing lesson for that driver, but at least it was an enforcement lesson, which is sometimes the best that can be achieved.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AIRHAULER_SUSPECT_ANNOT.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	235173  

Old 03-30-2015, 07:37 AM   #72
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
People park like that all the time in Fl. Type of vehicle or beliefs have nothing to do with it. Peace,jim

Old 03-30-2015, 07:55 AM   #73
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post

As we were winding through this most unusual thread, I was simultaneously monitoring my social media accounts. By complete coincidence, a frustrated Mom posted this cell phone pic which I have redacted to protect privacy.

This particular [apparently-hyper-aggressive-driver-of-pickup-truck-who-statistically-might-be-found-not-to-ever-need-that-vehicle-for-any-practical-purpose] appeared to intentionally park like this to prevent this woman (with children and a Christian affiliation decal on the back of her SUV) from re-entering her vehicle through the driver's side. In other words, they don't just act out their aggression on the freeways. They do it in other areas also.

Now, there could of course be some extenuating circumstance that prompted that pickup driver to do this, but if there was a defensible reason, nobody involved could identify what it might have been. There was no parking shortage in this area, nor was there any evidence of a medical issue, etc.

Which leads us to the conclusion that this pickup driver does NOT need defensive driving every three years - this driver needs to go to church. Or whatever church analog would best help to socialize him or her.

In this case, the social media thread originator reported a semi-happy ending - the police were able to arrive in time to ticket the truck for behaving like this. It may not have been a socializing lesson for that driver, but at least it was an enforcement lesson, which is sometimes the best that can be achieved.
The pickup driver probably is an idiot, new ones are born every day and they are here to stay.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:56 AM   #74
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:

You just have to keep trolling, don't you?

All this complaining and zero comment about the absolutely terrible parking job by the SUV that started it all? They appear to be halfway out of the spot and halfway over the line. They should be ticketed, too. Do they get a pass because they're Christians?

And, seriously? They can't get in the passenger side? I've had to do that once or twice due to small parking spots and a largish vehicle, it sucks, but it's not worth calling the cops over. Why don't you analyze that response? "Things aren't going right for me, [probably because of a situation I created,] so let's call the cops!"

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:51 AM   #75
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
The only way to really tackle the issue is to deal honestly with the underlying maladaptive world views, and that's an area in which America has not exactly excelled on a social level. Not yet, anyway, and in fact, there may be merit to the argument that we are actually getting worse in this regard.
Time for me to bail out of this thread. The topic morphed from louder horns to improving people's driving habits, which would lead to less need for attention-getting horns. I was willing to go there.

But if it's going to morph even farther into changing society in generaló which is just a gripe session if we don't have constructive and doable suggestions to offeró then I'm not inclined to follow this thread any farther.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:09 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Personally, I subscribe to the principle that "Time wounds all heels". Impolite drivers, and impolite people eventually get their comeuppance.

And yeah, if we're just gonna grump about impolite folk, we're probably inconveniencing too many electrons over this....

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:00 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Impolite drivers are not limited to air haulers/empty pickups.
What's next? A rant about one person in a 2,3,4,5,6,7, or 8 passenger vehicle?
So sorry I can't have a load on my pickup 100% of the time and I drive to work alone on/in a 2 or 5 passenger vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:38 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I love irony.

Some people say 'Jiminy Christmas' in place of 'Jesus Christ'. It has the same initials, has the same meaning, and the blasphemy is likely the same even if it is considered less offensive. 'Gosh darn' has the same initials and same intent as 'God Damn' but is generally acceptable in polite company.

'Air hauler' as the same initials as 'A-hole' and can be used interchangeably however it is somehow MORE offensive than the expletive it replaces. The irony is delicious.

