Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-20-2015, 12:52 PM   #29
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
That's yet another reason why I often refuse to cut my left turns sharply - my Interstate is already wanting to lean on what has become, during the duration of my left turn, an improperly-banked curve. Every component of that equation works to maximize the exact wrong kind of centrifugal force. It doesn't matter much in a passenger car, but it can count for a lot in an Interstate.
It may be a matter of taking the turn too fast, not too sharply. I used to work at the Army Corps of Engineers in New Orleans. The office was on the Mississippi River Levee, and the parking lot was built on the slope of the levee. You should be able to click the link and see the slope of the parking lot, which is a lot worse than any bank or crown I've ever seen on a roadway:
I've driven my Airstream Interstate to work, and had to drive to my parking space on this side slope, without any fear at all of the van doing a roll-over. But being as it's a parking lot, I was driving slowly on the side-slope.
__________________

__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:52 AM   #30
Rivet Master
 
InterBlog's Avatar

 
2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,429
Horn replacement moved to the top of our priority list yesterday afternoon. Circumstances and logistics have made me hell-bent on taking our Interstate into some of the most challenging urban areas here in America's fourth largest city, which has no zoning, and which has attempted to compensate for obsolete mobility assets by squeezing in substandard travel lanes where they were never intended to fit, and then running commuter trains straight down the middle of the resulting mess.

This pic was taken of my side camera monitor using my cell phone as I was waiting to turn left at an intersection in the Texas Medical Center yesterday afternoon. See where the yellow line falls relative to the side of my Interstate? I was actually lane-centered when I took this. I keep encountering impossibly tight urban scenarios and I need a better horn so that I can issue gentle reminders that, unlike the Smart Cars and Audis that surround me, I'm just barely fitting through, and folks better be mindful of where I am. Houstonians are fairly polite with their horns but they do tap them quite a bit for informational purposes. So it helps tremendously if the horn is actually audible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-WP_20150322_006.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	234789  
__________________

__________________
InterBlog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:06 AM   #31
Newbie
 
joemikeb's Avatar
 
2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Houstonians are fairly polite with their horns but they do tap them quite a bit for informational purposes. So it helps tremendously if the horn is actually audible.
As a fellow Texan I would urge caution with the use of the horn in your AI, especially if it is loud and blaring. Lots of the drivers in those Smart Cars, Audis, BMWs, Chevy/Dodge/Ford pickups, etc. are packing and should be considered hostile. Too many are looking for a way to vent their frustration and an AI with an loud would make a convenient and easy target.

Houston traffic has been notorious since at least the early '50s so I avoid it assiduously even if it means driving 50 or 100 miles out of the way. I don't even want to imagine driving my AI in Houston traffic.
__________________
Make errors — otherwise the Great Spirit realizes
you have finished your purpose on earth.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:24 AM   #32
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemikeb View Post
As a fellow Texan I would urge caution with the use of the horn in your AI, especially if it is loud and blaring. Lots of the drivers in those Smart Cars, Audis, BMWs, Chevy/Dodge/Ford pickups, etc. are packing and should be considered hostile.
And here I thought Florida was the "Gunshine State"!
__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:50 AM   #33
Rivet Master
 
InterBlog's Avatar

 
2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemikeb View Post
As a fellow Texan I would urge caution with the use of the horn in your AI, especially if it is loud and blaring. Lots of the drivers in those Smart Cars, Audis, BMWs, Chevy/Dodge/Ford pickups, etc. are packing and should be considered hostile. Too many are looking for a way to vent their frustration and an AI with an loud would make a convenient and easy target.

Houston traffic has been notorious since at least the early '50s so I avoid it assiduously even if it means driving 50 or 100 miles out of the way. I don't even want to imagine driving my AI in Houston traffic.
We are not getting the train horn - we're getting one of the Hella choices. My husband is doing the final headwork and ordering today.

I don't find people hostile here and I've lived and worked here for... more than 20 years. However, you better know what you're doing because you're going to get what you give. Acting up is not always well-tolerated around here. It's crucial that if you need to send a message, you use the minimum amount of horn needed to convey the information as politely as possible. Texans respond very well to politeness whether they are packing or not (says she who routinely packs).

Initially I didn't plan on doing much Interstate driving through the Houston city core but then life happens when we are making other plans. "Life" in this case involved me not finding an appropriate comprehensive SAT tutorial opportunity for my high school junior in the suburbs. So now I'm on the hook for driving downtown ten times, hanging out downtown for between 3 and 4.5 hours each time as she gets tutored, and then driving back to the 'burbs. The freeways are in such acutely-congested mess right now that it's simply not worth trying to return to the 'burbs for those 3 to 4.5 hours (the metro area hit 6.5 million people recently... it's impossible).

