Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-16-2017, 11:48 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Parkway
Poughkeepsie , New York
Generator Suggestions on B-van

I have a 2006 Parkway, similar to the Interstate and have not been able to start the generator. I took it to someone who used to work for Airstream and he was not able to get it out without getting it on a lift. I told him it was underneath and he said he could do it, but it was a different story when I got there. He still charged me for nothing! I thought I saw something on the forum that someone had changed from the installed generator to a quieter one but have been unable to find that. If my present generator cannot be repaired, I would like to know if someone has replaced the Onan with something else and the kind it was and who did it for them. Thank you for any suggestions.
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
If yours is like ours, the generator is accessed from beneath, and only with your rig on a lift.

Find a repair shop for Onan, and take it in.

They will know what to do with it to try to get it running. It may just need to be serviced.

I always start my engine before trying to start the generator, which gives the battery a boost.

Good luck,

Maggie
Old 05-16-2017, 01:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Cummins onan, same company. Access from rear underneath, either on a lift or just the rear lifted up, and genny drops down. Check oil level first.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 01:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
When I had the interstate I found the onan marginal, just barely worked. One of the reasons I sold the van. Take it to a service center, they will fix you up. Most AS dealers don't seem to be able to work on the genny, at least from my experience. You have a nice van, well worth getting it repaired.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 01:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Ramps might suffice, instead of a full lift. However, watch the re-routed engine exhaust pipe, as it might be just in front of the rear wheel on your model (ours is). It can bottom out on a drive-on ramp. I have to back onto our ramps for this reason. It's a pain.

We will soon be selling a gently-used but well-running Onan for a very good price (it never failed for us but we upgraded to solar and lithium and don't need it any longer). Only 48 hours on its counter. But we're located some distance away from you.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
I also back up on the ramps- and while I didn't measure, it appears that the generator could be dropped if it was on ramps (perhaps with a transmission jack?)

Mine works well (probably the identical one) although noisy and vibrates. We don't use it very much- but certainly is handy when needed.

Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 12:12 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Nevada City , California
Smile In process of purchasing an Interstate 3500 2015 with twin beds

Any advice? I am a senior female and am wondering how to put air in rear tires which are dualies. There are only 7,000 something miles on the Mercedes diesel
engine and the inside is immaculate, but still I worry. Wish it didn't have a generator. Can they be easily removed?
Orson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 12:16 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You go to a tire place, have them check the pressure and add air if needed.

If what you are looking at is one of the all-electric models, you might want to keep the generator for awhile, as you might need it.

Maggie
Old 05-17-2017, 03:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
I thought I saw something on the forum that someone had changed from the installed generator to a quieter one but have been unable to find that.
Here's my thread where I added the Onan muffler.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote