Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2017, 06:48 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Thanks Kwils25... I’ve got to admit I was in a hurry when I tried the resonator fit. Didn’t look too closely when it wouldn’t go on the pipe. I was getting ready to head to dealer for new tires and was focused on that. Next time I visit the storage yard I will take a closer look.
Have to get one installed....last time in a campground I was embarrassed and felt bad for the campers next to me when I fired it up. The resonator at least knocks off the horrible cackle in the exhaust.....when I held it to the pipe.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:53 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
The generator exhaust on my 2013 AI EXT is the same as shown by Wachuko. I bought mine on-line and installed it myself. It is a very simple DIY project for anybody with a bit of mechanical ability. I drove the rear wheels up on 4" wood ramps to give a bit more working room. The fit was tight and I too first thought it would never go. But a little steel wool to remove the rust and then a little WD-40 to lubricate and it did slip together. I measured 3 dB reduction, which most websites will tell you is not noticeable to the human ear. But to me it sounds a lot better (less of a hard rap noise) and I would do it again. I no longer feel embarrassed to be running it.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:05 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Onan does weird things. My MH generator had the exhaust going under and across the bottom of the case. It crossed right where the little trap door for access to the oil filter was. So to change the oil filter, one had to remove the exhaust pipe.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:31 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
I NEVER allow anyone else to work on my vehicles without INSPECTING their work prior to paying and leaving. I'm surprised as detailed as Protag usually appears that he accepted their work without noticing no support-brackets....unless, of course, the install instructs don't require it or if the instructs only state something like "as required" ...which leaves it up to the individual judgement of the installer. I hate those sort of instructs...which is why it's important to personally INSPECT before acceptance. (No offense intended, ...just sayin'...)
Boxite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:44 AM   #25
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
I NEVER allow anyone else to work on my vehicles without INSPECTING their work prior to paying and leaving. I'm surprised as detailed as Protag usually appears that he accepted their work without noticing no support-brackets....unless, of course, the install instructs don't require it or if the instructs only state something like "as required" ...which leaves it up to the individual judgement of the installer. I hate those sort of instructs...which is why it's important to personally INSPECT before acceptance. (No offense intended, ...just sayin'...)
Simple answer… It was raining (in New Orleans, imagine that!), I was in a hurry, and I was not inclined to lay on my back on wet pavement to crawl up underneath to visually inspect it at the time. These things happen.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:00 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Simple answer… It was raining (in New Orleans, imagine that!), I was in a hurry, and I was not inclined to lay on my back on wet pavement to crawl up underneath to visually inspect it at the time. These things happen.
Yep. I get it! (And I doubtless agree with you there is no excuse for lackadaisical workmanship. We shouldn't have to double-check everything...but it's frustrating when this happens to us like that...)

Kind regards...
Boxite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:14 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Madison , WISCONSIN
Quote:
I wonder if Onan changed their generator enclosures—... mine has an exhaust pipe every bit of 5 feet long coming out the top front right of the generator enclosure, not the bottom rear left.
Here's another picture. It's easy to see where the resonator would go on my pipe. In running it this morning I was surprised how much vibration can be felt inside the AI.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	generatortailpipe.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	300169  
sheakev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 05:01 PM   #28
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
I'm with Protag on this. I bought the resonator online for around 30 bucks and had a competent shop install it for $50. It is much quieter when outside, not so much inside.
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 05:21 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
I NEVER allow anyone else to work on my vehicles without INSPECTING their work prior to paying and leaving.'...)

At many facilities this will entail inspecting it in their parking lot AFTER it has come down off the lift (inconvenient) because of “insurance requirements” which prohibit customers from entering the service bay.

If the issue is important, sometimes I have muscled my way back there to look at the work in real time, but that tends to trigger an uproar of some sort.

Last time I did that was was when our buddy’s Interstate developed a propane leak. I thought that I had gotten in and out cleanly but when our buddy later showed up to pick up his rig, the boss man ripped HIM a new one because of what his friend (me) had done that was against policy. But hey, it was propane, and we weren’t taking any chances.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 07:33 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
I bought mine after seeing this video:

[video]

As others have said, my motivation for adding it is to not create so much noise for others.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:37 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post
I bought mine after seeing this video:

I have yet to install it though .

As others have said, my motivation for adding it is to not create so much noise for others.
Great video. Best I've seen (and heard) regarding what the resonator is actually capable of.

Guess I'll order one and get the local muffler guy to weld it on. For <$50 it seems like a decent improvement, and ANY improvement over the stock unit is a good thing.