Well, there's no way I'm taking A CAR into the likes of that! A CAR, with four wheels and NOTHING else going for it?! How barbaric would THAT be?! I'm taking the Interstate, essentially doing urban dry-day-camping where I can, walking in the parks, watching TV, reading, napping, and raiding our now-fixed Dometic refrigerator.


This is a good type of situational vignette to contemplate for those who are considering buying an Interstate, but are not sure how useful it would prove to be. We went from asking ourselves "how would we possibly use this thing?" to asking ourselves "how did we ever live without this thing?"
__________________
InterBlog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:28 PM   #34
Rivet Master
 
Boxster1971's Avatar

 
2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,268
http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/2857307...-rage-shooting
__________________
- - Mike
--------------------------
2013 Airstream Interstate Lounge EXT
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:41 PM   #35
Rivet Master
 
InterBlog's Avatar

 
2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,429
Small-number statistics do not worry me. I bet if we looked, there'd be a collection of homicidal road rage incidents in every major city in America. Such as this one:

Road Rage Suspect May Be Connected To Murder Of Arlington Teen « CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

I do concede that I routinely keep my distance from air haulers, though. They are easy to spot and as a group, I perceive them to be more aggressive than average. However, they tend to avoid the Interstate at all costs, because they don't want to be seen next to any truck that is bigger than they are. It's bad for their weenie egos.
__________________
InterBlog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:11 PM   #36
Huh?
 
Ultradog's Avatar
 
1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 494
Images: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post

I do concede that I routinely keep my distance from air haulers, though. They are easy to spot and as a group, I perceive them to be more aggressive than average. However, they tend to avoid the Interstate at all costs, because they don't want to be seen next to any truck that is bigger than they are. It's bad for their weenie egos.
What a narrow minded, stereotyping, despicable post.
__________________
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:02 PM   #37
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultradog View Post
What a narrow minded, stereotyping, despicable post.
Smilie when you say that, pardner! I've got to agree with Interblog here. Stereotypes become stereotypes for a reason; they're true enough to endure. If they didn't have an element of verisimilitude, they wouldn't be called stereotypes; they'd be called slander.

I grew up in Southwest Oklahoma, back in the days when there were no SUVs, just pickups or station wagons. Anybody who owned a 4×4 pickup and never hauled anything in the back end other than air, and never took it off-road where it might (God forbid!) get dirty, was clearly a wannabe worthy of scorn and ridicule. Back in those days, people normally bought pickups because they needed one, and used them until they were used up.

Today, buying a big gas-guzzling 4×4 pickup just so that you're driving something bigger and more intimidating than the people around you— and not because you need it to haul stuff— is still worthy of scorn and ridicule, as far as I'm concerned. It's a clear sign of an immature driver who thinks he can bully other drivers out of his way.

I have nothing against people who buy a big truck because they need one. And that includes everyone who uses one as a tow vehicle. It's only the a-holes who buy one for the intimidation factor that I don't like. Driving a sub-compact Honda Fit as my daily driver, all too often I'm tailgated by people in big pickups riding my bumper so close that all I can see in my mirror is their grille! As if being bigger gives them the right of way.

Funny thing, when I'm driving my Interstate which is bigger than their pickups, they don't tailgate me like that. But when I'm driving my Interstate and pulling my toad, they do tailgate my toad!
__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:15 PM   #38
cwf
Rivet Master
 
cwf's Avatar
 
1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,936
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Horn replacement moved to the top of our priority list yesterday afternoon. Circumstances and logistics have made me hell-bent on taking our Interstate into some of the most challenging urban areas here in America's fourth largest city, which has no zoning, and which has attempted to compensate for obsolete mobility assets by squeezing in substandard travel lanes where they were never intended to fit, and then running commuter trains straight down the middle of the resulting mess.

