Old 03-25-2015, 08:15 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucet45410 View Post
Freedom doesn't mean that you won't ever be offended.

Now, who's still for Freedom?
I am. And if there's an arbiter of offensiveness lurking in this forum, might I enter my objection to the imposition of political correctness? In my view, it is one of the most extremely offensive practices we have in our society. It is second only to SLAPP suiting in the erosive impact it has on the First Amendment.

Additionally I'd encourage everyone not to take things so seriously and so out of context. Nobody has anywhere to go when that occurs. Let me give you an example of how NOT to take thread comments too seriously. I disclosed on this thread and others that my husband and I are gun owners. Sometimes I find tedious the many snickerings, jokes, and stereotypical references that inevitably arise when gun issues enter the conversation. At times I find those things a bit tedious, but for crying out loud, I don't take offense to them. If I took offense to stuff on that level, I'd spend a lot of my life simply taking offense and I wouldn't get much else accomplished. If on this thread I fell into the trap of taking offense to Florida being referred to as "The Gunshine State", then I'd be compelled to nominate my own self for the Weenie Ego Award for that particular day. Sheesh.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:49 AM   #58
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Anna , Texas
When I was growing up you could tell farm folk from city folk by looking in the beds of their pickups. City folk had nice shiny clean paint, farmers had scratched, scuffed beds with rusty bits of baling wire and other debris lurking in the corners.

Don't remember being intimidated by either one, although I do remember my dad complaining about "farmers" driving 40mph on a two lane country road...

Old 03-25-2015, 11:22 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Kinda like the expression I've heard before. AASO. Arrogant AirStream Owner. Not true, not PC and definitely not any different than other stereotypes. Jim

That's a good one! Remember, AASOs don't dig SOBs :-)

True confession - despite thinking of myself as above this type of reaction - having a massively loud horn would be a terrible temptation. Sure - great in true emergencies (someone about to back in to you but not seeing you, etc) but the moment someone inconsiderately cuts me off or otherwise "invades my space" odds are good I'm leaning on that thing - I'm guessing to remind the offender than in fact I actually AM the more important person on the road at that time (since he or she must have thought otherwise - this honking would set the record straight).

Unfortunately, you never know the state of mind of another driver and engaging like that could bring road rage reactions ranging from nothing to single finger salute (if you're very lucky) to brake slamming to attempts to run you off the road to physical confrontation to gunfire.

I'm not willing to be "dead right" - so I find myself trying a couple other responses (to be honest - not as calmly as this may sound).

First - I try to say out loud - poor fella/lady - they're not going camping today....sometimes that calms me down believe it or not...

Second - I find myself saying (loudly and with passion), "Hey - we're trying to build a society here!"

Maybe I could just get a loud horn to say that? :-)
Old 03-25-2015, 11:45 AM   #60
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
As the originator of this thread, I want to thank you all for your HORN suggestions and positive and negative comments about making any changes. Very enlightening "horny discussion". I never expected the lively personal opinions that resulted. Please go to your rooms and come out when you can have respect for one another. PLEASE!!!
Old 03-29-2015, 08:33 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Blog post with a photo series showing the installation of the Hella horns, which we did Friday night. Saturday morning while driving downtown, I had to issue just one horn tap. It's a fairly normal horn, not obnoxious, there was no resulting panic on the beach, no shots fired. All in all, a good upgrade.

THE INTERSTATE BLOG: REPLACING THE HORN ON AN AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE
Old 03-29-2015, 10:29 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Looks great! I would suggest that you add the protective boots to the 1/4" disconnects to prevent foreign material from possibly shorting them out. And maybe you already did.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 11:41 AM   #63
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Second - I find myself saying (loudly and with passion), "Hey - we're trying to build a society here!"

Maybe I could just get a loud horn to say that? :-)
I have to ask what you mean by that?
Old 03-29-2015, 01:05 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
I have to ask what you mean by that?

As in - there are other people on the planet. Drivers who are aware of others on the road and aren't hell-bent on getting their own way at everyone else's expense are better members of society (in my opinion).
Old 03-29-2015, 03:47 PM   #65
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
As in - there are other people on the planet. Drivers who are aware of others on the road and aren't hell-bent on getting their own way at everyone else's expense are better members of society (in my opinion).
In your opinion how can the problem be solved?
Old 03-29-2015, 04:11 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Get attention from the BIG BOYS

Quote:
(Edited)
I'm not sure it does, but I thought I just explained how.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:30 PM   #67
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
In part, make defensive driving courses mandatory as a condition for license renewal. For everybody.

When I was working for Department of Defense as a civil service employee, one of the conditions of being allowed to drive a motor pool vehicle for work was that I had to take— and pass— a defensive driving course every three years. There was a time early in my career that I begrudged the four hours it would take each time, but as the courses improved and we started having to take National Safety Council certified courses, taking the courses quit being a chore and started being an education.

While I won't take a course every three years now that I'm retired, I will certainly take a course every time I have to renew my license, as much for my own piece of mind as force of habit.
State Certified Defensive Driving Programs

Besides, it could help lower everybody's auto insurance, if we all had to show license, registration, proof of insurance, and proof of passing a defensive driving course every time we were pulled over.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:21 PM   #68
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
In part, make defensive driving courses mandatory as a condition for license renewal. For everybody.

When I was working for Department of Defense as a civil service employee, one of the conditions of being allowed to drive a motor pool vehicle for work was that I had to take— and pass— a defensive driving course every three years. There was a time early in my career that I begrudged the four hours it would take each time, but as the courses improved and we started having to take National Safety Council certified courses, taking the courses quit being a chore and started being an education.

While I won't take a course every three years now that I'm retired, I will certainly take a course every time I have to renew my license, as much for my own piece of mind as force of habit.
State Certified Defensive Driving Programs

Besides, it could help lower everybody's auto insurance, if we all had to show license, registration, proof of insurance, and proof of passing a defensive driving course every time we were pulled over.
Good thinking Protag, maybe make kids take the class once a year until they are 21?
Old 03-30-2015, 06:54 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Good thinking Protag, maybe make kids take the class once a year until they are 21?
IMO, devising ways to make people act up less frequently on the roadways is about as effective as devising ways to make them drink and drive less frequently.

Both are variations on a theme, and both behaviors are merely symptoms of a much larger issue, namely a maladaptive world view in those people.

Any scheme which purports to bring about Behavior B through the imposition of Condition A is making the questionable assumption that we're dealing with rational actors. The evidence (drunk and hyper-aggressive driving) suggests otherwise, which is why people instinctively tend to resort to the imposition of force rather than reason where those individuals are concerned (e.g., see that 8-second vid of the guy who installed the air horn in his Sprinter, the vid I embedded in this blog post).

I'm not saying there's no place for defensive driving and the like - in fact those types of programs tend to work very well as continuing ed for people who were prosocial to start with, in the sense that they amount to a form of preaching to the choir - but what often happens in these situations is that people come to see those kinds of limited measures as "an answer" and the next thing you know, some vote-mongering politician agrees, the measure gets codified, and mostly what it ends up being is a burden on citizens who tended to be law-abiding from the get-go (i.e., the aforesaid choir).

The only way to really tackle the issue is to deal honestly with the underlying maladaptive world views, and that's an area in which America has not exactly excelled on a social level. Not yet, anyway, and in fact, there may be merit to the argument that we are actually getting worse in this regard.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:18 AM   #70
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Nowadays parents don't take the time to teach kids like they used to. They took drivers ED out of high school. They put kids noses in the corner instead of spanking them. Its no wonder kids grow up thinking they can do whatever they want.