FWIW, a guy on Facebook posted that he had a muffler kit installed (Onan part number 542-0472) and really liked the result. I don't see where that muffler is approved for use on our QG2500LP, but so far he hasn't had a problem with performance, which would be my only concern given our gennys already have a built-in muffler (so you'd basically be double muffling the poor little thing).
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:46 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Weird. My Onan generator's exhaust pipe exits out the top right— not the bottom left— and then all the way across to exit behind the left mudflap.

Protagonist - you probably have the older Onan KV model with an OHV engine that had exhaust exit on top right. Interstates since about 2012 or 2013 have the newer Onan HGJBB models with a Subaru OHC engine that exhausts on the bottom left.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 11:11 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
St. Paul , Minnesota
Quote:
In all fairness to Onan, even the quiet portable Honda and Yamaha generators would seem louder if you stood right next to them instead of at the opposite end of a shore power cord. But still not as loud as the Onan.

Here's a question for just about anybody with an Interstate: Exactly where does the generator exhaust pipe run? When those hopelessly inept service techs at Onan replaced my fallen-off exhaust pipe without the resonator, they ran it UNDER the generator to make the shorter pipe fit where the longer pipe used to be. Somehow I don't think that's the way it was originally.

I have a 2009, and the pipe runs under the gen, which makes it the lowest piece of equipment, and closest to the ground. This has somewhat concerned me since I bought this AI in February. I have imagined something on the road snagging it. I will re-route it, if possible. In the meantime, I'm going to think better thoughts.
3bcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 01:05 AM   #34
1 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Antioch , California
i bought the resonator off amazon for under 30 and went to a muffler shop with an outside truck lift and they soldered the resonator on while i ate breakfast across the street watching them. and i think they sprayed the black paint or coating over it after install. looks like oem and does make a difference from obnoxiously loud to tolerably loud. worth the cost. i may have paid $150 or more just so I could motivate them to do it right away while i wait and not comeback later in the day.
2452bayliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 07:00 AM   #35
Rivet Master

Houston , Texas
We had the resonator installed by a local shop (Bob Jones RV) and it helps external noise somewhat. But the BIG improvement was another mod: the shop installed a vibration-absorbing mount for the generator. It greatly decreases the noise inside the van, so that normal conversation is now possible. It is now actually louder outside than in.

The mod is not "standard". My shop fabricated the mount from the flooring material people use in horse trailers. Other things might work as well.
TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:06 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

Madison , WISCONSIN
Quote:
Originally Posted by TayaraTravel View Post
We had the resonator installed by a local shop (Bob Jones RV) and it helps external noise somewhat. But the BIG improvement was another mod: the shop installed a vibration-absorbing mount for the generator. It greatly decreases the noise inside the van, so that normal conversation is now possible. It is now actually louder outside than in.

The mod is not "standard". My shop fabricated the mount from the flooring material people use in horse trailers. Other things might work as well.
I find it incredible that Airstream didn't do a better job in isolating the generator's vibration. We have a horse trailer, so I am familiar with the hard rubber flooring material. And since our horse trailer has living quarters we have a Onan 4000 generator, it runs so much more quiet and one does not feel the vibration at all.

Do you have any details on where and how they fabricated the mount? I have a great generator repair place who have worked on our Onan (they are a dealer as well) that I would take it to for this fix. I probably would have them do the resonator add on at the same time.

Thanks!
sheakev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:27 AM   #37
Rivet Master

Bellevue , Washington
An out of box solution to the generator noise is to find ways to not use it!!! Once I upgraded our battery bank to Lithium and doubled the inverter capacity, we are able to run the microwave using it which was one of the top reasons we used the generator.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 02:45 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
There are many threads on the generator noise. I also installed the resonator, plus isolated the hanger and insulated the gen box.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ml#post1989002
Mcrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 07:27 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bcamper View Post
I have the 2.5 KW Onan propane generator hanging under my 2009 AI. I inquired with the local Onan dealer about putting a resonator/silencer on the exhaust of this generator. The cost seem reasonable but when I asked about actual benefits, i.e., how much will it really quiet the generator, he said it's marginal, as it is already a quiet unit. Does anyone have experience with installing these? Was it worth it?
Here's a link to my DIY resonator install thread. I didn't mention that the chrome tip was a P-trap drain pipe that I drilled and tapped two holes in to clamp it to the Onan exhaust pipe. Good luck w/ whatever you decide to do.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 12:25 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
St. Paul , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Here's a link to my DIY resonator install thread. I didn't mention that the chrome tip was a P-trap drain pipe that I drilled and tapped two holes in to clamp it to the Onan exhaust pipe. Good luck w/ whatever you decide to do.

Thanks for this detailed description. I will definitely do this myself.

It appears that your exhaust pipe also is routed under the gen, making it the lowest hanging piece of equipment under the van. Mine is the same.
3bcamper is offline   Reply With Quote