I understand the stereotyping angle and apologize to all the responsible truck drivers on this forum for driving a lifted 4x4 with mud tires and a massive grill guard in my mid 20s. I'm pretty sure I'm the reason all of you fine folks first learned to use your horns and give one finger salutes.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:28 PM   #79
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
Yesterday I had a guy pass me on the Interstate and then immediately cut across in front of me to get to the exit. I laid on the horn and, at first, could not hear anything. The second time I determined it was working as I could barely hear it inside the van. I ordered a set of the Hella horns today!!
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:45 PM   #80
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
I thought this thread had died. Wasn't going to reply.
But it's Easter week after all so coming back to life may be the order of things.
Anyway, I want to go back to the business about stereotyping air haulers.
The first thing I wanted to mention is the idea of target fixation.
Target fixation is an old term that came from air planes and aerial dog fights.
Focusing on that which is in front of you to the exclusion of other things.
I wonder if the person who didn't like air haulers ever thought about it.
She is looking all around for the targets of her contemp when all of a sudden, Wham.
She gets hit by a Beemer, Toyota, Buick or 1963 Falcon...
Moral: The enemy comes at you from all angles and with all kinds of weapons so if you fixate on one thing you might get shot down or hit because you weren't paying good overall attention.
Secondly, I wonder if perhaps it is her own or her daughter's driving habits that may be the cause of some of these confrontations.
You know, driving the speed limit in the left lane, not signaling turns or lane changes, or my particular favorite; stopping on the end of an entrance ramp till the coast is clear because they're too afraid to do a highway speed merge onto the freeway. As if everyone else should make allowances for them.
We all see a lot of people do dumb things while they're driving. But in my experience it's most often someone in a car, not a pickup that starts the chain reaction.
Maybe air hauler types just react differently from what our poster expects. Maybe sometimes they over react. Maybe because their life depends on it or they're just mad at you. Anyway, it's sure worth considering that their reaction might be because of your driving habits and not because of their driving skills, their attitude or a sense of their endowment.
So that ultimately, if you see a lot of mad air haulers it ought to tell you something.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:49 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Back to the topic of horns:

The Hella horns are a nice improvement in tone but don't expect a radical improvement in volume. It's more of a modest gain.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:36 AM   #82

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB_3 View Post
Back to the topic of horns:

The Hella horns are a nice improvement in tone but don't expect a radical improvement in volume. It's more of a modest gain.
Based on the logarithmic decibel scale, it only takes a 3dB increase to double the sound volume. So, working backwards, if you added a second OEM "neep, neep" horn, you'd see exactly a 3dB increase, double the sound volume of one horn.

I suspect that a dual Hella high-low horn package will do a lot better than double the volume; you're not only adding a second horn, but each horn produces more decibels than the OEM horn. You should be able to see at least a 10dB increase (ten times the volume) if not more.

Sound works on the inverse-square law; for each doubling of the distance, the sound volume is quartered. Working the inverse-square law in reverse, for each fourfold increase in sound volume, the distance at which your horn can be heard doubles. That means each 6dB increase doubles the distance at which you can be heard. If you can get a 12dB increase with the Hella horns, you can be heard from four times as far away as with the OEM horn.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 04-01-2015, 02:08 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Horn replacement moved to the top of our priority list yesterday afternoon. Circumstances and logistics have made me hell-bent on taking our Interstate into some of the most challenging urban areas here in America's fourth largest city, which has no zoning, and which has attempted to compensate for obsolete mobility assets by squeezing in substandard travel lanes where they were never intended to fit, and then running commuter trains straight down the middle of the resulting mess.

This pic was taken of my side camera monitor using my cell phone as I was waiting to turn left at an intersection in the Texas Medical Center yesterday afternoon. See where the yellow line falls relative to the side of my Interstate? I was actually lane-centered when I took this. I keep encountering impossibly tight urban scenarios and I need a better horn so that I can issue gentle reminders that, unlike the Smart Cars and Audis that surround me, I'm just barely fitting through, and folks better be mindful of where I am. Houstonians are fairly polite with their horns but they do tap them quite a bit for informational purposes. So it helps tremendously if the horn is actually audible.

Hi, so from what you stated, If you had louder horns, it would instantly make Texas Highway lanes wider to fit your Interstate. I know this isn't a trailer thread, but my trailer is quite a bit wider than your Van. I towed my trailer through down town San Francisco with very narrow lanes and tons of traffic. Never had to use my horn once.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:36 AM   #84

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
I know this isn't a trailer thread, but my trailer is quite a bit wider than your Van.
The narrowest traffic lanes will be 9 feet wide in many residential areas and some urban highways; optimum is 12 feet wide on rural highways, and 10 feet is pretty common on urban highways where they took slices out of each lane and the shoulders to squeeze in an extra traffic lane. In general, the narrower the traffic lanes, the slower the speed limit will be, based on an esoteric formula promulgated by the Federal Highway Administration.

I've driven my Interstate on 9-foot-wide roads in the New Orleans metro area, and never felt like I was in danger of being sideswiped by traffic in an adjacent lane. On the other hand, I've also driven on 12-foot-wide lanes on I-12 where passing semis scared the bejezus out of me because of high crosswinds that made their (probably empty) box trailers swing toward me and threaten to swat me like a bug.

It's all a matter of perception. When you're towing a trailer, your total vehicle size is rather larger than when you're driving a glorified delivery vanó as you so rightly pointed outó and other drivers will make more allowances for trailers because even someone who doesn't tow a trailer expects that a trailer needs more room. Sometimes, it seems that a Sprinter van might as well be invisible, considering the way other drivers leave you exactly as much spaceó no more, no lessó than they would leave any other (smaller) passenger car. In particular, other drivers seem to have no clue how much turning radius a Sprinter van needs.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4