This pic was taken of my side camera monitor using my cell phone as I was waiting to turn left at an intersection in the Texas Medical Center yesterday afternoon. See where the yellow line falls relative to the side of my Interstate? I was actually lane-centered when I took this. I keep encountering impossibly tight urban scenarios and I need a better horn so that I can issue gentle reminders that, unlike the Smart Cars and Audis that surround me, I'm just barely fitting through, and folks better be mindful of where I am. Houstonians are fairly polite with their horns but they do tap them quite a bit for informational purposes. So it helps tremendously if the horn is actually audible.
Take your "half" from the middle. Put a sticker on rear saying "this vehicle is approved for all Texas roads. "
__________________
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:31 PM   #39
Rivet Master
 
Ron_CA's Avatar
 
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultradog View Post
What a narrow minded, stereotyping, despicable post.
Definitely lame, not sure about the despicable part though.

What get's me is how anyone would know if you did or didn't use your truck to haul things.

Gonna follow me around for a week, month?

Yes I have a truck, a very nice truck. Yes, it is 4 wheel drive and guess what? it is empty most of the time. Why? Because when I haul stuff and get to where I am going, I unload the stuff. Duh. So unless you saw me hauling the stuff, it will be empty. It is also mostly clean. Why?, because I wash it when it gets dirty. Duh

Ridicule and scorn are hardly good choices when interacting with drivers of empty pickup trucks. Sheesh

Come to east San Diego County. It has more trucks per capita (I made this up, but might be true) of anywhere else in the U.S.. A lot of them are lifted with big wheels and tires. I think they look good, if you don't, that's YOUR problem, not theirs.
__________________
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:43 PM   #40
Huh?
 
Ultradog's Avatar
 
1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 494
Images: 8
Try stereotyping other groups here and see how long the mods leave your post up.
__________________
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:44 PM   #41
Rivet Master
 
SteveSueMac's Avatar

 
2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Smilie when you say that, pardner!

...snip....



I have nothing against people who buy a big truck because they need one. And that includes everyone who uses one as a tow vehicle. It's only the a-holes who buy one for the intimidation factor that I don't like.

...snip...

Well first off - howdy, pardner... :-)

How would you know? When I'm towing my AS, you know the purpose of my big honking pig of a 2500HD Diesel truck. When I'm not towing - am I an Air Hauler? Do I fit the stereotype? Am I an a-hole in that moment? (I am at many points in time... :-) )

Seems these days no matter what size vehicle one drives, there's much less general politeness. I've been cut off (in my Air Hauler :-) ) by Honda Civics whose drivers refuse to yield as instructed by signs entering the highway because clearly, they are more important than I am. Their time to get wherever they're going is more valuable than my time to get where I'm going.

Size and purpose of the vehicle doesn't seem to matter as much as the mental state of the driver - and just a few seconds thinking about other people and putting them first could go a long way on the highway, or in politics, or at work, or with family, or in life in general, etc....

By the way, Protagonist - I'm not offended - I'm really just curious about how someone knows anything about the driver when his pig-truck (my words for my beloved rig) is on the road but "off duty" ....
__________________
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:08 PM   #42
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_CA View Post
Yes I have a truck, a very nice truck. Yes, it is 4 wheel drive and guess what? it is empty most of the time. Why? Because when I haul stuff and get to where I am going, I unload the stuff. Duh. So unless you saw me hauling the stuff, it will be empty. It is also mostly clean. Why?, because I wash it when it gets dirty. Duh

Ridicule and scorn are hardly good choices when interacting with drivers of empty pickup trucks. Sheesh
I'm sure you don't use your pickup to intimidate or inconvenience the drivers of smaller vehicles, so I don't consider you to be worthy of scorn or ridicule.

I don't need to follow a pickup driver around for a week to know what kind of driver he is; I only need to be recklessly endangered by him for a minute or so. It's my experience in New Orleans metro traffic that the drivers with the least courtesy for other drivers are the ones who own the biggest, shiniest, and least dented/dinged pickups. They know the intimidation factor of a big vehicle and use it to good advantage.

Do not get me started on pickup owners who think it's fun to go joyriding on flooded New Orleans streets with no concern about where the water they're kicking up is going or the damage it's causing to other vehicles and to homes and businesses along the street.

Okay. I've finished venting. Thank you for your indulgence.

—on edit: in my driving career I've been the owner of four different pickup trucks. Most of the time mine was empty and shiny, too. But I didn't use its size to bull my way through commuter traffic.
__________________

__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Boys cameront120 The Pet Forum 6 05-10-2007 11:51 PM
My Boys cameront120 The Pet Forum 6 02-21-2006 11:16 AM
Toys 4 the Boys...or Girls... canny_banjo_man Off Topic Forum 0 11-24-2004 10:55 AM
Iowa Boys Restoration proxak General Interior Topics 12 11-11-2003 04:02 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.